Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:17 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My degree is in business admin with a concentration in accounting--one of the best things I ever did. I've never had trouble finding a well-paying job with that degree.
I sure hope my career turns out the same way. I am working on a BA in accounting right now and I am looking for an internship or ft general accounting work. Everyone wants experience!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 10:15 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Working in the HR sector, I can say that it's not always the college degree that will get someone hired, or allow them to stay on the job. Our recruiters have declined candidates with degrees for various reasons, but one of the biggest is the candidate's attitude.

We had a degreed engineer who was terminated because he was not a team player and was consistently rude and demeaning to coworkers. They tried to work with him to correct his attitude (with warnings about termination); but he was never able to work well with other people, and chose to continue belittling people.
I agree. Degrees simply open doors closed to you with only a high school diploma, and generally speaking, will offer you a better salary. They never guaranteed anyone a great job. They just increase your chances of landing a professional one. Beyond the degree, there are so many other factors that come into play, like attitude and personality, previous work experience, willingness to relocate, whether or not you're suited for the type of job you're looking for, etc. It's what you do with the degree, not what the degree does for you.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I agree. Degrees simply open doors closed to you with only a high school diploma, and generally speaking, will offer you a better salary. They never guaranteed anyone a great job. They just increase your chances of landing a professional one. Beyond the degree, there are so many other factors that come into play, like attitude and personality, previous work experience, willingness to relocate, whether or not you're suited for the type of job you're looking for, etc. It's what you do with the degree, not what the degree does for you.
Right now its the previus work experience that's closing down doors for me. It's still to early to tell if my degree didnt work out since I only graduated a month and a half ago.

I agree with that others have said that a degree does open doors for people. Like my mom said at least you have the chance to get a good professional job while many others don't even have that oppurtunity.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 PM

197 posts, read 734,696 times
I have a 2 year degree in IT, and if I had known beforehand that the IT industry pretty much hires people with certificates, I would have gone for that instead. Being hearing impaired I have been working with Vocational Rehabilitation (they purchased my hearing aides). They've had me go through 4 hours of psychological evaluation and two hours of vocational testing, and you know what they recommended to do for a career? Information Technology, DESPITE my saying that I was no longer interested in working in IT, but that I was interested in teaching, the nursing field or the accounting field. After all that testing, they "fell back on your education" and said that I have enough transferable skills to land a job in IT. Yeah, I guess being able to connect lines to dots, do a simple algebra problem, be able to spell and have an ability to remember strings of alpha/numeric characters up to 7 characters, means I should be able to get a job in IT.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
College degreed people still earn more than those who don't have a degree. However, what's ironic is that the people in my social circle that don't have them, earn more than most that do. Some trades pay really well, particularly if you get into a union.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I believe going to college is being oversold by the education establishment. Too many people go to college right out of high school because that's just the next step to do. But college is expensive. Just showing up with no plan of what you really want to do seems like a waste of money. Of course, if your parents are willing to pay then the expense isn't on you. College degrees are good in many technical fields but in a lot of social science fields they are worthless unless you are at the top of your class and go on for a post graduate degree. People should think harder before going to college without a plan as to what they really want.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:17 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I really don't know many 18 years old who 'know what they want to do' with their lives.

How mature!

It's not realistic to be 18 and say "I want to do XYZ the rest of my life so I will go to college SPECIFICALLY for this and do that."

Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 AM

197 posts, read 734,696 times
On the other hand, there are only so many jobs one can try out, without some college education, in order to determine if that's what they want to do or not. That's why colleges suggest getting 'gen ed' courses out of the way, WHILE taking miscellaneous courses (to see if it's something that would be of interest), that way the student is making progress. Yes, the institutions wind up making more money this way. I definitely agree that institutions are over-selling their programs. IT is NOT a lucrative field to get into, nor are there that many opportunities. That's reality.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
I'm thinking going for atrade seem not only cheaper and faster, but also offers more job security. Be it a carpenter or a plumber, someone somewhere will have a need for you. Even garbage men get paid well and have no education at all. College degrees don't always bring in the bucks, its just another thing to add to your resume (and you'd be suprised how many people don't check on it). That shocked me. Downside of degrees is that the older they get, the less impressive and current they are for people.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Degree in Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations. Graduated Magna *** Laude...Right out of school I was hired for a terrific job with a pharm/medical company as a program coordinator. Was there 2 months and had to quit due to relocation to another state for hubby's job. I believe my degree PLUS my accomplishments in school PLUS my age all landed me that job. (I was considered a returing adult student and graduated at 27) I also believe working through college at a retail store as a pt manager helped.
Moved to the other state and found another job right away with an ad agency as a new business coordinator. Had to quit after 3 months-just wasn't qualified for it...SOmehow it turned into a graphics position and I had no clue about that and everyday I would go in an cry at my desk b/c I didn't know what I was doing, lol!
Found another job within a month at a non-profit as a communications coordinator. quit after 6 months due to sexual harassment and discrimination. (I didn't sue, but I did go to the board of directors and filed a complaint)
found another job a month later. LOVED it. Marketing associate for 6 real estate offices. Favorite job ever. Had to quit after 5 months due to hubby relocation to yet another state.
got pregnant with twins the day we moved and couldn't go back to work b/c of having a high risk pregnancy and then twins...daycare too expensive for two infants.

What is my point? I think right out of college I was a good catch. I had worked through college, did well in college, had a great internship associated with Disney, and networked. But now that I am ready to go back to work, I am having a very difficult time finding one. I am starting to question my degree and my "jumping of jobs" ...Another thing to consider is unemployment. When I first was out of school there wasn't a high unemployment rate...now the economy is in the tank and I am competing with people who have a lot more experience.
So...who knows. But I am glad I have my degree. I can tell my kids that I would like them to go and they can't say "well you didn't" lol and I am sure one day it will help me find a job again. I am not where I thought I would be career wise, but I made sacrifices for hubby's job and for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment