U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 13,598 times

Advertisements

I am a recruiter and this really is situational. Yes can references be checked after the interview process. But 99% of my clients ask that I do them before submitted. I have to submitted the reference quotes with the resume. Some clients will check them again and some don't waste the time to do it again.

My clients see this as an important step because it would waste their time going through interviews with some one to then find out through reference checks that they were a nightmare employee or they were fired because they did something unethical (ie. from example above stole money).

I am not saying that recruiters can be sneeky but if you work witht he right ones and ask the right questions you will be able to seperate the good from the bad.

Leads are different for references, can you get leads from references? yes! but it should be done right. leads are not references and any recruiter that calls a lead not given as a reference and mentions a candidates name with out permission is not doing it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Could it be that the recruiter had BETTER CANDIDATES than you? Or perhaps your references said something that turned the recruiter off?

I love how anytime a recruiter doesn't get a candidate an interview, it's automatically a scam, rather than a reflection of a poor candidate.
Agree... i am dealing with a very similar situation right now. I have an A+ candidate on his resume who would be skill wise a fantastic fit for a position I am recruiting on but he refuses to meet with me or send me references. Which, NO BS is required by my client. This is a large company I am recruiting for that has a VMS system so in order for his resume to go from me to the VMS contact to the hiring manager I need have references checked before submitting and meet with him for 10-15 mins to go over client requirements and testing. He doesn't believe me therefore has hurt his chances of getting hired in a tough market.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Your friend is mis-informed or could it just be the case that their industry doesn't see the need?!

It is actually cheaper for companies to utilize staffing firms to hire contractors or perm employees for them.

The New York Times had a great article recently highlighting the need for Staffing firms and how they have contributed to the upswing.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:27 PM

I will never bash HR in a way we (recruiters) are a part of Human resources but that is the point we are a part. Human resource representives where many hats day to day and recruiting is just one of those hats. In GENERAL HR reps don't truelly have the time to focus on Recruiting and go through all 100 resumes they get or look out side the box and do more creative recruiting to get the best candidate. Where as recruiters can specialize, For instance I recruit for Engineering companies. I have become knowledgable on engineering positions because I have recruited on this for a couple years. I know what competitors my clients like to see on resumes I know what networking groups to reach out to, I have contacts that are a constant resource for referrals and etc. HR tends recruit on everything from HR to IT to Engineering to anything that is open in their company so don't they get a chance learn the ins and outs of one specific niche. This is not a knock on HR; one of my top clients I am exclusive with has an HR department they recruit on stuff first then send it to me to look at and more times than not I place that with in a week.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
So let me ask all the recruiters herein. Suppose you get a bad reference... do you ever hear out the potential recruit's side of the story?

Seems to me this whole game is a little one sided.
I always ask for 2-3 professional references if I get one that checks out bad or I get the "we can only confirm dates of employment" I ask for another reference and YES I do try and get the other side of the story. All good recruiters should do this, things are situational of course.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:02 PM

7,884 posts, read 8,463,714 times
Sorry, your references will get tired if they're constantly bothered by recruiters or perspective employers to get reviews on you.

You should only agree to the reference check AFTER you have been interviewed and it looks like you're in the running for a job.

Think about it, how many times would you want to return voice mails or play telephone tag with a recruiter to discuss someone.

Unless you have maintained a friendship with your references(and how many do that) they will tire of constantly getting calls about you.

Save that for when you know you're going to get a job.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
By nature recruitment consultants are sales people. There goal is to make money from commission and build leads through references. Most if not all seem to read from a script and know very little about the area they are recruiting for. Do not give references out until offer stage, ask what the upper and lower limit are when presented with salary expectations, when called up do not start talking about your previous job roles until they have given you some information about the job they're calling you up about....more often than not a recruiter will call about a dream job and ask for your references in advance - they will only use this to source jobs from your past employer.

ALWAYS BE ON YOUR GUARD WHEN DEALING WITH RECRUITMENT CONSULTANTS; BY NATURE THEY'RE SALES PEOPLE!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,046 times
Default It's shady

It's been a long time since I was in the market. It was the first thing that happened to me in my job search. I have like 4 nice big companies on my resume. I gave a "recruiter" references, and within a week she was in one person's office with her boss looking for an in. My reference was burned, and there was no job opportunity. If you're a professional with solid skill sets, staffing firms are a waste of time. Real recruiters will contact you to arrange interviews with nice firms without having to deal with this degrading nonsense.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 PM

4,614 posts, read 5,094,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
And yes recruiters are useless, they are un-accountable people. When you hold no accountability then you are useless.
When I got laid off last December, I worked with two recruiters, both of whom got me to places where I was doing final interviews within three weeks of being laid off. For the one where I took the job, he even sent me a gift card for The Palm to go have dinner with my wife to celebrate my new gig.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,601 times
I refuse to do business with a recruiter if they check my references before I have had an interview and there is some interest. I value my references, they are busy people. They don't need to be pestered unless absolutely necessary. If you worry about who I am, do a background check, test my IT skills. Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment