Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,895,728 times

Advertisements

Reading this it really slammed home how bad the situation has become. We all need to hold on to our jobs with all our might no matter how bad off we think we might be. I thought of the saying "He was a quiet Man" after reading the end comment of this tragic story.

LOS ANGELES - An unemployed man with an advanced finance degree who was despondent over his own financial problems shot and killed his wife, three children, mother-in-law and then himself in an upscale home in a gated community, police said Monday. ADVERTISEMENT

Officers found the bodies Monday morning after the wife failed to show up at a neighbor's home to go to work, Deputy Chief Michel Moore said. The deaths occurred sometime after Saturday evening.

A handgun that had been bought Sept. 16 was found near the father's body, Moore said. The father left two suicide notes — one for police and one for friends and relatives — and a will.

The notes attest to the man's financial difficulties, and he takes responsibility for killing his family members, Moore said.

The family members' names were not immediately released because police wanted to make sure the children's schools had time to make grief counselors available. The children were sons ages 19, 12 and 7.

The man had a master's of business administration in finance, formerly worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers and Sony Pictures, but had been unemployed for several months, Moore said.

Moore did not specify what financial trouble the man had been in. He noted that the family did not own the home.

PricewaterhouseCoopers spokesman Steven Silber had no immediate comment. Sony Pictures Entertainment spokesman Steve Elzer did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

The gated community, called Sorrento Pointe, is among several developments along curving lanes and cul-de-sacs set on the foothills of the Santa Susana Mountains in Porter Ranch, about 23 miles northwest of downtown.

Ryan Ransdell, who lives across the street, said the house had been occupied by the family for about a year.

"They didn't socialize too much," he said. "They kept pretty much to themselves."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,063,357 times
I saw this story and thought it was very sad.
It could be anyone.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 AM

732 posts, read 4,156,463 times
I can understand killing yourself but why everyone else?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,378,421 times
I don't know... Last month, 159,000 Americans lost their jobs. Most of them didn't kill their family. Must be something else that caused this massacre. Living in LA, perhaps?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,442 times
I read this earlier and thought it was tragic. It must be a terrible feeling to be so despondant that you feel the only way out is to kill yourself. I suspect there is more to this story than what was reported.

There was another story yesterday about a 90 year old woman who tried to kill herself when the police came to evict her from her house, which was being foreclosed on. She shot herself twice, but lived.
This woman had few options because of her age. She wasn't in a position to go to work to pay her bills. Fortunately, the bank decided to let her keep her house.

We are living in scary times!

If you have a job and can pay your bills, consider yourself lucky. It doesn't matter if you don't like your job. Be thankful you have one and can keep a roof over your head. Better times will come but we all need to be thankful for what we DO have.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 AM

8,935 posts, read 20,356,695 times
See this happening more and more and just don't understand WHY???? And, it has happened due to loss of job, deep-deep depression, divorce, couples fighting.......just numerous things that promp this sort of behavior that years ago didn't happen. Someone PLEASE explain to all of us......where in the heck our society is heading to???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post

Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,059,966 times
FLASH BACK

It looks like the Great Depression beginning to repeat itself. I'm afraid this is only the start of despair and suicide.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 AM

78,318 posts, read 60,504,089 times
These types of stories are NOT new, the guy went insane, might be why he lost his job in the first place and couldn't find work. (chicken or egg type situation).

This happened with a close family member and fortunately he only did himself in and it was the mental problems that occurred first.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,241,425 times
These are th etypes of things that would happen during the depression. The bleak perception of the future, the news getting worse every day, the sense of responsibility to take care of his family the way they were accustomed, growing weary of being unemployed...some people have lower thresholds for pain, be it emotional or physical.

I doubt this will be an isolated event as we keep getting hammered with newscasts and the upcoming election.

Hopefully everyone can just hang on tight and ride this out.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I don't understand that either. I'm sorry but I cannot feel sorry for this man because he's a murderer. If he wanted to off himself fine, but he should have at least let his family decide their own fates.

Last edited by yayoi; 10-07-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment