U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,123,243 times
Exclamation Mandatory Overtime?

Why is it that one of the many laws not out there to protect the American worker is one regarding mandatory overtime? How much overtime can a company force you to work and why should they be allowed to threaten the loss of your job if you don't want to work more than the 40hour work week you agreed to when hired (then 4 weeks later they move to mandatory 5 10's and 8 on Saturday?) Some of us go home and have to take care of our children while our spouses are working their 14-16hour work days.

I am just curious how companies are allowed to FORCE overtime on anyone. It is so hard to find a full time job anymore that doesn't require more than 40-45hour work week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM

5,254 posts, read 11,127,793 times
Are you talking salary or hourly employment? If hourly, you should be getting paid time and a half over 40 I think.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM

I am not taking about being paid for the time.. I am just talking in general about being forced to work the overtime. Where did our 40hour work week go? I have other obligations outside of work and why should any company be able to FORCE extra hours on employees and threaten to or fire those who do not want to work the extra hours?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:10 PM

27,238 posts, read 25,086,417 times
These are the hours we need you. If you cannot work these hours, go elsewhere.

I can't GET overtime if I wanted it. It's always, "Cut your time, cut your time!" if we get anywhere CLOSE to going over.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:59 PM

5,766 posts, read 4,050,531 times
They only get away with it because people put up with it. I've left jobs for this specific situation. I detest overtime. Life's too short to waste doing that crap. I don't mind an occasional 'crunch' or what have you, but when places specifically understaff and then enforce endless mandatory overtime, it's time to bail. Red flag of bad management.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
These are the hours we need you. If you cannot work these hours, go elsewhere.

That's fine and dandy.. but then maybe the job openings should be more honest about the work hours you want your workers to put in.. instead of putting just Full Time- 1st shift.. besides, I put on my application "40 hours.. no more"

Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,195,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
I am not taking about being paid for the time.. I am just talking in general about being forced to work the overtime. Where did our 40hour work week go? I have other obligations outside of work and why should any company be able to FORCE extra hours on employees and threaten to or fire those who do not want to work the extra hours?
You're free to work elsewhere. In Texas you can be fired for refusing to work overtime. We are a right to work state. I'm suprised you were even hired for putting no more than 40 hours on your application. BUT I do understand what you are saying. I turned in my notice once because of to many hours, but I am talking about 80 a week for months at a time.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:58 PM

701 posts, read 1,400,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
They only get away with it because people put up with it. I've left jobs for this specific situation. I detest overtime. Life's too short to waste doing that crap. I don't mind an occasional 'crunch' or what have you, but when places specifically understaff and then enforce endless mandatory overtime, it's time to bail. Red flag of bad management.
Exactly. I worked for the Petsmart company in one of the distribution centers in the late 1990s. I was initially hired as part-time because I was a student, then my school schedule changed and I moved up to full time.

Unbeknownst to me, once the holiday season rolled around all the full-timers started working until 10, 11, 12 at night - these are hourly employees whose shift started at 5am. I told my boss immediately I was unable to work such hours (and I truly was), and would fulfill my 40-hour shift as I was hired to do and that was it. I was told it wasn't fair to the other workers that I went home at 6pm and they stayed until midnight. "Um, why don't you hire some temporary workers for the season?" I asked. Keep in mind, this job involved packing boxes and loading them on trucks - not exactly skilled labor.

Within a week I was given an ultimatum, so I quit. Their loss, not mine.

The Petsmart company will always be engrained in my mind as a slave trader.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:15 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 1,986,059 times
If an employer is making the staff work 5-10 hours overtime a week or more wouldnt it make more sense to hire one, two, or three more employees? And that way at most the staff would only need to work an hour each? Stupid Corporate America

Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 PM

8,670 posts, read 6,566,940 times
I agree. They would not have to pay the OT and if they were PT, they would not have to offer benefits. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment