Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:13 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,285,877 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons I went into nursing was to avoid outsourcing. It's pretty difficult to outsource a nursing job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:14 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,498,849 times
I have a cousin who is a teacher, and believe it or not, she has no clue that the economy is bad. She can't figure out why I don't have a good job. And she lives in Ohio.
She has no clue that jobs have gone overseas, and is really baffled when I clue her in.

Now, to those with a job, it's never a recession, but it seems she just doesn't want to look beyond her own comfy situation.
She will have a pension to retire with, with benefits.

The people who don't have to worry should be worried, because it's the nation they live in, and it will affect them in some way.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
One of the reasons I went into nursing was to avoid outsourcing. It's pretty difficult to outsource a nursing job.

Don't worry, everyone is going into nursing.
As one hospital exec said, it is their goal in corrobation with the schools, to take down nursing pay levels.

Right now, everyone is going into nursing, and you will see what those of us in the tech fields have seen. The schools will pour people out. The schools are pointing everyone, male and female, into nursing. "Because that's where the jobs are" and "you can be sure to get a job when you get out."

I can say right now, I know of 15 people going into nursing.

Hospitals don't like paying you the big money right now, and they used to pay nurses on the level of teachers. That is why the schools are making it so easy for anyone to get in and get through a nursing program.

So don't think any job, or any profession is recession proof.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Well I could really understand the outsourcing "IF" CEO's pay hadn't gone UP so dramatically these past 10-20 yrs . But what it seems like to little ole me, is that any cost savings went into the BIGWIGS' pockets instead of expanding the business or pay increases (COLA) and/ or keeping medical premiums down for their employees . And that's just MY EXPERIENCE with very large High Tech firms !

Yeah, when CEOs are retiring with $40 million packages, and the workers are being laid off.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,285,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
So don't think any job, or any profession is recession proof.
Well ... I know you're convinced nursing is going the way of IT but, I'm still gainfully employed and making great money during this recession.

You still overlook one key fact: aging baby boomers are driving up demand for nurses. And of those 15 people are who going into nursing ... many won't make it.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,244,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I have a cousin who is a teacher, and believe it or not, she has no clue that the economy is bad. She can't figure out why I don't have a good job. And she lives in Ohio.
She has no clue that jobs have gone overseas, and is really baffled when I clue her in.

Now, to those with a job, it's never a recession, but it seems she just doesn't want to look beyond her own comfy situation.
She will have a pension to retire with, with benefits.

The people who don't have to worry should be worried, because it's the nation they live in, and it will affect them in some way.

Well, and teachers love to gripe about how they're overworked and underpaid! They constantly expect donation for various projects and can't understand why they don't get more support and participation, they figure parents just aren't interested when in reality the parents are strapped and trying to make ends meet.

We oftentimes just don't have those extras they always want a steady stream of! We pay taxes for schools, let them manage on that or buy it themselves, its a real stress to have both breadwinners unemployed and an employed teacher with benefits, retirement,etc constantly wanting us to supply this and that project. I do what I can but I can't supply their projects, and their charity donations, and somehow pay my own bills! And not to mention try to have something for my kids under the tree Christmas morning!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:10 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,652,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Well ... I know you're convinced nursing is going the way of IT but, I'm still gainfully employed and making great money during this recession.

You still overlook one key fact: aging baby boomers are driving up demand for nurses. And of those 15 people are who going into nursing ... many won't make it.
well ain't that smug. The previous poster had it right. Nursing is not rocket science (I have two degrees in that so I would know), so you're overinflating the barriers to entry into nursing. It ain't like 14 out of 15 can't hack a nursing curricula, more like 1 out of 15 can't, remember many of these people are career changers in more technical fields to beging with. People are popping out the nursing chute faster than baby boomers becoming medically dependent. Pay will become stagnated and eventually fall off a cliff, a person graduating from nursing today will see their highest increase in pay in the first 10 years of their career. Progressively the next decade will yield more work for less pay. It's no picnic, the days of the 50K starting salary with the sign-on bonus are going the way of the dinosaur faster than you can say recession. Nurses I tell ya....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment