Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
No offense but that associate's isn't going to do all that much for you IMO. If going for your bachelors isn't an option, I would look into retail management positions, but maybe focus on working the overnight shift so you don't have to deal with the public.
I was thinking along those lines, but it never hurts to explore options. I know quite well Im definately not the corporate america type, so your suggestions are certainly viable.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
You know CD102, I had to ask myself if I posted this thread for a second. LOL

I'm pretty blunt myself but was much more so 10-15 years ago, early in my career. I honestly thought that was how all people should be, cut the ridiculous office politics and butt-kissing out, etc.....I truly figured that folks would appreciate my honesty. Not so. It just alienated them.

Although I am still out-spoken more often than not, I learned the hard way it is to my advantage to temper my criticisms and opinions with a little tact and diplomacy. As another poster said, there IS a difference between being honest and rude.

It is possible give an honest assessment of someone or something yet do it in a constructive way so as not to undermine yourself in the process. When you are always harsh, people avoid asking your opinion for fear of a brutal answer. Then you find yourself always on the outside, looking in, wondering why people don't appreciate you. People respect honesty as long as you don't beat them over the head with it.

Example: The lady with the crummy hat you mentioned. Instead of making gagging noises , I'd just say, "Well, it sure is interesting." If I knew the person pretty well, I'd instead crack a joke and get a laugh out of them instead of having them walk away with hurt feelings.

Tact and diplomacy are skills that can be hard to aquire but can have big payoffs down the road when you have improved relationships with friends, family and co-workers.

Been there. Done that.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
You know CD102, I had to ask myself if I posted this thread for a second. LOL

I'm pretty blunt myself but was much more so 10-15 years ago, early in my career. I honestly thought that was how all people should be, cut the ridiculous office politics and butt-kissing out, etc.....I truly figured that folks would appreciate my honesty. Not so. It just alienated them.

Although I am still out-spoken more often than not, I learned the hard way it is to my advantage to temper my criticisms and opinions with a little tact and diplomacy. As another poster said, there IS a difference between being honest and rude.

It is possible give an honest assessment of someone or something yet do it in a constructive way so as not to undermine yourself in the process. When you are always harsh, people avoid asking your opinion for fear of a brutal answer. Then you find yourself always on the outside, looking in, wondering why people don't appreciate you. People respect honesty as long as you don't beat them over the head with it.

Example: The lady with the crummy hat you mentioned. Instead of making gagging noises , I'd just say, "Well, it sure is interesting." If I knew the person pretty well, I'd instead crack a joke and get a laugh out of them instead of having them walk away with hurt feelings.

Tact and diplomacy are skills that can be hard to aquire but can have big payoffs down the road when you have improved relationships with friends, family and co-workers.

Been there. Done that.

Good luck!
Im gonna need it.
People Ive worked with in the past,though, have told me that I'm the one they'll ask about something if they want an honest answer.
So maybe ( and its probably wishful thinking) there are some people out there that appreciate when they're told honestly and without malice that their hat is hideous.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I agree with whoever said that acquiring skills in diplomacy and tact would benefit you not matter what your chosen field. I consider myself to be pretty frank with people, but still diplomatic and a team player.

But did you type correctly when you said you are only looking to earn $10 an hour? Since you aren't setting your sights very high, you can probably easily get a $10 an hour grunt job, and no one will have very high expectations of you and your diplomacy skills. Then if you tick someone off, just go find another grunt job.

But if you plan to ever make a decent salary (and you aren't a super-good singer or professional athlete) you'll need to learn some diplomacy.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I agree with whoever said that acquiring skills in diplomacy and tact would benefit you not matter what your chosen field. I consider myself to be pretty frank with people, but still diplomatic and a team player.

But did you type correctly when you said you are only looking to earn $10 an hour? Since you aren't setting your sights very high, you can probably easily get a $10 an hour grunt job, and no one will have very high expectations of you and your diplomacy skills. Then if you tick someone off, just go find another grunt job.

But if you plan to ever make a decent salary (and you aren't a super-good singer or professional athlete) you'll need to learn some diplomacy.
I did say $10 an hour, but thats a minimum, and down here that amount is decent.
I also said that business management is a stepping stone to the field I really want into, which is gemology.
Unfortunately, the classes for gemology are around 1,000 EACH.
So, compared to the 7.05 I make now, 10.00 an hour is a nice chunk of change, and would at least get me closer to being able to afford my goal.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I'd love to live where $10 an hour is a nice chunk of change!
Can you, like, buy a house for $1000?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I live in Florida. And we...my disabled girlfriend and I...live on $10 an hour. In fact, I just passed it a month or two back, I was making precisely $9.93 an hour before my sixty-cent raise.

She has NO income. Her case hasn't settled.

As far as buying a house...why would someone want to do that??

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'd love to live where $10 an hour is a nice chunk of change!
Can you, like, buy a house for $1000?
Nope, smart-aleck, unless its condemned.

And no you wouldnt, since the $10 an hour jobs down here are also hard to find unless you know somebody that can get you in.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Associates in Business? Try being a fast food manager [$50K?]. My Mom's student had no college, started as floor at Home Depot, and eventually became the store manager at $70K + / year!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Associates in Business? Try being a fast food manager [$50K?]. My Mom's student had no college, started as floor at Home Depot, and eventually became the store manager at $70K + / year!
works for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment