Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:21 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,062,604 times

Advertisements

Because my graphics design business isnt underway yet. If I get a $15/hour or better job, it will only be a short term thing to save more money for a house, I am still going ahead with being self employed and that will make me a living when I relocate.

How do I know my business will do good? I can ask the same question of how do I know I wont get fired or layed off the job? Jobs can be very unreliable, even more so than home businesses so me being self employed offers the best chance for making the most money and also its far less stressful than a job. I wont take any job under $15/hour and I wont keep any job long. Once my business takes off, if I have a job, im quitting it. If I dont find a job that offers me $15+ hour who cares this means more time to concentrate on my business.

You are entitled to your opinion. If a job and silly low wages is what you can deal with along with the long commute, gas costs and a mean boss and lots of stress with worry of being fired or layed off, go ahead. I know what a job is like, I had one and let me tell you, it sucked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 01:28 PM

669 posts, read 3,187,768 times
You say it as though you're guaranteed that your biz will take off. You don't know that it will. Don't assume it will. It would be pretty lucky for it to take off. Most businesses fail (from home).

Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 PM

413 posts, read 2,557,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. If a job and silly low wages is what you can deal with along with the long commute, gas costs and a mean boss and lots of stress with worry of being fired or layed off, go ahead. I know what a job is like, I had one and let me tell you, it sucked!
Then STARVE.

You are not living on a trust fund. Sure some of these things are tough but everyone has to do it and is in it together. There are compromises and tough choices to life. Maybe you have a loving partner that makes up for other problems in your life, maybe playing in a baseball league with your church is the most fun part of your week.

Everyone should contribute to the economy in some shape or form. Not all jobs suck. I agree with the sentiment that you will not make as much money as you would have liked to start out.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,220,154 times
Well said, Wallstreet, well said.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:05 PM

10,160 posts, read 11,128,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Because my graphics design business isnt underway yet. If I get a $15/hour or better job, it will only be a short term thing to save more money for a house, I am still going ahead with being self employed and that will make me a living when I relocate.

How do I know my business will do good? I can ask the same question of how do I know I wont get fired or layed off the job? Jobs can be very unreliable, even more so than home businesses so me being self employed offers the best chance for making the most money and also its far less stressful than a job. I wont take any job under $15/hour and I wont keep any job long. Once my business takes off, if I have a job, im quitting it. If I dont find a job that offers me $15+ hour who cares this means more time to concentrate on my business.

You do realize in order to run a business it requires $$$$$$$. Also, your business could just fold. Happens every day. Less stress owning your own business? You're joking right????

Most people start from the bottom and work themselves up.

You had one job? did I read that correct?

I think you need to wake up and face reality....

Good Luck on your ventures (fantasies)

Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 PM

I don't know why he assumes he's gonna make any kind of money just because other people do. That's a pretty sucky way to go. Other people might make $200k, NAH, but it doesn't mean you're guaranteed anything. Not a hard concept.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:42 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,183,148 times
No offense NAH, but I have seen your website. If that is the best example of your work you are going to have a tough time supporting yourself as a graphic designer. Just my opinion.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,750,963 times
NAH.....I don't know how old you are but I get the impression you're kind of young? I say if it's your dream to have your own business then do it, work hard at it and do the best job you can do. You can do anything if you set your mind to it. Don't settle for less but don't be arrogant and stay positive. Stay focused and set goals, you can do it! Use the SBA web site, there are tons of tips for having your own business and lots of ways to borrow money if you need it. Offer a quality product with excellent customer service.

As far as the internet business, you are doing it at the right time. I wanted my own business for years and tried a couple small ideas but never gave it 100%. I was getting negative feedback about having a business and it would always scare me away. After years of working for other people and never feeling satisfied I'm now giving my internet business attention and I also know it will be profitable. Keep in mind though I have years of experience, many contacts and 20 years computer experience. I see you are using affiliate marketing companies. I do the same, try learning to use Amazon Associates program, it's excellent. Most important you have to optimize your sites and get them first or at least second page in the search engines.

Lastly....spend a lot of time reading about how Google works. They offer so much information, you should really take advantage of it. Good luck and if you work hard, you can definitely work for yourself. Life's short, do what you enjoy.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:11 PM

850 posts, read 3,153,254 times
Default my last thoughts...

It has been my personal experience that self-employed people - beginning their own businesses on a shoestring - DO need a job to support them while they are getting off the ground. You will be hit from all sides with why you CAN"T do this or that, you will be bombarded by those who only have begative thoughts and work daily to bring you down.

Here is the key - you either get it - or you don't.

You can begin a business and say to yourself, well, it probably won't work, but I'll try it anyway. Or - you can attack it with everything you have and MAKE it work.

Be prepared to spend 3-5 years of hard work - really hard work to make it successful. It takes that long. Marketing strategies wil tellyou people need to hear and see something at least 5 to 10 times before they decide to go for a new service. Don't give up. Take advantage of all the free advertising you can get. Offer help to vvolunteer services in the area in the 'name of your business'.
Make your own business cards and darry them always - along with an info sheet if someone asks more questions. Never miss an opportunity to network, network, network.

They told Benjamin Franklin he was crazy regarding electricity - they told Alexnder Graham Bell his idea would never catch on - and if someone had told Bill Gates he could never build an internet empire (and they did) he would not be where he is today.

Look at Steve Jobs and what he has done with Apple. Somebody along the way told him it couldn't be done, either.

The point is - everytime you need/want/have an idea that is your passion (it has to be your passion) do not let anyone sway you. Breathe it, eat it, live it, push it.

And, getting a side job for a respectable amount of money to support yourself in the meantime is the smartest thing you can do. You still have to eat.

Never give in, never give up - and never allow negative thoughts and energy into your circle. I am a Christian, and I believe the impossible is possible with God. He is bigger than we can even dream - allow Him to drive. If what you are doing is what you are meant to do - it will work regardless.

Christianity aside - any doubt will squash your dreams. DO NOT allow it into your life.

Believe, and every new day thank God you have another day. I have seen your website - stay with it. Your message is wonderful - in my opinion - it needs to be screamed from the rooftops!

Only POSITIVE - and you will make it.

( I have been through this x2 with my husband's companies - and now work on my own ideas. I am with you. It's not easy - but you will get there.)

And - no - settling and living paycheck to paycheck is not acceptable. WHOSE dream is THAT?

KimmieyKY

As A Man Thinketh, So Does He Become....

Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
No offense NAH, but I have seen your website. If that is the best example of your work you are going to have a tough time supporting yourself as a graphic designer. Just my opinion.
Agreed.

Also, to the person who said you should have a job while you start the biz: I've told you 500 times NAH. You should listen to that part if nothing else. You always want the cop-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment