Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times

Advertisements

Even when the kids are older they still have to follow the school district's wierd days off and early dismissals. Esp around holidays and spring break. We won't touch Summer Vacation.

How do you as a working parent (or someone looking for work) figure that out with an employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
We live in a state other than my 'home one.'

My husband and I have no family here and we have only been able to work it out by him having a night job. I am supposed to be working days (I was from March til August when I finished my temp job). I am still looking for work.

We have no one else to watch our child. I was a stay at home mom years till we moved here. No relatives ever offered to watch him so I could work even when we lived in our home state.

Instead they told us how proud they were of other people's adult children with nice houses and nice jobs (and GRANDPARENTS who helped out!!). We figured we might as well 'be on our own' totally and just live life without 'family hassles'.

Anyhow, we do it our way. It's lonely for me at night but it's the only way. Of course it's a stress on my husband especially since I am currently unemployed.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:04 PM

81 posts, read 341,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Even when the kids are older they still have to follow the school district's wierd days off and early dismissals. Esp around holidays and spring break. We won't touch Summer Vacation.

How do you as a working parent (or someone looking for work) figure that out with an employer?

Fortuantely my hubs (we) have a small home business so he is able to be home, but even with that, I just took a position working graveyard shift (Im a night owl anyway, might as well get paid for it and I'll use some of down time to study anyway!) so that I can be available to take my son to school and be there for him after school, cook dinner, etc., when he gets home! I am really blessed to be able to do that because I am a firm beleiver of not letting these kids nowadays have tooo much idle and unsupervised time!

We are on Fall break right now and it's for a whole week....what do full time day shift parents do? And what if the kids are older (like 'tween age) and cant be stuck in day care?? Our district also has an early release day in the middle of the week and I feel sorry for all those kids who are in Kids Care from 12:30 until sometimes 6:30 () because parents have to work....

That's just life I guess....

Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
I don't know where you live, but when I lived in NYC, I relied on the YMCA. Although I had plenty of family, I preferred to keep my daughter away from negative family members. The Y picked children up from school on half/full days and kept children during breaks. It cost more for the breaks, but it was well worth the effort. We knew who picked her up everyday and either me or my ex picked her up from the Y. Also, we took rotation among close friends, one of us would take vacation and keep all the children than the next one did it for the next break.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
I don't know where you live, but when I lived in NYC, I relied on the YMCA. Although I had plenty of family, I preferred to keep my daughter away from negative family members. The Y picked children up from school on half/full days and kept children during breaks. It cost more for the breaks, but it was well worth the effort. We knew who picked her up everyday and either me or my ex picked her up from the Y. Also, we took rotation among close friends, one of us would take vacation and keep all the children than the next one did it for the next break.
That could be an option if we could afford it. I can look into that. Last I checked it was like $150 a week during the school year. But that was like in '06.

CinBunz: I hadn't really considered working nights. My spouse is very much against it and doesn't want to be alone at night. There's some jobs that are off the table for me unless we're on the verge of destitution and have no choice, which thankfully we're not at.

Its just a matter of catching up and eliminating a couple small debts and we'd start being in the green again. Its so close I can taste it, but we never have that small amount 'spare' cash to pay them off and free up some money.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:15 PM

81 posts, read 341,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
That could be an option if we could afford it. I can look into that. Last I checked it was like $150 a week during the school year. But that was like in '06.

CinBunz: I hadn't really considered working nights. My spouse is very much against it and doesn't want to be alone at night. There's some jobs that are off the table for me unless we're on the verge of destitution and have no choice, which thankfully we're not at.

Its just a matter of catching up and eliminating a couple small debts and we'd start being in the green again. Its so close I can taste it, but we never have that small amount 'spare' cash to pay them off and free up some money.
Can totally understand...Mine wouldnt normally like it either, but my job is...2 minutes (OK, 2 and 1/2 min when I get caught at the stoplight) from our home and I will be coming home for lunch and probably one break! He is a nightowl too so it works out!

Would he approve of a mid shift type position?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
The age you have to really worry about is when your kids turn 13-14...everyone thinks I can go back to work because my kids is old enough to make himself a snack and stay inside alone..

Wait till some 'friends' catch on your 'little one' has the house to himself...that's the age where the problems start. Young teen years need supervision!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
The age you have to really worry about is when your kids turn 13-14...everyone thinks I can go back to work because my kids is old enough to make himself a snack and stay inside alone..

Wait till some 'friends' catch on your 'little one' has the house to himself...that's the age where the problems start. Young teen years need supervision!
Oh ya, I know. When day care and babysitters are no longer an option begins the really scary stuff about child care ... adolescence (yikes)

Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabunz View Post
Can totally understand...Mine wouldnt normally like it either, but my job is...2 minutes (OK, 2 and 1/2 min when I get caught at the stoplight) from our home and I will be coming home for lunch and probably one break! He is a nightowl too so it works out!

Would he approve of a mid shift type position?
Not sure. I'll mention it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment