Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times

Advertisements

Is it still possible to get a job with bad credit?

I'm afraid a Background check will ensure my denial of getting work. Is there hope? All I can do is keep trying, but ...dang! I'm starting to wonder why I bother.

I have bad credit, to be honest.

I've been unemployed awhile now and starting to fear I'll never get a paying job again. Its going to be awhile before my debts are settled.

If I was single I could setle out thru Bankruptcy and start over, but I can't as that would get my spouse fired and then we'd REALLY be in trouble.

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 10-01-2008 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
It depends on your field of work. If a job involves handling money, being in charge of a budget, or working in a financial institution even without handling money, they will do a credit check, and it will matter.

But most background checks that non-finance employers do (or pay a consumer reporting agency to do) don't involve credit history. We use agencies that have names like "credit reporting agancy" but we are only looking at criminal records, driver abstracts, and employment verification, not consumer credit history.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:22 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Background checks are different than credit checks. Background checks are strictly for arrests/convictions. Not all companies do credit checks, but most do background checks these days. If you have a clean history with no criminal activity, you might still be able to get a job, but as TracySam mentioned above, anything regarding safeguarding of assets may also require the credit check.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,366 times
Bad credit can affect you when applying for government, security, or government supplier/contractor companies as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 PM

260 posts, read 675,811 times
Why would your spouse get fired if you declared a bankruptcy?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 PM

81 posts, read 341,844 times
I'm glad you asked this question.

I just got "hired" at a company that deals directly with financial institutions and they most definitey did a credit check. In fact right on the online application they tell you they do and the recruiter whom I talked to advised me of this as well. I had to be upfront and tell her that my credit was basically bad but I had reasons why and it was not a reflection upon the type of employee that I am. I pretty much figured I was toast at that point. Somehow, I passed the credit check and subsequesntly went through the interview process and was offered a position. So dont give up hope...if someone like me with crappy credit can pass then you probably can too!

Good right?!

Well, here's whats got me walking around squeezing my butt cheeks for the next couple weeks (until the day I start training): They gave me an offer sheet that says, the offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen and background check" OK, well drug screen, no problems there...The background check I am worried about. I have no criminal convictions or activity of any sort but 2 of my past companies that I gained important experience working for are no longer in business/exist. I put them on my resume and applications becuase again the experience I gained from them pertains to the position I was looking (and got hired) for. It's not like I lied about working at these places and they can be easily verified by looking at w-2's, tax forms, etc. Do you think they will pull they offer away from me for this?? Also, I got terminated from one of the places I listed but listed the reason why I left was to "persue other employment opportunities" (this was a major company whom I think only verifies employment and dates).

I passed a drug and background check for another company last month but I know that not all companies use the same service.... I am so stressed out because I really want (and need) this job!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times
I was with the government, and was pretty sure if I ever left it, I'd have a hard time getting back in. Granted anyone couldbe having a hard time with the economy and the issues the government is having right now.

I don't want to end up flipping burgers one day tho, is what I'm afraid of.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
And, NOT all employers will even call your last employer for a reference........my last employer did not call my previous employer! I called the lady that I worked for and she told me that she didn't get any calls about me at all! For my last job, I didn't get a Credit check done on me, only a Background/Criminal was done. I personally think that a lot of companies out there want people to believe that they are going to do all of this "checking up", but they really don't......just depends on the job a person is applying for. Now, for certain jobs, I do believe in giving a Competency Test.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:21 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Now, for certain jobs, I do believe in giving a Competency Test.
I wish more companies would do that.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
I just interviewed today at a Placement firm that places factory workers to engineers. I was applying to a $30 to $35 /hr Proe job. They knew I was a good candidate but the job said "No Felony." I told them I had a felony and how I got it. They said they'd explain my felony to the client and see what happens. Total works - criminal, drug, credit, and even a test for the interview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search