U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:27 PM

19,081 posts, read 19,863,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We are hiring. Other hospitals arond here are hiring. We have a need. Maybe in your area they don't have the same need. Last sememsters nurses from the local school are all working. Let me add that I have noticed a lot of nurses that relied on the overtime money to live on and got way over their head in debt thinking that the money would always be rolling in. Those that lived that way are hurting. Others are doing fine. Not sure if you got caught up in a similar trap. I guess when your bringing in $100,000 a year you spend it like those of us just making $80,000 a year.
Wow, that's pretty amazing. People with two years of junior college bringing in 80k. I certainly got into the wrong field!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 PM

10,768 posts, read 15,488,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Wow, that's pretty amazing. People with two years of junior college bringing in 80k. I certainly got into the wrong field!
You be surprised.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 PM

19,081 posts, read 19,863,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You be surprised.
No doubt.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 PM

4,583 posts, read 9,844,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You be surprised.
The amount a nurse will make will depend upon where they live and what shift they work and how many years of experience they have and a lot of other factors, SOON2BNSURPRISE appears to live in SoCal where the COL is high and the wages are also higher.

You won't find those wages for nurses in say rural areas unless they have lots of experience and advanced degrees and even then it would be rare. The more realistic salary for an RN is in the 55k to 65k...just google RN salaries and you will see that there is substantial difference in salary depending on where you live and again what shifts you work, generally we get more for evenings, nights, weekends and holidays and if your experienced in a specialty like ICU.

Also as a new grad you wouldn't make anywhere near that in most areas of the US, it has been estimated it costs hospitals around 40k to train a new grad and many hospitals have gotten real gun shy because many will quit after a year or so to move elsewhere so the hospital looses big time.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,847 posts, read 44,594,065 times
We have friends that are nurses and another going into a college program. around here all of the openings require a minimum of two years experience as well as a current WA state license. They won't interview out-of-state people
because there are plenty of qualified locals looking for work, as some hospitals have had layoffs.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 AM

4,583 posts, read 9,844,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
We have friends that are nurses and another going into a college program. around here all of the openings require a minimum of two years experience as well as a current WA state license. They won't interview out-of-state people
because there are plenty of qualified locals looking for work, as some hospitals have had layoffs.
Yup and there is the BIG problem for new grads, no experience=no job. I'm a member of the allnurses forum and there are new grads from '10 who've yet to get a full time job or even any job as a nurse. Some are getting only part-time and it's not enough to pay back their HUGE loans they took out to get their RN. New grads are going to have to be way more flexible to get work, the biggest one is to be willing to re-locate to rural areas or other states and for many that's not an option because they went for the AA and have families, homes etc. As I said earlier these for profit schools are churning out RN's along with all the CC's and 4 year colleges and the market is flooded with new grads right now and that's not going away anytime soon, because older nurses are having to work much longer before retiring.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 AM

3,801 posts, read 6,628,323 times
When I was in college and took a psych class, our instructor was in the master's program and told us outright that you can't make any money in psych with just a BA. Starting salaries were maybe $30k.

I also have a friend working on her PhD for clinical psych and prior to that with a master's she only made in the $30s as a researcher.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM

4,714 posts, read 7,805,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
When I was in college and took a psych class, our instructor was in the master's program and told us outright that you can't make any money in psych with just a BA. Starting salaries were maybe $30k.

I also have a friend working on her PhD for clinical psych and prior to that with a master's she only made in the $30s as a researcher.
If your psych background is heavily research oriented, you can make significantly more by going into the corporate sector (such as working in pharma research) than by staying in academia. I know several people with BA/BS or MA/MS degrees that started out as entry level CRAs out of school making in the mid-$40k range and who had doubled that amount within several years.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,300 times
That is not true you can get a good job with a psych degree at the associates level. There are many companies that you can apply for that look for people that are still in school so they can have that experience, so when they finish school you can go off and get a better job or promote though that company. You just have to look around, people that say there is nothing you can do just did not look hard enough!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
Yeah... i didn't know what i wanted to do for college so i procrastinated for a year. Finally was like.. okay, I have to go for something or I never will. I picked psychology and have my associates now... I waitress. Interesting, but otherwise a giant waste of time. Pick something else unless you are extremely passionate and want to go for your Ph. D. I, for one, am starting over and going for nursing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment