Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 08:22 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to if anyone has been able to successfully negotiate a better salary after accepting a job.

I started a job on July 7, 2008 for a ok pay. I didn't negotiate because I thought at the time that it was ok for the duties that I told I would be doing.

However, I have taken on more responsibility and have been told numerous times that I have impressed my supervisor.

I have been researching the average salary for my position in the State and also comparing them to the region of the State I live in. I have discovered that I am barely at 10% for the salary range of what most people holding my position make.

Now, I love the company I work for- however, I work extremely hard to save them money and to maintain the quality of their products. I will be taking more classes/schools provided by the company to save them even more money and to be a better qualified worker in my department. I am the only person on my shift that can do my job -well, besides my supervisor. I also know that for some reason, I will top out of the pay at just 3.00 more dollars than I am making now. So, right now I am in the position of where I could actually start somewhere else making more than what I could top out at with my current employer

Thing is- as I have said before, I love the company I work for...well, the people I work with in my department. The company I work for really needs me as I work very hard and am very meticulous at my job.

So, does anyone know the best way to go about negotiating a better wage? I have printed up tons of salary reviews for my position as well as other positions that are opened with the same qualifications and duties I am performing.

If you were able to earn yourself a better wage, explain here how you went about it please.

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Three months in a position can often be viewed as a probationary period. They're checking you out and vice versa. But it's also too early to be asking for a raise unless they had made suggestions that you might be bumped up.

Does your company or position have interim reviews? If so, having a frank discussion with your supervisor would be appropriate during that review- usually a the 6-month mark. Emphasize all of the good. How much you like the company and your role. How you like the educational opportunities, etc. You can also ask what is expected of you to move up in pay grade or rate. You can also, in an nonthreatening manner, share your information about how low you are in the salary range, but don't demand a higher wage this early in your tenure. If they value you as much as you think they do, they'll do right by you because they won't want to lose you.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
July to now, 3 months, approach either HR, or the supervisor that hired you, and professionally inquire as to if and when a 90 day review would be. At that review would be the time to bring in all the things you have done to help the dept, help promote and save money, show what advantages it is to have you there, and also what a benefit it would be to continue having you stay. Without being too aggressive. It takes tact, a professional approach, just like when you interviewed for the job, now, interview for a raise so to speak. ask for 10 percent more than you expect to get, and that should get you a fair market value of your work.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
My advice to you would be to do nothing at this time. You accepted the position for what your pay is. You have taken on more responsibilities, however, the economy is bad and I don't think that the timing is good to ask for an increase. Especially seeing that you've been there for such a short time. You may be able to make more with a different company, but that's only if you're able to find a new job at this time. It won't look good to prospective employers that you're already looking after 3 months with your present employer. Employers don't like when people accept jobs at salaries that they can't afford to live on. If you're not making enough money to maintain your lifestyle, you should have not accepted the position at its present pay. If you can live comfortably and feel that you deserve more money, I'd wait until you've been there for 1 year. That way, you will have more leverage to ask for raise and if you don't get it, at least you will have been there for 1 year and that will look better to prospective employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment