Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,802,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I cant find a job thatll pay me anywhere even half respectable because those companies laugh when I want $15/hour and say why should we hire you? We got many people willing to work for $8/hour! Even professional jobs are seeing lower and lower salaries. My moms a teacher and gets only $32k a year. I am seeing doctorates getting only $50k a year and one doctor told me he got $10/hour the first 4 years because no one wanted to hire a "new" trainee doctor for anything but peanuts.

I am sure some of you have the same stories. Any of you get a cut in your wage or "laid off" as the company replaces its workers with those willing to work for less? Its time we stand up and demand fair wages! Most of us are underpaid and im sure you agree!

Thursday I go to that service thats supposed to find me a job as they still cant find me one and I refuse to work for less than $15/hour. I am currently self employed and will be making that much or more anyway. If they find me a fair paying job, good ill work and combined with self employed will have saved enough for my own house
Unfortunately there's a general market for wages and it's better to go by that first for your highest pay. You can always attempt to bargain and/or change jobs for better, competitive pay later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
It really depends on what job you're applying for; if it's a retail store or resturant, then I can see why they won't pay you $15/ hour. What did you apply for?

Heck when I bartend, I make $7/ hour and I'm happy with it! If I told them I wouldn't work for less than $15/ hour they'd say "Next".
Yeah but you make tips right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
If you have little work experience and/or no degree from an accredited four-year university, trade school or community college, you can expect an entry level position to pay way under $15/hour in most industries. Even those with degrees oftentimes must start out in entry level positions in their field of interest that pay as low as $10/hour just to get their foot in the door and usually opportunities for raises and advancements come fairly quickly.
Yeah but if one has a college degree then they need better wages in order to pay it off. I know that slips the minds of most employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,184,843 times
The term "living wage" is in itself a tear jerker term implying people are falling over dead with what they are making now.

whats the opposite of a 'living wage"? Death wage? Lets not play games, this is obviously an appeal to emotion on every level

Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 AM

22,420 posts, read 47,402,095 times
The OP has not been around for SEVEN YEARS now... I hope he is not still living with mommy!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times
These threads should be automatically locked after a certain amount of time has lapsed without a response.

It's always new members who bump these 5 year old threads...

Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,107,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
We know what the past was, so we can compare. $8 is babysitting money and isn't meant to be a livable wage income.

Suddenly, everyone is blathering about how people should go work at Walmart. Those jobs are for second income earners, those with supplemental incomes (retirees), or high school students.

And for those advocating everyone go back to college, so many have college degrees now...unless there are jobs, all the degrees, MBAs etc., won't get anyone anywhere.

Write to your legislators. Keep writing.

No one is protecting American jobs, but they sure rant on and on about how the "free global trade" has to be protected. Well...it's not free, and it's not fair. We Americans, whether white or blue collar cannot compete with near slave wages anymore.

This is spiraling down, folks, and people need to wake up, because who won on Dancing with the Stars or American Idle, or what Paula Deen did with a giant butter stick isn't going to matter anymore.
Back in the recession that started in 1981 I was working for Chrysler corp. I was working on the assembly line making good money. I was married had 3 kids. Unemployment checks were lower back then. I was out of work for nearly a whole year. I finally found a job making $8.00 an hour. And at Chrysler I was making double of that. You try to support 3 kids on $8.00 wll I did. I stuck out that job till I retired from there. Yes my wages went up ,the moral is that I took any job I could get. I even took a job working at the county laundry washing cloths from the county jail, that had notes attached to the laundry bags saying crabs. Or washing sheets from the county mourge. My point is you do what you have to do to earn money. Today's young adults want to start at the top, they want big money without working there way up the ladder.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Back in the recession that started in 1981 I was working for Chrysler corp. I was working on the assembly line making good money. I was married had 3 kids. Unemployment checks were lower back then. I was out of work for nearly a whole year. I finally found a job making $8.00 an hour. And at Chrysler I was making double of that. You try to support 3 kids on $8.00 wll I did. I stuck out that job till I retired from there. Yes my wages went up ,the moral is that I took any job I could get. I even took a job working at the county laundry washing cloths from the county jail, that had notes attached to the laundry bags saying crabs. Or washing sheets from the county mourge. My point is you do what you have to do to earn money. Today's young adults want to start at the top, they want big money without working there way up the ladder.
$8.00 per hour in 1981 is equivalent to $20.94 per hour today, which, from the way you're making it sound, was a huge drop from what you were making on the Assembly Line at Chrysler.

Those same jobs at Chrysler today pay $14/hr starting out today, far less than the $8.00 per hour you were making in 1981.

My point? Your post is not rooted in reality.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM

205 posts, read 244,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I cant find a job thatll pay me anywhere even half respectable because those companies laugh when I want $15/hour and say why should we hire you? We got many people willing to work for $8/hour! Even professional jobs are seeing lower and lower salaries. My moms a teacher and gets only $32k a year. I am seeing doctorates getting only $50k a year and one doctor told me he got $10/hour the first 4 years because no one wanted to hire a "new" trainee doctor for anything but peanuts.

I am sure some of you have the same stories. Any of you get a cut in your wage or "laid off" as the company replaces its workers with those willing to work for less? Its time we stand up and demand fair wages! Most of us are underpaid and im sure you agree!

Thursday I go to that service thats supposed to find me a job as they still cant find me one and I refuse to work for less than $15/hour. I am currently self employed and will be making that much or more anyway. If they find me a fair paying job, good ill work and combined with self employed will have saved enough for my own house
I fully agree with you, however, I had no choice. It was either work two crappy jobs or be homeless and starve. I work at a retail store and there is a chance for moving up but right now I just make $8/hr and it's part time. Ugh, I am also a driver for a pizza place. I made decent money in tips but the wear and tear on my car is not good so its a summer time only job.

I want to say this, that what ticks me off is that I have 3 degrees, an associates in business administration, a bachelor's in History with a minor in Spanish (and yes I am fluent) and a Master's in Public Administration. Hell, my assistant manager at my store has a bachelor's in business and her boss has a degree in Communications. On a side note, there are even places that won't even pay me extra to translate. Well if that is the case then guess what? When they come through my line, I "forget" my Spanish. Sorry! If you can't give me at least a $1 extra then I don't see the point of using my skills there.

Also, although I have management experience, the other thing that really ****es me off is that when I interview for a management position, now the answer is, "Oh, I see you have management experience, but you don't have (insert industry) management experience." Really? There is not much difference in managing people, it's either you can do it or you can't. Personally, I see wages falling and there is nothing we can do about it. I don't see how people make it on anything under $10/hr and to me, that is still low. At this rate, I will never be able to afford a house. I also want to move and get away from this racist area that I am in, but that is not going to happen either unfortunately...

Old 07-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
$8.00 per hour in 1981 is equivalent to $20.94 per hour today, which, from the way you're making it sound, was a huge drop from what you were making on the Assembly Line at Chrysler.

Those same jobs at Chrysler today pay $14/hr starting out today, far less than the $8.00 per hour you were making in 1981.

My point? Your post is not rooted in reality.

You are wrong Chrysler starting wage on the assembly line is $15.78 you can then go to $19.28 in the next UAW contract. My point also is people today are to picky about taking a job. Take what you can get and work your way up. People have to stop making excuses its a employer market out there. Also 313 weather get your facts right. I was making over $15.00 when I was working for Chrysler. I took a job for $8.00 an hr when I was laid off from Chrysler, had kids to feed I took any bull **** job I could get and was happy to get anything.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You are wrong Chrysler starting wage on the assembly line is $15.78 you can then go to $19.28 in the next UAW contract. My point also is people today are to picky about taking a job. Take what you can get and work your way up. People have to stop making excuses its a employer market out there. Also 313 weather get your facts right. I was making over $15.00 when I was working for Chrysler. I took a job for $8.00 an hr when I was laid off from Chrysler, had kids to feed I took any bull **** job I could get and was happy to get anything.
It's hilarious that you consider a $40K job in today's dollar a "bull**** job" in which you were struggling to support a family with, when the median income is $27K.

Yet, you have no problem with preaching to kids who have thousands of dollars worth of debt from school to accept jobs that pay LESS than $40K in todays dollars.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's hilarious that you consider a $40K job in today's dollar a "bull**** job" in which you were struggling to support a family with, when the median income is $27K.

Yet, you have no problem with preaching to kids who have thousands of dollars worth of debt from school to accept jobs that pay LESS than $40K in todays dollars.
I only worked for Chrysler for 3 yrs, then I worked at the job I retired from starting out at $8.00 with 3 kids. I worked my ass up the ladder their till I retired. You take any job that's out there in this tough job market regardless of what you owe in student loans. Any job is better than no job. You can't always start at the top. That's why there is no work ethic today everyone wants to start at the top. Sorry but like it or not you take what you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment