U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM

14 posts, read 26,330 times

Advertisements

I have been laid off for quite a while now. I have a degree in Paralegal studies from a community college and live in Michigan where there are NO Paralegal jobs or any other jobs for that matter. If there are any Paralegals on the board who can recommend places to relocate where I might have a better chance (I understand the recession factors into my problem) but any input would be appreciated. The cities I wanted to look into were Denver, Phoenix and Southern California (where all my employment calls seem to be coming from)....Im worried about the cost of living in Cali etc. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 7,842,621 times
Where ever there is a large amount of businesses, and people

I hear Mich is hurting economically so maybe go to Chicago, or Ohio (columbus, Cleveland)

I hear they still have a relatively strong economy in the Midwest

Old 11-02-2008, 06:37 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,639,034 times
I'm a paralegal, but I don't know how the job market is. My recruiter emails seem to be mostly for legal secretary jobs right now - if there are any at all. Word on the street is some big firms are about to lay off in some sections - banking, real estate, for example.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 AM

3,844 posts, read 8,363,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Where ever there is a large amount of businesses, and people

I hear Mich is hurting economically so maybe go to Chicago, or Ohio (columbus, Cleveland)

I hear they still have a relatively strong economy in the Midwest
Highest unemployment rate in the US.

My advice: leave Michigan.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:32 AM

4,552 posts, read 6,318,874 times
There are several forum groups just for paralegals, I belong to two yahoo groups. I'm a real estate title examiner and have been out of work since June

You don't say what area you've worked in but you might consider trying to hire on to a firm as a secretary and working your way up?

Let us know what you find out.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 AM

6,764 posts, read 14,007,732 times
Again, you would think this would be a stable job???

What's happening where 'nothing' is stable??

Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 7,842,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Highest unemployment rate in the US.

My advice: leave Michigan.
And the thing is Mich has whole lotta peoples

Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM

5,431 posts, read 12,034,760 times
Chicago unemployment rate is not that great right now either. I have noticed that there are paralegals that have bachelors now. Rather than just the associates degree. Is that preferred in the field now? Is that the only way you can become a paralegal is to have a bachelors because (like most other fields) it has become glutted? Just curious... I was recently job searching and I did notice a lot of legal secretary positions open, and those seemed to pay pretty well.

I would think it would be beneficial to find a paralegal trade association and inquire there or even join one.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 AM

6,586 posts, read 16,639,034 times
I have a Bachelors degree and it helps a lot in finding a paralegal job. I have never had trouble getting a job. My paralegal friends without a 4 year degree have more trouble finding a paralegal job and sometimes end up in paralegal/secretary ("slash") jobs working for solo attorneys (which you couldn't pay me to do).

Firms can bill you out at a higher rate if you have a 4 year degree and sometimes clients require the paralegals on their cases have 4 year degrees. (I'm talking about the big multi-national companies clients.)

Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,965,698 times
I work in a law firm in Orange County, and any reputable firm will require a 4 year degree and an ABA-approved Paralegal Certificate (from universities). The community college route will get you a job with a solo practitioner or in-house possibly. You'd stand to make more money as a Legal Secretary/Admin. They can make up to $50-90K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment