Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,815 times

Advertisements

I may do a blog about this one day.

I started out with HIGH HOPES for this field...but they came down and plummetted like my self esteem....Here is the deal. While you are in "beauty school" you can try to get a part-timer shampooing hair or working the desk, because you are NOT going to be a pro the minute you pass your State Board liscensing test. But you will be disappointed ROYALLY the minute you see how FEW people are willing to train or to take the time or put the energy into it. If you go right into a Chain tyoe if shop to work (ie Fantastic Sams, Great Clips, etc. ) they expect you to be PERFECT and hit the floor running. They will not train. But these are the only places I have seen that are actually hiring.

What happended to me...I got FIRED from 2 chain salons because I wasn;t quick or competent enough or whatever, and everywhere else I have gone I have gotten sent out the door. It would take too long to bore you with my nunerous (I mean numerous, no hope, absolutely awful) experiences I have had trying to get a d*mn job in this field. I mean working the desk...being an apprentice....you get the idea.

Are there any stylists on this board? Did you succeed? Are you still successful? What did you do to break in?

Right now I just want to vent...

I HATE SALON OWNERS..ALL OF THEM! I WISH ONE OF THEM WOULD GET RUN OVER BY A BUS...(ok I need to stop, I know!!)

I'M JUST SO MAD THAT NOT ONE OF THEM IN THE WORLD IS WILLING TO TRAIN ME. I HATE HATE HATE SALON B*TCHES!!!!!!!

(OK IM DONE! SORRY!!!JUST NEEDED TO GET THAT OUT!!!)

I'm glad I decided to quit though. God was trying to tell me to quit I think.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,475 times
Look for a place that will train

What about supercuts, are they in your area?

Dont most of these chains have schools themselves

Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,255 times
What you wanna do is stop working for comestics companies and start making money from behind the scenes, kinda like stocks. The cosmetics industry makes many many millions a year, even had me looking into it to make some dough. But the trick is though - to make dough you need the dough. Not many have the thousands and thousands lying in a bank account.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
firing people and employment at will is the new type of job environment. we got rid of unions people did not want them. its not about you. one door is closing time to try another door.
my favorite is VE at a jr college or US army. my favorite VE is CNA, LVN or RN.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
This thread is interesting because as a person with 2 degrees, one of them a masters, I am unemployed and often I have been underemployed.

I said to my husband I bet if I had a train (like haircutting) I would never be out of work. I appreciate you giving us your side of it.

Can you work for yourself? Open a small shop? Maybe do hair and makeup as an independent person (going to homes for weddings--offering something for bride who will not come to a shop).

Market yourself for yourself....that's where the $ is.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I may do a blog about this one day.

I started out with HIGH HOPES for this field...but they came down and plummetted like my self esteem....Here is the deal. While you are in "beauty school" you can try to get a part-timer shampooing hair or working the desk, because you are NOT going to be a pro the minute you pass your State Board liscensing test. But you will be disappointed ROYALLY the minute you see how FEW people are willing to train or to take the time or put the energy into it. If you go right into a Chain tyoe if shop to work (ie Fantastic Sams, Great Clips, etc. ) they expect you to be PERFECT and hit the floor running. They will not train. But these are the only places I have seen that are actually hiring.

What happended to me...I got FIRED from 2 chain salons because I wasn;t quick or competent enough or whatever, and everywhere else I have gone I have gotten sent out the door. It would take too long to bore you with my nunerous (I mean numerous, no hope, absolutely awful) experiences I have had trying to get a d*mn job in this field. I mean working the desk...being an apprentice....you get the idea.

Are there any stylists on this board? Did you succeed? Are you still successful? What did you do to break in?

Right now I just want to vent...

I HATE SALON OWNERS..ALL OF THEM! I WISH ONE OF THEM WOULD GET RUN OVER BY A BUS...(ok I need to stop, I know!!)

I'M JUST SO MAD THAT NOT ONE OF THEM IN THE WORLD IS WILLING TO TRAIN ME. I HATE HATE HATE SALON B*TCHES!!!!!!!

(OK IM DONE! SORRY!!!JUST NEEDED TO GET THAT OUT!!!)

I'm glad I decided to quit though. God was trying to tell me to quit I think.
Well, my advice is to find a small, independently owned salon in a small town and explain to the owner about your situation. My experience was that salons are so desperate to find hairdressers that they will work with you if you are willing to start at the bottom. It sounds to me like the school you went to fell down on the job because when I left beauty school I felt confident and competent enough to do the basics. You should have had enough floor time to give you that confidence. If you did not, I would go back to the school you graduated from and DEMAND that you get some more floor time at no extra charge (you're making them money, after all), until such time as you feel comfortable doing what you do.

Finally, I know there are TONS AND TONS of additional education opportunities in the industry in the form of seminars, etc. that are available to help you increase your knowledge and ability. I went to many, many of these to learn "cutting edge" technology and styles. You need to take it upon yourself to head on over to Atlanta or even go to another state to take advantage of additional training that is offered.

My thoughts are that if you pursue this like it is the most important thing in your life you cannot fail. You have to be serious, and professional and think of it as a life-time career.

Good luck. (And no, I am not a hairdresser now, LOL because I just don't LIKE it - not because I couldn't do it!)

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,100 times
Train yourself. Put ads up for cheap or free haircuts in your area.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
I would set up shop on your own! My sister did this for years and has since switched to dog grooming of all things!

Check the small business website that the government has - maybe you can get ideas from them on how to start... go for it.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:59 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,815 times
Dog grooming...a thought....now you'd have to apprentice in that i know....

I almost feel llike i'd have to SUCK UP, bribe, do things of that nature to get apprenticed...

Old 10-30-2008, 12:09 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,481,858 times
OK, I did the beauty school thing...10+ years ago...

I started at Fantastic Sams, and then went on to be an Assistant in Coronado, in San Diego...

I made good Money, had fun...worked up to upscale shop as stylist, and made more money...

Then found a Union Job and forgot about the hair gig...but...it helped me get a leg up on my current career.

Stay Positive, and keep that license current, I still pay wholesale for designer hair/skin care...my license is current!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment