Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

What do I say in Thank You Letter? The hiring manager was really nice and informative and I appreciated the interview. Any ideas of how the perfect Thank You Letter should look and what should be said? Also should it be typed or written. I've heard typed is the best way...

advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 03:29 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,245 times
Interview Thank You Letter - Job Interview Thank You Letter Writing Tips

Write Winning Thank-You Letters from Monster Career Advice

Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,640 times
Handwrite the letter. I always buy a pack of blank Thank You cards from Walgreens and write a handwritten note and make sure to use words like "enthused", "dedication" and include something that was said in the interview to show that you were paying attention and that you are attempting to connect.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:35 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,366 times
It completely depends on what type of company and position for which you interviewed. Frankly, I've NEVER heard of a handwritten thank you note after an interview. An interview is not a baby shower. However, if you interviewed with a small, family-owned business then it might be appropriate. But if you interviewed with a 100+ person company, I think a "typewritten," professional letter is more appropriate.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
well I changed my mind. I don't really feel like sending her a thank you letter since she already scheduled me to speak to her boss for the final interview.
Let's see if she was sincere.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
well I changed my mind. I don't really feel like sending her a thank you letter since she already scheduled me to speak to her boss for the final interview.
Let's see if she was sincere.

Congrats Artsyguy. As for the poster who said he has never sent a hand written note and that it's for babysitters, umm let me guess you have or had been at your job for 15+ years and haven't been on an active job search until recently if ever. It's called etiquette and you are taught and told to send a thank you. Handwritten seems a bit more personal like you took the time to send a quick nicely written note. I have done this for companies that were large corporations and for some it worked and others it didn't. Not because the note was or wasn't handwritten, it's because they went with another qualified candidate. We can discuss on this board until we are blue in the face whether thank you notes work or don't work, whether you should hand write or type them, and when you should mail them out, but to each their own. So please get off your high horse and quit the underhanded insults

Old 10-31-2008, 11:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Congrats Artsyguy. As for the poster who said he has never sent a hand written note and that it's for babysitters, umm let me guess you have or had been at your job for 15+ years and haven't been on an active job search until recently if ever. It's called etiquette and you are taught and told to send a thank you. Handwritten seems a bit more personal like you took the time to send a quick nicely written note. I have done this for companies that were large corporations and for some it worked and others it didn't. Not because the note was or wasn't handwritten, it's because they went with another qualified candidate. We can discuss on this board until we are blue in the face whether thank you notes work or don't work, whether you should hand write or type them, and when you should mail them out, but to each their own. So please get off your high horse and quit the underhanded insults
Pardon me?! High horse? Underhanded insults? Babysitters? Go back and read my post out loud. I said there are times a handwritten thank you may be appropriate and there are times when a professionally, typewritten thank you is more appropriate. My position is that a thank you note is ALWAYS appropriate. If you want to flame someone, make some sense.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
As a hiring manager, I would find a typed thank-you note to be much more professional than a handwritten one.

Sure you can say that hand-written is more "personal" but this isn't a personal setting; it's a professional setting. Unless this is a mall mom& pop business like the other poster said, a handwritten card is seen as quaint at best, and at worst, unprofessional.

I would ask myself, "If this person came to work for me, would his correspondence with other companies/vendors/organizations be in the form of handwritten cards from Walgreens, or properly drafted typed letters?"

But if there's a choice between no thank-you and a handwritten thank you, than I guess the handwritten one would do.

Artsy: Consider it this way: you would get zero or negative "points" for no thank you note, maybe one point for a handwritten one, and maybe 5 points for a nice, professional, typed thank you note. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 PM

Bottom line is to each his own. Enough said

Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I never handwrote a note, as my handwriting is awful and painful. I'd say I appreciated the person's time and information (or tour, or whatever) and found it all of interest. I'd close by saying, "I look forward to hearing from you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment