U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-03-2008, 09:21 PM

1,890 posts, read 887,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I think waiting and serving is for people who like to mingle with people from every culture and background...not someone trying to pay the mortgage.
I am a server and I have a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-03-2008, 11:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 669,093 times
The tips used to be based on if my coffee stayed full but last time out I left over 20% even with not so good service but the food was excellent. When I've been out with my dad he's left 10% and says that's good; when he's not looking I'll make it right. If I get really good service I like to show that it's appreciated and maybe make someones day or at least for a little while. With the price you pay to eat out a little more going to the server that may remember you next time is worth it to me. I've never worked as a server but have dealt with the public and know it can be a real pain at times.

Unread 11-04-2008, 01:00 AM

2,696 posts, read 3,792,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
"Career servers" are often highly proficient professionals with a vast knowledge of F & B and are very much sought after in the service industry. Not all "career servers" remain in that position because they are uneducated or unambitious. Many love what they do, make good money and just aren't interested in moving into management positions where desk duties will take them away from the customer interaction. Cheers!
Fair enough, it is appealing work. That was a bit of a generalization I'll admit. But, the point I was trying to make is that there are no advocates for servers like there are in other industries. Although there are educated and ambitious long-term servers they are far and few between.

Unread 11-04-2008, 06:01 AM

9,737 posts, read 6,556,987 times
Quote:
i generally tip 10-15%

If I order a place for $15 and my girl orders something for $12, and then $6 worth or drinks and say I get 1 refill and she gets none because her cup is half full....then once the bill comes and it is $33 or so...well in that case I'd tip $3...if it was $33.36, I would tip $3.64. I round up to the nearest dollar generally. I think it is fair for only serving two people and checking the table once or twice. I am not paying for them to speed by and say "everything okay"
Also I usually get left waiting for the check for too long. I figure if they have too many tables, they are getting more tips. Even if they have 4 tables, at $2/table and their $8/hr(in cali)..they make more than I do. I've had some hard jobs and never got tips. Don't like it, don't be a waiter. I think waiting and serving is for people who like to mingle with people from every culture and background...not someone trying to pay the mortgage.
leaving $3 on a $33 bill is terrible. If thats all you can afford, don't eat out. Just because you have a job that makes less than $8/hr doesn't mean you should punish people who have jobs which make more. If you don't like your job, why not stop stiffing waiters and become one yourself?

Unread 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM

1,501 posts, read 3,651,986 times
I think you have hit on something here.

I've been on both ends and did realize why some of my old co-workers had no initiative. It was a a pain to work with them (stinky work ethics), but they did the absolute minimum because the minimum is what people in that area expected, therefore did not tip well. There were two of us who knew our stuff, very good service and still got stiffed, so we did not last long there. We'd pick up that baby's spoon from the floor when everyone else walked over it; offer an extra napkin with messy Fajitas; immediately refill that iced tea after the thirsty guy gulped it down with one swig....

People who expect less will tip less, no matter how good the service is. This is why I never went to restaurants myself in that area, The standards were so low. People got only what they expected, and tipped accordingly. Lowering the bar lower, so to speak.

As a diner, however, I will not tip somebody who acts as if they do not care at all and acts entitled. This only enables lazy people. If somebody is hustling and makes mistakes, mistakes are certainly forgiven. It's all about attitude.

A restaurant owner who instills GOOD work ethic and standards, and trains his staff properly will attract more good tippers because people who DO appreciate good service and work ethic know that they will "get what they pay for" there. I have found that places with the cheaper tippers (they expect lower standards) will never get help who cares about good work ethic. Good people will eventually slack off because there's no incentive.

Quote:
i generally tip 10-15%

If I order a place for $15 and my girl orders something for $12, and then $6 worth or drinks and say I get 1 refill and she gets none because her cup is half full....then once the bill comes and it is $33 or so...well in that case I'd tip $3...if it was $33.36, I would tip $3.64. I round up to the nearest dollar generally. I think it is fair for only serving two people and checking the table once or twice. I am not paying for them to speed by and say "everything okay"
Also I usually get left waiting for the check for too long.
I figure if they have too many tables, they are getting more tips. Even if they have 4 tables, at $2/table and their $8/hr(in cali)..they make more than I do. I've had some hard jobs and never got tips. Don't like it, don't be a waiter..

Unread 11-04-2008, 07:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 12,617,268 times
While I agree that's a bit of a cheap tip, you really cannot tell this person NOT to eat out.
Why?
Last time I looked this was America, and people have the right to do what they want. That includes get a salaried job and not lecture diners what they "HAVE TO" tip servers x amount.

Does being 'afford to eat out' mean you must 'budget' for the tip as well?
I really don't know..??

If everyone thought that way there wouldn't be any restaurants for servers to work in at all.

My thoughts...eating out is basically a waste of money. If you have to, grab a pizza or some fast food once every few months. Eat at your local diner and tip your familiar staff well. Avoid stuck up places with equally arrogant, toadying staff.

On the same note as this--

The other day I saw a tip jar at Dunkin' Donuts...what do they think THEY deserve a tip for?? Soon we'll see tip jars everywhere 'just because.'

Unread 11-04-2008, 08:00 AM

9,737 posts, read 6,556,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
While I agree that's a bit of a cheap tip, you really cannot tell this person NOT to eat out.
Why?
Last time I looked this was America, and people have the right to do what they want. That includes get a salaried job and not lecture diners what they "HAVE TO" tip servers.
Obviously these are all just our opinions. If someone wants to go out to eat and never leave a tip and pour their drink onto the floor before they leave and sing 'yankee doodle' at the top of their lungs in the restaurant, it is their right as well. It doesn't mean it is not rude...

Don't pull the 'this is America, I can do what I want' card. I think we all know what country this is...

Unread 11-04-2008, 08:35 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,727,674 times
Being a server was the easiest money I have ever made in my life. If I could've found a restaurant that offered affordable benefits I would never have switched to corporate work. And, yeah, I worked high volume. Here are a few of my observations:

1) There really is a skill to being a good server. At the finer restaurants impeccable service is a given. These servers are knowledgeable about food prep, wine choices, anticipate your need before you ask, and generally stay out of your way so that you can enjoy a lovely evening. You'll never have an issue with food b/c these servers would never bring out anything less than wonderful. If there happens to be an issue with the kitchen--customers aren't even aware of it. These servers are easily worth 20-25% tip or more and worth every single dime.

2) Then there's everybody else. Come on. Throwing food on a table and filling drinks isn't worth 20%. Blaming the kitchen, the food runner, the manager, or whatever else it is--customers don't want to hear about it. Fix it, make it go away, or give them some alternative.

My advice to anyone who wants to make a good living as a server (and it is possible, I've seen it) is 1) pay your dues, and work the slow shifts so that you can earn the right to work the busy ones, 2) you've gotta compete to get into the finer, more expensive restaurants or at least get weekends or evening shifts and 3) you've gotta play all of the games without appearing insincere/phony/fake. The customers love you, then management will, too and they're the ones who schedule your shifts. 4) Be nice to the foodrunners/bartenders/busboys/hostesses--trust me, they can make or break you.

Unread 11-04-2008, 09:13 AM

1,501 posts, read 3,651,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

My thoughts...eating out is basically a waste of money. If you have to, grab a pizza or some fast food once every few months. Eat at your local diner and tip your familiar staff well. Avoid stuck up places with equally arrogant, toadying staff.'
What's a "stuck up" place? A fancy joint? Does "toadying" imply attentive?

I agree that many staff can be more stuck-up than the clientèle, but this comment seems kind of snobby in itself, and a knock on places that put extreme effort into doing a very nice job and training their staff top notch for people who like that sort of thing. Wine connoisseurs, for example, are perceived and labeled as "snobs" all the time which I think is unfair. (I'm not fond of wine myself, so no bias here.)

Executives probably won't want to take their spiffy clients with billion dollar accounts to their favorite diner -- or how about the nervous guy ready to "Pop the Question"? -- so there needs to be a market for those folks as well, just like there is for those of us who prefer a laid-back experience to go to our favorite diner. Different strokes.

Last edited by Travel'r; 11-04-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Unread 11-04-2008, 09:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 12,617,268 times
I don't have any problem tipping. I would never not leave a tip unless the server was horrible. I think my husband did this once with me and I was mortified but I didn't have any cash to leave more money.

I should have said in my post for me, I won't go to a fancy place unless it's a very special occasion. I don't have the money to do this so 'apparently' I should stay home with my cup o noodles and dream of the day I can justify giving someone (anyone) who serves a hefty tip for just bringing me a coke and burger.

Since living in this state I have seen some very greedy servers/people who expect big tips and will do anything to get them. They are tip whores because they have a taste of what it is like to live off 'travel and tourism.' I would assume people in Florida are very much like this as well (due to the popularity of tourism).

At one place (mid range pizza place) the waitress said to me (after I handed her a $20 for a $13 check) do you want change?? WRONG, you give me my change and I decide what to tip you...do not presume I am giving you $7. Very poor server.

The guy who used to occasionally bring us a pizza from 2 miles away...he was the same...Hand him a 20 and he would blink if you asked for your change....the last time we ordered it was 2 hours late. (and cold and the sandwich had bones in it)...Yeah, he deserved 6 bucks...Guess he was getting back at me for not giving him a big tip...I never went to that place again and run it down whenever I can.

I worked as a waitress one day (it sucks) and the girl who was supposed to train me spent most of her time 'working' the man paying for the party when she wasn't puffing her ciggy out back with the kitchen staff. The few times I DARED to speak to Daddy Warbucks she snarled (literally) at me. Hope she choked on her tips...

Sad, sad, sad.

This is my last post in this thread. I respect people here but I will not agree that 20% must be left 'because.'

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 11-04-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment