Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,021,702 times

Advertisements

Call nursing homes and see if they would be willing to let you come in and do washes/cuts/sets etc. Offer to charge very little, which will make them happy because most of the people who live there have very little money. This may give you a chance to get some more experience under your belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,361,454 times
After beauty school I went to work for the Hair Cuttery for a few years to get experience and work on my skills. I then went to work for a private owner as an assistant manager and worked up to managing the salon. He closed that salon when he expanded his other. I needed insurance so I took a job with a beauty distributor. I haven't done hair in a salon for many years but my advise to you is the beauty distributors offers many classes for cuts, color, etc., attend these classes so that you have them on your resume.

My only question to you is, if you got fired for being slow, just how slow where you? Was it because you like to talk to your clients or was it because you were actually slow and what where you slow at, cuts, color, perms? If it is on the execution of the services maybe you just need confidence in what you are doing and that may be what is slowing you down. That is where the classes will help you out. Go to your local beauty distributor (not Sally's) and ask for class information, a lot of them will also do trade shows that are really inspirational and fun and offer classes as well.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM

749 posts, read 2,078,023 times
Christina..intersting that you should mention the nursing homes. I have gone to pretty much EVERY one in town and got nowhere except ONE place-I stayed on cutting hair for only about two months and now I haven;t been asked to come back. You are right, you'd think these people would be hurting for someone like that, but that hasn;t been my experience. They either had someone already to do this work, or they sounded like they like the idea and didn;t follow up, or whatever...I' e found that in Georgia just as a side tip people are so lazy about following up on anything. My guess is that there are just too many good enough stylists out there that I'm not one of those given consideration to. JMO. Yes there are some classes going on in Atlanta yes. I signed up for one locally and it got cancelled. Another example of how the Universe is telling me to give up.
"Hurting in small towns for someone?" No offense, this has not been my experience. Maybe its a little different where you live but where I live the head honchos are in no need of anybody.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:23 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,006,741 times
If you aren't squeamish, check with funeral homes. My sister - a cosmetologist for 30 years - has been approached several times with requests to coiffure the deceased. From the way she spoke, it could have turned into a higher paying, lower number of hours worked, enterprise but she was too squicked to do it. Beats me, from the new batch of horror stories she has for me each time I visit (the last was the tale of an elderly house-bound woman who was finally pried out and sent to my sister for a wash and set. my sister had to dig the dirt from this poor lady's scalp ) I don't see what would be so bad about working on the head of someone who wouldn't squirm or complain about the style. (gruesome. sorry )

Old 11-21-2008, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 29,513 times
Smoky,

I am a cosmetologist and have been a salon owner for 5 years. I recently got out of the field but still have lots of love for the profession. I can understand why you are upset but you must understand that you will not learn everything that you need for the cosmetology school. You should not expect other stylists to be willing to take you under their wings either. If you are truly committed to understanding this great profession, I would suggest that you look into attending some hair shows or purchasing some video tapes if you are lacking in the act of hair. I am not sure where you problem is but truly hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:09 PM

983 posts, read 4,430,683 times
I always have looked at a hair stylist as some what of an artistic creative type person. I feel that it has to be in you naturally and cosmetology school is just required to become licensed in any state you are in. So if you don't have that creativity already then no amount of school is going to help. I was with the same cosmetologist/hair stylist for 15 years and to me she was just AMAZING. For them to be able to visualize exactly what you want, fix someone else's bad cut, take a picture from a magazine you bring in and duplicate it and put up with all the emotional crap from us takes a very special person.
Now I have had a bad stylist before and luckily before she had me baldheaded I found my 15 yr one.

I know if I went to cosmetology school I would not come out with the skills it takes to do hair! So OP you must look at it seriously and ask if it's something you are really cut out for. If it is, then don't give up and you will connect with the right person that will mentor you. My great hair stylist was like that, she would take those new to the industry under her wing and teach them. So there are some out there willing to help.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:18 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,486,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Train yourself. Put ads up for cheap or free haircuts in your area.

Good idea...undersell the salons, and be honest, say you are a new grad.
I would stick to cuts, not coloring unless you feel pretty secure in that.

You could run a small ad in a local newspaper, something like

Hairstyling by "Your Name"
I am a new grad from beauty school and just starting out and I will give you great rates.

Someone once said, if no one will hire you, hire yourself. Technically, you are doing just this. If you have a place where you can work at home, or a basement...that is what a lot of women did long ago.

Or, find someone local and ask them, "Hey, I went to beauty school, and while I was a great student, I need to train with someone, so if you will let me work with you, and you train me, I will wash heads, sweep the floor, etc."

Some people will say no, but there are some people who remember how hard it is to start out in any profession. Be persistent.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,858 times
I just got fired from a great clips(Hoppin Shears) because one of the leads did not like the fact that I had a higher productivity level than her. I was hired as a lead stylist was not treated well I am going to sue....

Old 03-14-2009, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 29,513 times
North,

I think you should sue but just to make sure that you all your "ducks" lined up. By this, I mean pull all of your peer evauls, customer reports/statements, and possible get an employee to come on your side. I realize that the last one may be a little hard but it would help your case greatly. Otherwise, it could seem that you were let go because you were difficult, didn't know your role, or simply couldn't hack the job.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,104,990 times
So, what is your next field of endeavor. Will you go back to school or try to get an office job with your government??

And yes, my advice is always to do an internship, before you decide on a career, if possible. So, you have a chance to change without losign too much money.

And Yes,!! it is true that being competent is not the only skill for a lot of jobs....Jobs like nursing, cashier, waitressing, hair dresser, requires speed, not just education, or efficiency.

And Yes, one of my sisters had the same complaint when she became a nurse, that they did no training and just threw her on the floor.

And yes, some jobs are sink or swim. Law school is like that,,, no one to help you, until the door hits your butt.

good luck

p.s. one thing i do when i want to learn something is hire someone to tutor me. Have you thought about hiring an experienced (fast) hairstylists to teach you a half-n-hour or an hour a week for 20 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I may do a blog about this one day.

I started out with HIGH HOPES for this field...but they came down and plummetted like my self esteem....Here is the deal. While you are in "beauty school" you can try to get a part-timer shampooing hair or working the desk, because you are NOT going to be a pro the minute you pass your State Board liscensing test. But you will be disappointed ROYALLY the minute you see how FEW people are willing to train or to take the time or put the energy into it. If you go right into a Chain tyoe if shop to work (ie Fantastic Sams, Great Clips, etc. ) they expect you to be PERFECT and hit the floor running. They will not train. But these are the only places I have seen that are actually hiring.

What happended to me...I got FIRED from 2 chain salons because I wasn;t quick or competent enough or whatever, and everywhere else I have gone I have gotten sent out the door. It would take too long to bore you with my nunerous (I mean numerous, no hope, absolutely awful) experiences I have had trying to get a d*mn job in this field. I mean working the desk...being an apprentice....you get the idea.

Are there any stylists on this board? Did you succeed? Are you still successful? What did you do to break in?

Right now I just want to vent...

I HATE SALON OWNERS..ALL OF THEM! I WISH ONE OF THEM WOULD GET RUN OVER BY A BUS...(ok I need to stop, I know!!)

I'M JUST SO MAD THAT NOT ONE OF THEM IN THE WORLD IS WILLING TO TRAIN ME. I HATE HATE HATE SALON B*TCHES!!!!!!!

(OK IM DONE! SORRY!!!JUST NEEDED TO GET THAT OUT!!!)

I'm glad I decided to quit though. God was trying to tell me to quit I think.

Last edited by gea12345; 03-14-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment