Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:08 AM

186 posts, read 549,453 times

Advertisements

I have a 2 year Tech degree, and member of the IBEW. I work electrical & instrumentation at various Power stations. I work right beside guys with EEs, PHDs. The one guy wrote 8 books, and I'm thinking man this guy is going to pick apart my grammer and spleling. I looked at going back to school but the cost of tuition is just crazy. Like what you do and take it serous. It's nice to have hope but you have to have common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I wish I had studied a trade like plumbing, electrician, etc. instead of wasting 6 years of my life (B.S. Business, MBA) and make less than my father did as a factory worker. All my high school buddies that studied trades are much better off than most of us that went to college. College is way over-rated.
I strongly agree. This is going to become even more the case as more and more students go to college and less study blue collar trades. Blue collar work is where the money will be in the future. College has become "High School Part Deux". It doesn't hold the prestige it once did. To all the teenagers here, before you buy into everything your high school guidance counselor will tell you, remember that its their job and they get recognition is more seniors go into to college and/or get scholarships. There are some that its great for, but not everybody is college material, and having everybody in the running is ruining it for us all.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
americans got their egos way too wrapped up in credentials and debt. i love VE at jr college and military level no debt and quick to get my favorite is RN. student loans are non dischargable. banks just love it when people go to college and take italian 101, body building and ethnic studies.
50% drop out rate and the bank still gets paid.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
I have not read this whole thread, but right about now I am thanking my lucky stars I have two degrees (one an MBA), plus a certificate in HR management from UC Berkeley (good school and a 4.0 at that) and a couple of certificates from language schools overseas.

For anyone doubting the value of eductation - don't. I am 49 and at this point I think it is saving my ass.

Go to school, even if it seems pointless. Having said this, choose a marketable major.

The one thing I've ALWAYS held on to...jobs can come and go, they can take them away at will. However, an education is yours alone and NO ONE can take it away from you.

Last edited by movin'on; 11-28-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Go to school, even if it seems pointless. Having said this, choose a marketable major.
Agree. There are many majors out there that are either totally unmarketable, or their field is so narrow that its very difficult to find work even in good times, let alone during a recession.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:15 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times
I got a BA in psychology, which is useless. I needed at least a master's, or if not a PhD, to get a real job in the field. I wasn't into it at the time so I switched fields. I went into a master's program for library science, and it just wasn't for me. I dropped out after the end of the first semester. I was so sick of school and I had no clue what to do. I continued working in libraries until I got a couple hip surgeries that in a nutshell made it impossible for me to get to work anymore. So now I need a job and have only a crappy degree. I'm hoping there are more jobs available next year if the economy turns around.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 AM

mine did. but i shot low. jr college VE is undervalued. RN is my favorite jr college debt free purchase. what impresses me is i am now seeing threads like yours. 6 months ago angry CDF posters righteously defended giant student loans and useless degrees. them days are over.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:16 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
mine did. but i shot low. jr college VE is undervalued. RN is my favorite jr college debt free purchase. what impresses me is i am now seeing threads like yours. 6 months ago angry CDF posters righteously defended giant student loans and useless degrees. them days are over.
Them days have always been over. I got my undergraduate in 1984. Had to make it marketable. Got an MBA in 1993 - again a marketable degree. Got my certificate in HR management from UC Berkeley - a marketable school. Throw in the bilingual stuff and it makes me MARKETABLE. I don't know when thinking in terms of marketability ever went out of style. The point is to get an education to get a job!

RN is another good degree. I, personally, don't have the constitution for it, but it's a good degree to have.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Them days have always been over. I got my undergraduate in 1984. Had to make it marketable. Got an MBA in 1993 - again a marketable degree. Got my certificate in HR management from UC Berkeley - a marketable school. Throw in the bilingual stuff and it makes me MARKETABLE. I don't know when thinking in terms of marketability ever went out of style. The point is to get an education to get a job!

RN is another good degree. I, personally, don't have the constitution for it, but it's a good degree to have.
yes part of the game is marketability, but not at absolutely any cost. and not with a blind eye to risk of failure.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 AM

55 posts, read 267,707 times
A few of my observations over the years:

* College isn't the only answer - Trade work is plenty rewarding financially

* I think people rely too heavily on the degree itself to find them success.

* No matter what you do, LOVE IT!

Don't pick a college major based because you think it will pay a lot of money.
Don't pick a trade unless you LOVE doing that kind of work.
The people who excel in their fields generally are the ones who LOVE what they do; they're willing to put in some extra time and effort to really shine.

* Find out what real happiness is for you

Do you really need a $250k job to be happy?
Do you really need a McMansion to be happy? (you get the idea)

A bit of my background:

I have a BS in Computer Information Systems (50% IT courses, 50% business courses) from a reputable regional school and I graduated Magna *** Laude. But I've always done well w/ computers, since I was 8, so it was a no-brainer. I have a steady job working as a Sr. Systems Administrator for a non-profit. My degree has gotten me in a few interviews as it's been commented on, however, my attitude, my past track record and problem-solving abilities has ultimately gotten me the jobs.

I make less than $70k (not a whole lot for the Boston area) right now, but I have a certain amount of job security as I cover a large amount of ground and have made substantial improvements at my job for very little cost. My wife stopped working this past summer due to her pregnancy (she has a LOT of doc. visits as she is high-risk) and we bought a small 840 sq ft 2 br condo last month about an hours drive from my job.

Things are tight, and I wish we had more income, but all our bills are covered, and we can put money away in savings as well. We're comfortable and we're happy.

What makes you happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment