Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,365 times

Advertisements

Its the same thing if someone said garlic isn't going to do wonders for your breath. Doesn't mean anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:30 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times
I just took our company's course on Sexual Harrassment...and no, that was a sexist comment but it would not be considered sexual harrassment.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,620 times
To the OP. Wow! I wouldn't even tell that story to my wife. She would be furious and it didn't even happen to her. She would of hit the guy. At the very minimum quit on th spot after telling him off.

I agree it is probably not sexual harrassment. But definitely harrassment. I would check your state laws. There are harrassment laws beyond just sexual in some areas. Although some of them might be company created which doesn't help you

Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
It's no wonder people are scared to hire women....we had a boss tell one of his employees that she looked nice....you got it...he spent the next 6 weeks explaining himself.

This comment was just a comment. A stupid one but it wasn't harrassment.

Don't make it harder for people who are actually victims by persuring this nonsence.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
It seems like you're really struggling to come up with something, anything, to have a basis for a lawsuit or to collect unemployment. It sure seems like quite the stretch to me. If you're so miserable, move on--yes, times are tough but damn, this type of stuff has got to be wreaking havoc on your body and mind. Is it worth it?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
ROTFL No. Please give us all a break, that is so petty and silly. It is not sexual harassment. If you took that to court you could make like $10 in "emotional damage" fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraS View Post
Everyone has their own definition but I wanted to see what the you guys would say about this. And yes(as you can see by my previous post in htere), I can't stand my job and I am currently looking for something else. Anywhoo. This didn't "feel" right to me. What do you all think?

My boss(the president of the company) walks in the cafeteria and sees me cutting a donut in half and says "thats not going to be very good for your womanly figure". I haven't checked into anything or anything yet and surely not based on this comment but women are treated differently hear. Okay, so is it?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
"you look nice" is a stupid comment??????? Since when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
It's no wonder people are scared to hire women....we had a boss tell one of his employees that she looked nice....you got it...he spent the next 6 weeks explaining himself.

Don't make it harder for people who are actually victims by persuring this nonsence.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:22 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
And by the way.........he's right. Donuts aren't good for your "womanly figure". He's probably more worried about the company's insurance premiums than he is about bedding you.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:39 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
Ive had two things in the past happen, and it comes down to this.
Sexual harrassment is whatever the other person interprets it to be.

And, following that, its the person who believes that they were harrassed, to tell the person, that they felt offended by that remark. Once that was said, if another remark was ever said again in that manner, then it would be harrassment, (albeit, I don't see the sexual side in that, maybe offensive, especially if she's overweight) but either way, he's been warned, and thats where the ticker starts counting. So, to the OP, if you want to PLAY that card, then you have to let him know that you find his remark offensive, however tactfully you can, then the ball is in his court if he makes another stupid statement.

Case in point, I used to work for AT & T, had to wear suit and Tie, whereas women didnt, I hate ties, I made the comment to one of the females one time, wish I could wear an open collar top like ya'll, and not have to wear a tie. Swear, that was the statement. 2 days later, Im doing sexual awareness because she told another employee that wanted my job the statement and she twisted it to be that I was looking at the female employees breasts. I didnt even talk to this person, and it was a heresay statement about ties.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post

I couldn't agree more. These laws were based on how a "reasonable" person would feel or respond. Some people are "super sensitive" and tend to find nuances in everything that's said. The comment was inappropriate but nothing close to harassment of any kind. I do think women are challenged more to be hired into certain jobs or industries not because of legitimate claims but frivolous ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment