Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 27,335 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with snag-a-job? Because there is something I do not understand. After submitting my resume, I keep getting job offers from them. I answer them, even the ones I am more than qualified for - because I need to get back to work. (springfield, PA). But each and every time - no matter what the job is, 2 seconds after I e-mail my application I get the following response:
Unfortunately, your application did not meet the current needs for this position.

Then why offer me the job? Why so fast to respond? Is anyone looking at it? And every time, they try to get me to apply to a college? So are they trying to get me a job or are they recruiting for colleges?

If anyone knows anything about this site, please let me know. I would very much appreciate it.

-Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
That is quite crazy.
Most of the time I don't really look at the emails I get from them telling me that so and so is hiring.
I think the website is mostly for younger people, or so it seems sometimes. Maybe it only shows me the job that most people in my age are qualified for or based on my work history. I'm not quite sure.

I would check out indeed.com. They don't send you any emails.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
oh oh-indeed they do
indeed.com won't stop sending me emails. Most of the jobs listed there are older and they snag the listing from monster or hotjobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
That is quite crazy.
Most of the time I don't really look at the emails I get from them telling me that so and so is hiring.
I think the website is mostly for younger people, or so it seems sometimes. Maybe it only shows me the job that most people in my age are qualified for or based on my work history. I'm not quite sure.

I would check out indeed.com. They don't send you any emails.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You have been scammed. It's the ol fishin for legit email game. There are many fake job ads out there. There is no job. It's a scam to accumulate good working emails, package up large bundles of them in lets say bundles of 1000 and sell them to spammers. The fact that you got an automailer is unusual. For fun why dont you send in another app. But this time use nothing but one letter. I bet you get the same automailer.

Emails are sold for about 10 cents per thousand. If an email is cross referenced to an email that has ever made an on-line purhase from Amazon or Ebay or whatever then that email can now sell for maybe a quarter each. Now just think of the money to be made selling emails for a quarter apiece. For a bundle of 1000 that comes to $250.00. Now figure those who sell these emails to spammers are accumulating millions of mails to bundle up in packages to sell. Good money huh.

From there these sellers can package emails up in catagories to target a more specific sucker. They sell these mails for an even higher price.You applied for a job? Wait and see all the job related spam mails you get now.

MAY ALL SPAMMERS DIE A SLOW DEATH IN HELL !

Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
They are behind those "Get a degree in _____" places which are always running commercials. Ignore all those scammers. Sure, you can apply for a loan/grant from the Gov't, but, as long as the "degree" place gets its money upfront, they aren't what they are cracked up to be and you're still stuck with the loan.

And never put your phone # on these "applications."

Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You have been scammed. It's the ol fishin for legit email game. There are many fake job ads out there. There is no job. It's a scam to accumulate good working emails, package up large bundles of them in lets say bundles of 1000 and sell them to spammers. The fact that you got an automailer is unusual. For fun why dont you send in another app. But this time use nothing but one letter. I bet you get the same automailer.

Emails are sold for about 10 cents per thousand. If an email is cross referenced to an email that has ever made an on-line purhase from Amazon or Ebay or whatever then that email can now sell for maybe a quarter each. Now just think of the money to be made selling emails for a quarter apiece. For a bundle of 1000 that comes to $250.00. Now figure those who sell these emails to spammers are accumulating millions of mails to bundle up in packages to sell. Good money huh.

From there these sellers can package emails up in catagories to target a more specific sucker. They sell these mails for an even higher price.You applied for a job? Wait and see all the job related spam mails you get now.

MAY ALL SPAMMERS DIE A SLOW DEATH IN HELL !
desertsun hit the nail on the head!!! I've suffered these spammers and its sooooo frustrating. Recently, LYCOS contains posts of spammer jobs (fake jobs) and expired posts. I'd been using Monster, Careerbuilder, Yahoo! and local newspapers for job searches. More than half of the alerts I get from LYCOS are either already expired or don't exist (I actually emailed the USAjobs contact to see if it actually existed as listed on LYCOS - NOT). Not all listings are online either so it pays to actually read the local paper job classifieds in hardcopy.

Last edited by justhere; 01-26-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 20,381 times
snag a job and job link are both scams. job link makes you pay to go to work for fake employers. they take $65.00 from your pocket when your unemployed, scum bags.littleboy blue & 32cent.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Sna-a-job isn't fake. After you click to view jobs you'll get a screen where they want you to give info for some for profit school. There's always a "No thanks" button. Click on it and you'll get to the actual job listings or application. I know several people who got jobs through snag-a-job, my son got one a couple of years ago but turned it down because he got a better offer elsewhere the same day.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Sna-a-job isn't fake. After you click to view jobs you'll get a screen where they want you to give info for some for profit school. There's always a "No thanks" button. Click on it and you'll get to the actual job listings or application. I know several people who got jobs through snag-a-job, my son got one a couple of years ago but turned it down because he got a better offer elsewhere the same day.
Good post, even Monster and Career Builder operate this way nowadays......very sneaky. I just took a look at it, looks like a very good site to find hourly jobs. In fact, if you live near NYC, it will pop up a job for being an after-school tutor for Bell, I actually got offered this job but turned it down because a more substantial "almost f/t" job happened for me that I'm starting in January that is in CT and ends too late to also do the Bell job. So the jobs on there are definitely very legit.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Our local Kohls (I believe) said you had to apply via Snag-a-job this year. So, I don't know how much of a scam it is.
Rarely now can you just put an application in anywhere. It's all online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment