U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM

6,363 posts, read 5,775,156 times
Lots of ignorant posts in here.

How can some pick on elderly people and some are handicap as well. Afterall -they are human as we are.

I often have had my reciepts checked. What's the big deal?

I'm more creeped out with the Cashiers chewing down on gum and blowing bubbles - while ringing up my items...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 11:22 AM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Watching too many movies?

That says more about the people where he lives than about wal-mart greeters.How nthey are creepy if true.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,605,806 times
I wouldn't call them creepy. Some are very nice. Some are grumpy and crabby old folks. Would you REALLY want to be a Walmart greeter/receipt checker if you were 65 or 75 years old.

Maybe people find them 'creepy' because they remind them of how we all will become old and "useless" (not literally, by society's standards) some day.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,665 times
Default Colors of community

Dear Artsyguy,
If you are a patriotic person and love your country - you should love everyone of the community except the hard criminal or evil people. A community consists all kind of back ground.

Fast food is a place for the youngsters to work part time for extra pocket money and and the seniors to continue to work to be independent from their children and most important to promote vitality.

It is good that seniors or handicaped can somehow contribute in simple way in the working industry, so they can have healthy purpose in life and earn decent income.

Smile back or initiate the smile to them. Be happy that we all can share in the peace and prosperity of the country.

I would be sad and angry to see people giving up and live in the streets.

good day!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,334,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why are walmart greeters so creepy and usually on the elderly side?

I mean can't they hire people that enunciate their words clearly, have aesthetic features, and pleasant/friendly personalities? Why don't they hire with common sense and a reasonable checklist of characteristics?

I rarely see any walmart greeters that are to my description.....they usually mumble something, look intoxicated, or worn out and sometimes kinda freaky...and it makes me want to leave walmart.

any clues or opinions on this...
Not being "smart", just think about it though a sec if you will.

What real qualifications does one need to say "Hello, welcome to Walmart". And maybe hand a sticker to children (that proceed to put the sticker somewhere on Walmart property which I'm sure the employees love having to clean up).

And think about this: How bored or desperate for something to do or some extra cash must those people be? I'd be crabby too. When I'm old I wanna be relaxing and enjoying my grandkids and talk about the old days with the other old people. So i'm sure they'd rather be somewhere else like on a Cruise ship playing shuffleboard

When I'm 80, when I say "Like totally gag me with a spoon", I probably really WILL be gagging on a spoon LOL. Sad. I can't picture elderly Valley girls. Hehehe

Old 10-30-2008, 08:02 PM

8,245 posts, read 2,137,131 times
Maybe it's just my local Walmart, but it seems to me that the greeters are more there as security as opposed to "greeters".

Whenever I'm going in to return something, the greeters immediately come towards me to check receipt, etc, and to point me in the direction of customer service. I've also noticed that they watch me very closely as I'm walking over there to cust svc.

Also noticed that these same "greeters" pay more attention when I leave the store. I can't say I've ever been stopped for them to check my receipt. I do get the (uneasy)impression that they are scrutinizing me, almost if they are considering if I'm a shoplifter.

So that is why I think the greeters are more a security presence than one of hospitality.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 AM

130 posts, read 294,010 times
The guy at Sam's Club is confined to a wheel chair and is probably the nicest and hardest working person in the store. He'll pull out a cart for you and sign off your receipt when you leave.
At least he's not ridng out some sort of disability insurance like a lot of people might.
Good to see this guy out there in the world. Power to him.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,255,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-Bill View Post
The guy at Sam's Club is confined to a wheel chair and is probably the nicest and hardest working person in the store. He'll pull out a cart for you and sign off your receipt when you leave.
At least he's not ridng out some sort of disability insurance like a lot of people might.
Good to see this guy out there in the world. Power to him.
He could be on SSDI and still be working there. I think you can make as much as your SSDI check.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:39 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,855,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why are walmart greeters so creepy and usually on the elderly side?

I mean can't they hire people that enunciate their words clearly, have aesthetic features, and pleasant/friendly personalities? Why don't they hire with common sense and a reasonable checklist of characteristics?

I rarely see any walmart greeters that are to my description.....they usually mumble something, look intoxicated, or worn out and sometimes kinda freaky...and it makes me want to leave walmart.

any clues or opinions on this...
Because most of them are probably beyond retirement age...
I kinda feel sorry for those ones cause I'll probably be in the same place when I'm that age...if I can even get hired there

Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM

98 posts, read 382,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I feel sorry for the Walmart greeters because it doesn't seem like they are doing the job because they like people but because they desperately need the cash.

I've noticed, though, that the Walmart employees who check receipts always wave on by the Caucasian people without checking their receipts but scrutinize the receipts of the non-Caucasian people very thoroughly. That's obnoxious.
Maybe that's in your area. I've been all over the states and as annoying as it is I've been stopped at the door and had my receipt checked and I'm white, and older. I've even had the alarm go off because they didn't scan my item properly. Then you are sure to know who the greeter is.
Are there just more non whites in your area so it might seem they are stopped more often?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment