Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 62,784 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about Set Focus and whether or not it is a scam? They claim to be a
In business since 1997, our mission is to give you the comprehensive, current Microsoft certified developer training that employers are looking for and to increase your IT career and employment opportunities.
Over the past 10 years, the members of SetFocus, have dedicated themselves to perfecting this mission. The personalization and philosophy behind the training services that we offer has helped hundreds of developers move their career forward, let it help you!

The cost to take their class is 19k for 13 weeks which means you have to study from 8 to 5 basically. They also promise to find you a job after you graduate, I find this statement misleading.

I want to talk to former students if I could. Would they even have any jobs in say the Dallas, Austin, San Antonio area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 7,406 times
Hey did you find somebody? Because in need to know the same thing

Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 PM

Set focus is a rip-off. If you want to get certifications go to a community college, a great deal cheaper.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 PM

18 posts, read 54,552 times
Setfocus seems very shady to me. What Setfocus seems to be doing is posting phantom jobs on all the job sites and when you submit your resume to them, they offer to TEACH you .NET for 19K. Classic bait and switch. Also, their "masters program" teaches you basic .NET - something you can easily pick up from books. They are preying on suckers desperate for jobs. The job sites should do a better job of filtering and blocking scams. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:50 PM

You are absolutely correct. That is why they started calling my house to begin with. We told them to get lost and they still called again. Next time they call they will be reported to the attorney general and the bbb.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 7,166 times
That's why I love forums lke this cause It's real people and strait forward posting thanks everyone. I was about to make a silly decision about "SET FOCUS". I'm new to NY and I'm working but not in my field of study.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:33 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,208 times
Any of those training firms I'd be cautious of. If you want to learn something either buy books and study on your own or enroll in classes at a college. Most community colleges in NC offer training in various applications and for a cost what won't break your back.

The find you a job part is misleading. I seriously doubt that they have connections with every IT shop and can just call up and say "hey, we churned this user through our certification mill, hire her!". IT jobs in NC are way down, I think 36% down, and it's going to be very competitive to get in at this time. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade but if you were going to hire someone who is right out of a school vs someone with hands on experience, who would you hire? All things being equal I'd hire the experienced user.

I went to community college with a guy who dropped 10k for an MCSE certificate. 6 weeks of class, 10 hour days. He thought that he'd come out and get an offer for 70k. It didn't happen. Only offer he had was a tech for BestBuy, which paid less than the job he was already making. So he ended up with 10k of loans. He could have gone to CC first and obtained a degree, which could have gotten him into the field.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:00 PM

When you post any resumes on career builder or monster you have to be careful. They lure you in talking of job openings and then they just want you money. Any job recruiter is free.

They are still a great deal of tech jobs in Texas, Austin is a tech hub.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 6,848 times
Default SetFocus is a Scam

I posted my resume on CareerBuilder and SetFocus started calling me offering to teach me programming. If you want to get an education attend a real school and not these scamsters. I wrote to Careerbuilder but they would not do a thing other than keep posting these fake jobs in every state and every city, beware these people are after your money when you dont have much to spare.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,490 times
I think ALL, yes ALL of you are terribly mislead about SetFocus. Read a book? Good luck with that. What books will you read? How will YOU determine what you need to learn and in what order your should learn various topics. Good luck. Those who complete the "Masters Program" are much better off than anyone who just "Reads a book". The concentrated training and "Punishment" you are subjected to prepare you for the "Real World" life of an IT programmer. Did I mention, good luck reading a book? Tell that HR guy you get an interview with (IF you get an interview) you leaned all about .NET reading a book. Go ahead. See how fast he kicks you out of the interview. On the other hand, tell the same HR guy, who knows about the Setfocus program, you completed the Master Programs with honors and see how fast he hires you.
Did I mention good luck reading a book yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment