Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:02 PM

157 posts, read 653,627 times

Advertisements

Oh I agree that execs and politicians should be the first to take a pay-cut. My husband has been in the military for 9 years and is lucky to get his 2.3% payraise every year, while Congress makes darn sure they get their $200,000 BONUS every year...yet our service members are the ones taking bullets and in the grit of it everyday. Believe me, I'll be the first to say that our politicians for one are overpaid...and they aren't the only ones. Many of the truly important jobs are far underpaid. The point is though, many wages have been overinflated over the past decade because of greed or some misplaced feeling of entitlement and now unfortunately *everyone* is suffering the backlash of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,843,487 times
IMO, 2009 is going to be very rough. I highly doubt that things will get better until 2010 or later.

Too many upheavals in the job market and financial institutions are going on these days. I saw on the news today where unemployment could get as high as 9%.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,308,622 times
I am hoping that they do more to help the small business. Since the govt. and pols are put into office by the big corps and their contributions - I am thinking that small business is the way out of this mess. People just can't depend on the mega-corps to hire thousands of employees anymore. They are all going offshore as they are now courting offshore markets who have as much money as the u.s. did. The smaller businesses who hire like 20 employees may not have the benefits but they may in the near future, have the good jobs. I hope the govt. can help the small american businessman out - I think that would help.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM

104 posts, read 411,277 times
The executives should be first in line to have their pay chopped down. They should sacrifice first since they are most likely to afford it versus the rank and file worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
Who wages should adjust ? Executives and politicians. I'm willing to take a pay freeze to get my company out of trouble if needed be.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:52 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,693,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Will the job market get better or worse in 2009 and will Unemp;oyment go up to 8%. I am on this new permanent job for 6 months and hate it, so I hope the job market gets better so I change as soon as possible.

Also Which profession is hit the hardest.
Democrat in office usually means more jobs, so we'll see.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,031,449 times
Let's hope so, Jackie!!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 PM

22 posts, read 55,555 times
Read this today on cbs2chicago.com.

-Mayor Daley says corporate leaders told him huge layoffs will impact the city this month and next, and into the new year. He also says city, county and state governments should be prepared for their revenue to fall dramatically because of the souring economy.

"This is going to be all year, so it's going to be a very frightening economy," Mayor Daley said. "Each one tells me what they're laying off, and they're going to double that next year. We're talking huge numbers of permanent layoffs for people in the economy. It's going to have a huge effect on all businesses."

The mayor said the gravity of the situation cannot be underestimated.

"I've been applying at millions of places, and it's just so hard to get a job. They're cutting hours like crazy – at McDonald's," said Ramona Patino.-

Last edited by tazzman; 11-14-2008 at 10:49 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 05:54 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,715,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
maybe a stimulus package will accelerate the job growth and make a 2009 job recovery
That $600 check didn't help too much, I just think it caused a bigger Fed debt problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment