U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2008, 01:54 PM
 
1,577 posts, read 2,377,419 times
Reputation: 512

Advertisements

The honest answer isn't what they wanna hear: I need a job and you have an opening. (Bottom line). No one "wants" to work for a retail store *example) but they needed a job.

What are you supposed to say when asked this (and they almost always do) without brown nosing or sounding patronizing?

I'm not a big kissbutt, so I never really know what to say that is gonna be truthful and not sink my chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Memphis
948 posts, read 2,498,562 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
The honest answer isn't what they wanna hear: I need a job and you have an opening. (Bottom line). No one "wants" to work for a retail store *example) but they needed a job.

What are you supposed to say when asked this (and they almost always do) without brown nosing or sounding patronizing?

I'm not a big kissbutt, so I never really know what to say that is gonna be truthful and not sink my chances.

I understand what you are saying exactly. And I have no idea. I usually make something stupid up like " Because I really want to try out a new career" ( as a cashier..)I hate those question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood, DE and beautiful SXM!
10,030 posts, read 11,267,055 times
Reputation: 24897
If you research the company, you should find reasons why you want to work there. If you really need a job, knowing a good bit about the company would give you a better chance of getting hired. Of course, your research may also show you that you don't want to work for a particular company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 PM
 
1,577 posts, read 2,377,419 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I understand what you are saying exactly. And I have no idea. I usually make something stupid up like " Because I really want to try out a new career" ( as a cashier..)I hate those question
lol so do I. But then I feel like I'm kissing their butt and I hate that Its like "Why ask? You just want me to make up something nice."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Sanford, FL
718 posts, read 2,818,729 times
Reputation: 353
I need the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
 
Location: in my mind
2,746 posts, read 9,785,490 times
Reputation: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
lol so do I. But then I feel like I'm kissing their butt and I hate that Its like "Why ask? You just want me to make up something nice."
I totally agree. It's a dumb question, but ya gotta deal.

I usually try and find some outstanding factoid about the company and throw that in there. "Because I really feel my values are in line with your mission statement and you provide a service that would allow me to be proud to work here..." ..... "Because I admire your companies policies on diversity/the environment/community support/charity/whatever"..."Because I would love to work for an innovative company that is the leading ______ in the industry".

Yes, it's a kiss-butt question. Would you just once love to say "Because my kids are going to starve if I don't get a job" or "because i'd rather NOT be homeless" or "Because I like having electricity at my house"??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,237 posts, read 26,926,017 times
Reputation: 10597
What's wrong with the answer you gave in the OP? It's honest, anyway, and shows that you're an honest person.

You also might add that you have experience in the field you're interested in working in (if you do), and you want to bring that experience to them, show them what you're capable of doing for them.

I tell companies what I can do for them, instead of what they can do for me...and it usually works. Last time I went job hunting, I couldn't find anyone willing to pay me as much as I was currently making, much less a raise on that amount--so I was better off remaining with the employer I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 05:57 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 2,377,419 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What's wrong with the answer you gave in the OP? It's honest, anyway, and shows that you're an honest person.

You also might add that you have experience in the field you're interested in working in (if you do), and you want to bring that experience to them, show them what you're capable of doing for them.

I tell companies what I can do for them, instead of what they can do for me...and it usually works. Last time I went job hunting, I couldn't find anyone willing to pay me as much as I was currently making, much less a raise on that amount--so I was better off remaining with the employer I had.
True. I tend to be honest and then throw in the experience I've had and how it would be an asset to them. As far as flattering them or their company, I rarely do something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Major Metro
1,085 posts, read 1,513,493 times
Reputation: 338
Don't go with the "I need a job line". Basically when employers ask these questions or questions like what other companies are you looking at, they are trying to gain how seriously you take your career decisions and will you be here for the longhaul. If you say you'll work anywhere or name dozens of companies in unrelated industries, two things stand out 1) You're desperate and have no idea what you want to do in life and will likely continue to seek a job not a career; 2) You mean you have looked at all these places and they don't want to hire you. Why should we? Now, if you want to bag groceries or be in telemarketing or collections, you're probably fine with the generic response but it definitely won't work in the professional arena. Better answers would be:

*I've been following your company and I'm very impressed that your stock has outperformed your industry... (you can easily find this by googling)
*I had a chance to review your website and some of the values you listed like ___, ____, and ____ really spoke to the things I also value.
*I have been keeping up with your company for a while. You have an exceptional brand as an employer.
*___ referred me for this position and she/he spoke so highly of their time here that I was intriqued by the opportunity to work here as well.
*I like the idea of working for a small, progressive company like yours where I can get more intimate knowledge about the organization.
*I like that you're a global company that will allow me to pursue my dreams of expanding my knowledge on the domestic and international front. I'm mobile and look forward to a long-term career with this organization.

Select anything you like that's specific to the company so the interviewer feels you have really "chosen" them just like they will have chosen you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,237 posts, read 26,926,017 times
Reputation: 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Don't go with the "I need a job line". Basically when employers ask these questions or questions like what other companies are you looking at, they are trying to gain how seriously you take your career decisions and will you be here for the longhaul. If you say you'll work anywhere or name dozens of companies in unrelated industries, two things stand out 1) You're desperate and have no idea what you want to do in life and will likely continue to seek a job not a career; 2) You mean you have looked at all these places and they don't want to hire you. Why should we? Now, if you want to bag groceries or be in telemarketing or collections, you're probably fine with the generic response but it definitely won't work in the professional arena. Better answers would be:

*I've been following your company and I'm very impressed that your stock has outperformed your industry... (you can easily find this by googling)
*I had a chance to review your website and some of the values you listed like ___, ____, and ____ really spoke to the things I also value.
*I have been keeping up with your company for a while. You have an exceptional brand as an employer.
*___ referred me for this position and she/he spoke so highly of their time here that I was intriqued by the opportunity to work here as well.
*I like the idea of working for a small, progressive company like yours where I can get more intimate knowledge about the organization.
*I like that you're a global company that will allow me to pursue my dreams of expanding my knowledge on the domestic and international front. I'm mobile and look forward to a long-term career with this organization.

Select anything you like that's specific to the company so the interviewer feels you have really "chosen" them just like they will have chosen you.
But I am not interested in a "career"...just a job to pay the bills. Until I get sick of the job and/or people, then I'll look for someone else willing to pay me more money than I'm earning at THAT job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top