Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've been a supervisor. It's not all it's cracked up to be. The pay was better than the 'staff' but I also had to take a lot of crap from upper management. One woman called me at home on my free time to berate me about something that was beyond my control.

I thought after that, and a few other things, enough of this.

I've also been a classroom teacher, which is like being a manager.
You said it best..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM

98 posts, read 99,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
I killed ethics and morals in my workplace so that when employees get to haughty I can tell them they are fired. With the new ideas I have, I don't need employees anymore. I can make more without them. Why do I need their lives broadcasted or their attitude?
My guess is that you would be in the bad manager column.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:04 PM

467 posts, read 777,689 times
Being a supervisor/manager can be quite rewarding if you have a good group. If you have to manage people who hate each other, or hate their job, it can be the most miserable position. Having a good manager above you is also key. If you don't have both of those things, it had better pay really well!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:37 PM

139 posts, read 254,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, when the supervisor gave me some apps and resume's to look over, one of them was this guy with Dyslexia. I noticed very quickly his handwriting was bad and that he had mispelled a few words including the word Army which he spelled Amry. I put his app in a stack of "no", but my supervisor took it out, interviewed him and hired him. When I told the supervisor about the mispelled words, he brushed it off. This new warehouse guy ended up making our inventory counts an absolute nightmare......writing down wrong product locations and quantities that came into the warehouse. I didn't have the time, nor did the supervisor want me to, check on his counts or locations that he was writing down. Actually, I was very, very glad when the dude wound up getting fired for a drug test failure.
My brother has dyslexia. He was a State Trooper, but was fired for handing out IUD's.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Wouldn't make a good manager of *people*, project management would be a different story.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Those who can...can

Those who can't...manage.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:06 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
I would like to think I would make a decent manager since I have had so many bad ones over the last 12 years that I would like to think I have learned from their poor management style. time will tell I suppose.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
lots of these posts are during work hours! those people are hereby fired! oops. now I'm fired too!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
You really need to be a people person to seek out and respect the input of first line others as adding to the equation. You can neither get bogged down in committee inaction or in micromanagement insults neither of which work.

Leadership and management duties can be a bit different depending upon the size and structure of the intended accomplishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment