Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 44,348 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I graduated 2 years ago with a Fashion Merchadising degree and currently work as an Asst. Manager for a retail store. I've officially decided that I hate retail! I'm being paid at the low end of the salary scale and I want to do something else that pays a little bit more and takes in consideration that I have a degree. It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking about going to grad school to get my MBA. I currently live in Austin and have been wanting to move to Houston for a while. Where are good places to look for job? Careerbuilder and Monster and a joke. I've been getting really frustrated and I feel stuck. I'm getting the feeling that people are becoming hesitant with trying their luck on people. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 03:37 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
First you need to take a look at your expectations in life:
1. You can't expect to graduate from college and be making top pay in 2 years in any profession (exception of starting your own business).
2. Having a degree does not necessarily make you smart and good for a job.
3. Sacrifice is sometimes part of getting ahead.

Having said all that, if you are not happy at what your doing, maybe take some journalism classes and become a fashion reporter. Also, think about going back to school and changing your career altogether. An MBA might help you advance in your current profession, but you will still start out at the bottom of the ladder.

As a person who interviews potential employees, I am sometimes shocked at what some folks right out of college with little actual experience expect as far as salary. In my profession, most (not all) folks probably need about 2 years experience just to get their feet on the ground, much less start advancing.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:16 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Home sales are down right now but I think that the real estate stager we hired in the past had a fashion merchandising degree. She did a fabulous job and helped us to sell our home even though there were many other houses for sale at the same time.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 44,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
First you need to take a look at your expectations in life:
1. You can't expect to graduate from college and be making top pay in 2 years in any profession (exception of starting your own business).
2. Having a degree does not necessarily make you smart and good for a job.
3. Sacrifice is sometimes part of getting ahead.

Having said all that, if you are not happy at what your doing, maybe take some journalism classes and become a fashion reporter. Also, think about going back to school and changing your career altogether. An MBA might help you advance in your current profession, but you will still start out at the bottom of the ladder.

As a person who interviews potential employees, I am sometimes shocked at what some folks right out of college with little actual experience expect as far as salary. In my profession, most (not all) folks probably need about 2 years experience just to get their feet on the ground, much less start advancing.

Thanks Poltracker for your response.

The reason why I'm really looking for another job is that my particular company has made it very difficult to stay in my position. They did away with raises and have been cutting benefits left and right. The next step is Store Manager which very few positions are ever open. I don't want to be SM because I don't want to be in Store Management anymore and I dont want to work for this company anymore. If everything was going well I would stay but the conditions are making it difficult to do so. I don't feel that I should have to continue being underpaid (which I am for my particular position) with dissappearing benefits because it would look better on a resume. I am miserable!! Don't you think I need to get out while the getting's good?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,799,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmyshimmyya View Post
If everything was going well I would stay but the conditions are making it difficult to do so. I don't feel that I should have to continue being underpaid (which I am for my particular position) with dissappearing benefits because it would look better on a resume. I am miserable!! Don't you think I need to get out while the getting's good?
The point is... "the getting is NOT good"... anywhere at the moment. You have to understand the economics of these times and realize that while your benefits are disappearing and cuts are being made in salaries, etc., that is exactly what is going on everywhere right now.

I say, suck it up and be thankful you have a job... many don't or won't in the near future. Wait this period out until the economy improves. In the meantime, use this period to explore and research exactly what it is you DO want to do, set your goals, then prepare yourself through courses and networking to achieve those goals... while still maintaining the job you have. Then, when the economy does improve and better opportunities present themselves, you'll not only have more experience under your belt, but be better qualified to go UP the ladder, not down and start over as you would have to do now.

Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 19,546 times
I'm a Fashion Merchandising Graduated student Honey its lots of job out there that NOT RETAIL. Trust I work in retail for almost 6 years now... I didn't NOT need a 30,000 degree to run a store so I honestly feel were your coming from.... I'm 24 had my first retail position at 17, with that being said" People are so big on telling us we need more experience in areas but to get experience you must give people a chance... Duh!!!., You are so right about monster and careerbuilders. Try indeed.com WWD.com its all fashion industry jobs.. I have more sites but can't give everybody my secrets so email me @ Nicolef279@gmail.com ill see what I can do for you

Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
This thread is almost 4 years old!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmyshimmyya View Post
Hi everyone!

I graduated 2 years ago with a Fashion Merchadising degree and currently work as an Asst. Manager for a retail store. I've officially decided that I hate retail! I'm being paid at the low end of the salary scale and I want to do something else that pays a little bit more and takes in consideration that I have a degree. It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking about going to grad school to get my MBA. I currently live in Austin and have been wanting to move to Houston for a while. Where are good places to look for job? Careerbuilder and Monster and a joke. I've been getting really frustrated and I feel stuck. I'm getting the feeling that people are becoming hesitant with trying their luck on people. Any advice?
Have you considered staying in the same industry but taking a less glamours job?

Almost every girl I knows dream job would probably be fashion designer, buyer, etc however b/c of that there's few jobs and lots of people want them.

Its kind of like internships. If you get an internship at a radio station, sports team, etc you are going to be a gopher and not learn anythign and not get paid either because there's more than enough people willing to do that. Other internships on the other hand have you very involved in actual work and actually pay because its not as sought after, glamorous, etc.

I'd liken your job to that scenario. Maybe if you got into the supply chain managmenet end there woudl be more opportunities better pay and less competition.

I would say don't go back to school. You alreayd have one degree thats not doing much for you and Masters degrees are becomming a dime a dozen. If you do want to continue your education get a job with a company who has tuition reimursement and let someone else pay for you to get your degree.

I don't see much sense in you getting even further into debt and then entering the job market with the little experience again. Ther'es more than enough people with a masters and experience.

Also, assuming your degree is a at least a BA and not a certificate you can a degree is basically all you need to get yoru foot in the door to most professional jobs. Your really not much worse off than others who have sociology, communications, etc degrees.

Also, advice to anyone thinking about getting a "fun" degree. I'm all for pursing something you enjoy and love and the whole addage about find something you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life but I see so many people paying big money to go to schools in like Columbia in Chicago for degrees in movie producing, music producing, fashion design, etc.

Those industries a very miniscule % of people will make it big and be the next dr dre, be the next steven spielburg or gloria vanderbuilt. Most will wind up working the AV at a church or school for little pay and none of the glamour they got into it for.

I think in your industry your chance at landing a cool job like designer, buyer, etc would be through an internship. If your still young enough, can afford it or live with parents maybe consider taking an unpaid internship.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post

Also, advice to anyone thinking about getting a "fun" degree. I'm all for pursing something you enjoy and love and the whole addage about find something you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life but I see so many people paying big money to go to schools in like Columbia in Chicago for degrees in movie producing, music producing, fashion design, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 19,075 times
Hello Nicole,

my name is Adrienne,

i was reading a post you replied to a few months ago and in the response you mentioned that you knew of some great resources and websites to look at for people with fashion merchandising degrees.

I was wondering if you would be willing to share some helpful hints. I was recently laid-off from my job and moved back home and am actively looking for a new job, but im finding it a bit more difficult with my degree.

thank you so much in advance

~Adrienne~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment