Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times

Advertisements

Guess in Texas with all the cattle and cow dung on the boots...very possible.

Here in Southern Calif (San Ysidro) next to the border is a K-Mart...very clean like Sears.

Problem I have is that the employees are hispanic and of course cater to the Mexicans from across the border. Seems like there is a long dialogue always going on between the cashier and customer. I understand some Spanish so do get the drift of the conversation. The store was a mess before Sears took over.

I was standing in line with one person in front of me when the cashier just opened the register...took out her tray and walked away without a single word being said. We waited for the replacement cashier that never showed up. Finally a women (probably a senior cashier or maybe a mgr of sort) came and stood there for a couple of mins. I just gave her my stuff and said "I'm not waiting any longer" and left.

That was just before the acqisition by Sears...things have changed with mdse displayed the Sears way.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
The Walmart greeters here are usually elderly, and I've found to be very pleasant. It's the cashiers who never smile, and barely speak English, and the people stocking the shelves in the middle of the aisles who don't move when you are trying to get something that irk me to the point I do not shop at Walmart. I'll pay more to have someone smile and be pleasant. Vons has the absolute nicest cashiers and baggers here in my area. Love that store. Do most of my shopping at Trader Joes though, and now Henry's.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
My mom was a Walmart greeter. She may have been a bit elderly, but she certainly wasn't creepy! She really enjoyed it. It was in a small town, so she knew many of the people.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:26 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
I would rather have an elderly person who needs to supplement their income greet me than a young, brash, overbearing kid who doesn't know when to shut up.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
How about a young, polite, and helpful kid who knows just what to say because he is properly trained in customer service and business communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I would rather have an elderly person who needs to supplement their income greet me than a young, brash, overbearing kid who doesn't know when to shut up.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How about a young, polite, and helpful kid who knows just what to say because he is properly trained in customer service and business communication.

do they exist???

Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I absolutely refuse to stop for the receipt checkers at walmart or sam's club (or any other place that might attempt to check my receipt when I'm leaving). After spending what seems like hours in the checkout line or just maneuvering my cart around people and junk, I'm already out of patience. Plus, I just think it's stupid. No way do I stop, I walk right past them. Once they attempted to follow after me, waving their evil little pen and I waved back and kept on walking.

As for the greeters--I fail to see the point of having them. They used to actually scare my kids when they were young and the greeters would chase them around and try to put stickers on them.
Well Bah hum bug to you .

Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I absolutely refuse to stop for the receipt checkers at walmart or sam's club (or any other place that might attempt to check my receipt when I'm leaving). After spending what seems like hours in the checkout line or just maneuvering my cart around people and junk, I'm already out of patience. Plus, I just think it's stupid. No way do I stop, I walk right past them. Once they attempted to follow after me, waving their evil little pen and I waved back and kept on walking.

As for the greeters--I fail to see the point of having them. They used to actually scare my kids when they were young and the greeters would chase them around and try to put stickers on them.

You are sooo funny.. and your kids were scared too of the sticker greeters...oh boy!!

But yes, i did that too, at Ross's! After spending two hours in Ross's buying things,, using my employers yearly gift card and buying travel bags and other misc. items that I shouldn't have, I was stopped with my cart full of items bagged by the "cashier" who was only 8 feet away by a non-humble presumptious invader or as you call the receipt checker....And I just walked right by him.

I thought that was what cameras were for and security guards were for and undercover security guards were for.

It is nonsensical to me, to stop someone who literarlly "five" minutes earlier spent 20 to 30 minutes standing in line waiting to check out!! IMO the receipt invaders are just not doing their job and that is paying ATTENTION to their surroundings and instead thinking of their girlfriend or some other such thing!!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
My mom was a Walmart greeter. She may have been a bit elderly, but she certainly wasn't creepy! She really enjoyed it. It was in a small town, so she knew many of the people.
Ah thats wonderful! I think it was probably just his neighborhood store... or maybe artsy doesn't like his parents or grandparents competing against him in the workforce...!?

oh boy....;-)

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Yes, just do on the job training and teaching of customer service and business communication skills. It is that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
do they exist???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment