Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

You can chit chat about where is the best place to live in the US ad nausea but it still doesn't alter the fact that West Londoner cannot work in the US unless she qualifies and thus far it appears that neither she nor her boyfriend doesn't and so can't. That's the bottom line. Cheers from a curmudgeon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM

354 posts, read 2,430,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can chit chat about where is the best place to live in the US ad nausea but it still doesn't alter the fact that West Londoner cannot work in the US unless she qualifies and thus far it appears that neither she nor her boyfriend doesn't and so can't. That's the bottom line. Cheers from a curmudgeon!

...and why are you so concerned with this.....

Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
...and why are you so concerned with this.....
Doesn't matter to me a rat's patootie actually! The OP asked about living/working in the US and my initial response was simply en pointe where immigration laws are concerned. One can discourse at length about where in the US the OP might be more comfortable living but unless she's eligible where US immigration is concerned, any discussion really has no merit.

As I mentioned earlier, she needs to investigate what's required where US immigration is concerned. Hope I answered your query. Cheers!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter to me a rat's patootie actually! The OP asked about living/working in the US and my initial response was simply en pointe where immigration laws are concerned. One can discourse at length about where in the US the OP might be more comfortable living but unless she's eligible where US immigration is concerned, any discussion really has no merit.

As I mentioned earlier, she needs to investigate what's required where US immigration is concerned. Hope I answered your query. Cheers!

Whether or not she can actually obtain status to move/work in the US was not her question...she asked about places to live so I don't really see the need to remind her of what she has to do to become a US citizen....

Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLondoner View Post
You can't get anything decent for £200,000 let alone $200,000 in London. The average wage you would need to earn to be able to afford a modest house is £70,000 per year. It is very difficult.
NYC is just as, if not more expensive than London. In NYC you won't find ANYTHING even remotely near $200k. You'd be looking at $500k+ for a 1 bedroom apartment, a detached house will run you over $1M.

I too would look at Texas if I were you, dirt cheap housing prices and decent jobs.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Whether or not she can actually obtain status to move/work in the US was not her question...she asked about places to live so I don't really see the need to remind her of what she has to do to become a US citizen....
But doesn't the circumstance predicate? Feel free to carry on as we're obviously talking in circles and my sage advice has become redundant. Cheers!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
But doesn't the circumstance predicate? Feel free to carry on as we're obviously talking in circles and my sage advice has become redundant. Cheers!
No....no need to carry on...you have made your point and I have made mine....

Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
NYC is just as, if not more expensive than London. In NYC you won't find ANYTHING even remotely near $200k. You'd be looking at $500k+ for a 1 bedroom apartment, a detached house will run you over $1M.
That is, of course, thoroughly ridiculous. There are eight million people who call New York City home, and I would like to say that the overwhelming majority of us cannot and do not pay anywhere near half a million dollars for a one-bedroom apartment. (The majority of us don't rent on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, either ). Look outside Manhattan, and watch those rental rates decrease!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:47 PM

16 posts, read 31,677 times
Quote:
I am originally from Mississippi which is known to be deep south and extremely racist, however I never experienced any direct racism. On the other hand it wasn't diverse at all. Certain races and social classes lived together while others stayed in other parts of the city. However, Houston is nothing of the sort. I actually experienced a little culture shock when I moved here because I wasn't used to the diversity in race. There are all nationalities, races, social classes here and everyone gets along. My husband is black and white, I am black, one of our next door neighbors is an Indian family, the other is hispanic. I live in an upper class neighborhood and it is comprised of whites, blacks, indians, asians, hispanics, etc and we all get along just great!! It's a very diverse city!!!
It is really nice to hear, that you live happily in a multi-cultural neighbourhood. There are so many states to choose from and pros and cons for many of them. It is very difficult. I suppose the best way to know, is to visit the places first hand and get a real feel for them. Could prove very expensive with the amount of states you have!! I would have to really research the location carefully before I started to seriously contemplate looking for work overseas.

Thanks again and take care XxX

Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM

16 posts, read 31,677 times
Quote:
How do you know I do not qualify to work in the US based on my postings? How do you know my boyfriend doesn't? You barely know a thing about me or him. You could be correct, but you seem to be jumping the gun in a major way with your negativity. You seem to have a problem with UK residents working in the US, yet there are thousands of Americans working in London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment