U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 PM

463 posts, read 1,275,876 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I was doing some online job searching and I thought I'd pop in here to ask for advice.

I am a 22-year-old man who lives alone; I quit my last job (working at a Target) to go to a trucking program that unfortuanitely didn't pan out. now the bills are piling up and I need a job, like, yesterday.

I only have three years of work history, all retail, but I'd like to get out of it and do something different. Even the low pay of retail would be manageable if they gave me consistant 40 or near-40 hours a week, which they do not. However, I have a very strong work ethic and I will take it upon myself to do a job thoroughly and completely. I am even the kind of person who will come in on a day off if neccissary to help out the company.

Can anyone reccommend a job or field out there that will give someone intellegent, hardworking, but inexperianced a chance? I live in a relatively inexpensive area (Williamsport, Pennsylvania) and can get by on a low wage as long as I can get 40 consistent hours each week. And also it would have to be a job I can get very soon, because I am less than a month away from having no money to pay the bills.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you have some advice for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:42 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,339,453 times
enterprise car rental....ranked as one of the best places to work.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 PM

973 posts, read 2,790,810 times
Bob,
Since you are 22 years old and have little work experience, my advice would be to take what you can find and then go from there. It is easier to be choosy and try to move into a preferred field of work when you already have a job. Is returning to your previous job at Target an option?

Changing careers is tough when there's only one type of experience on your resume but remember that you are still very young and have many years of work life ahead of you. Without the pressure of bills piling up, you can look around and hopefully make some contacts in the field you are interested in, then try to make a move.

If this isn't an option for you, you could try waiting tables, bartending, yard work, manufacturing plant worker, etc... Those are basic entry level jobs that I can think of off the top of my head.

Ask some friends and family if there are openings at their company also.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM

4,791 posts, read 12,362,150 times
Factory work is consistant 40 hrs / week, but low pay too.

Better get public aid or you'll go homeless unless you move back in with parents.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:24 PM

129 posts, read 379,271 times
Canvas the neighborhood and meet the folks around you. Find out what they do and pick up leads. I bet you'll hear of something a lot quicker than surfing the net.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,339,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-Bill View Post
Canvas the neighborhood and meet the folks around you. Find out what they do and pick up leads. I bet you'll hear of something a lot quicker than surfing the net.

If he did that down here in Miami, they would ignore him and feel threatened that he may go after their job. Sad but true down here.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 PM

129 posts, read 379,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
If he did that down here in Miami, they would ignore him and feel threatened that he may go after their job. Sad but true down here.
Well let's hope he doesn't live in a neighborhood where he might get shot

Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM

6,764 posts, read 18,462,491 times
I'd say go back into retail and try to hang in for now (maybe get into management). With the turnover in that field, you could move up.
I think a lot of stores are happy with stable, hardworkers. Of course they pay poorly but you may be able to connect with something else by networking.

You never know who may walk in your store and be impressed with your work.

Also, think what you WANT to do and try volunteering. I know I should be volunteering instead of hanging around the house *hoping* to get a call.

Good luck..I would also like a job *like yesterday*

Old 11-10-2008, 05:16 PM

463 posts, read 1,275,876 times
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I am thinking of going to a temp agency, which will most likely put me in a manufacturing job. I had a friend who was with Kelly Services in 2006 and they put him in a book-binding factory that gave him 3 or 4 12-hour shifts a week (eight hours of overtime every other week!). This sounds like a good idea for me. Even if the pay is low, it should be sufficient to cover my bills for now as long as I do not make many unessisary purchases (which I don't). Once I've stabilised my situation I can think about maybe getting into a better field.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:33 PM

460 posts, read 956,449 times
You could look into apprenticeship programs, like IBEW for electricians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment