Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I understand that you are a recruiter and you are trying to make a living, but come on...

Do you not think there was ever a Monday morning meeting where the boss said to his HR worker bees? "Ok, people. Since we have to slash spending budgets, we now have to be more proactive with the hiring process. We cannot afford to pay a recruiter X amount of money, so it's everyone's responsibility to start pitching in and helping out".

More work for same pay. It's happening all over the place. If the company is tightening the belt with little things such as office supplies, they'll be tightening the belt with recruiters.
Just to clarify, and not that it matters a whole lot, but I'm not a Recruiter. I'm an Account Manager. I sell our services to companies, get the business, then our recruiters fill the position. I was a recruiter prior to moving into this role.

Anyways... of course that happens, and is happening even more now. But at the end of the day, managers need people in order to grow their business. And often times, HR does a very bad job of finding people. That's why most corporations spend millions of dollars each year on staffing.

I can tell you this, my company is one of the top 10 largest in the country in terms of annual revenue. And this week, the office I work in hit an all time high in terms of weekly revenue. So the economy is in the dumps, companies everywhere are laying people off, yet we're doing better than we ever have before. The staffing industry is strong right now. Anyone who blows recruiters off is doing a big disservice to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Completely agree with zxcv! This is exactly how it works when these recruiters actually have REAL clients with REAL jobs to interview for!

It's called -- plain and simple -- fishing for leads, folks! And, all recruiters have to do this from time to time.

They have no open positions to fill and are looking for manager names to get into the organizations you either work at or have worked for so they WILL have something to fill!

Don't fall for this! You'll be out of a job and out of references quickly if you pass these out upfront -- and NO interview in sight!
What new2sa said. I agree completely.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Also, unless you are working with multiple recruiters, why would your previous managers have to be contacted multiple times?
Consultants/contractors get boatloads of calls from recruiters and work with several different ones from all over for different positions that fit their skills. And, until they have a signed contract, they're still on the open market and applying.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:18 PM

29 posts, read 172,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Anyways... of course that happens, and is happening even more now. But at the end of the day, managers need people in order to grow their business. And often times, HR does a very bad job of finding people. That's why most corporations spend millions of dollars each year on staffing.
djkkt6, could you PLEASE explain me how is the recruiter job to find people better then the HR work ? I'm pretty stupid and don;t understand here, plus in my experience I was not able to find any difference !!!
Either of them, the dialog is like that: "So, could you describe me your last job, what did you do, what technologies did you use, etc", I start and explain them my projects and whatever I did and I can hear affirmative mumbling however, they have no idea what I'm talking about because they do not have the technical skills. So, the next step is for either of them (recruiter or HR) to set up a technical interview with the right person who can judge my knowledge correctly.
If I pass, either of them will arrange a second interview with the Manager to talk about possible offer, salary expectation, etc. Then they will ask and check my references.
If I do not pass, either of them will not bother to let me know that I'm a failure.

End of story.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv View Post
It seems ridiculous, but in the last 2 weeks I was contacted for several recruiters saying thet they have job opportunities for me, but before they could set up a technical interview wiht the company, they need to check my references and the references has to be the manager!!!

I provided to some of them my references but not the manager one, and they checked my references and did not setup any interview because I did not provide them the manager( I have to mention that they tested my techinical knowleadge - programming field- on a phone screening and said that was OK).
I think that that's a really a big SCAM here: they want to get managers cell phones so they can contact them and ask for jobs.

Is anybody here experiencing the same issue?

Isn't this consider an abuse on the people trying to find a job in these bad days ? Can't they be punished in a way for taking advantage on that?
Yes I have experienced this. I didn't have any reliable references to give them (way out of date), so I made one up using an alias (me) and a phone number they didn't know about.

If anyone called and asked for my Alias I'd know it was about a Job Reference and I'd act the part and answer whatever they wanted to know about me ..er...my former employee...ahem. They had no way of knowing or really verifying anything so they just took my word for it and it worked. Good friends or family members can do this for ya too. Even a former-coworker can pretend to have been your manager. As they know the company they will sound authentic enough.

Not trying to be deceptive or condone lying, but in order to be considered, I felt forced into that. If you have a real reference, then great, offer it up. Otherwise people start getting "resourceful".

Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Yes I have experienced this. I didn't have any reliable references to give them (way out of date), so I made one up using an alias (me) and a phone number they didn't know about.

If anyone called and asked for my Alias I'd know it was about a Job Reference and I'd act the part and answer whatever they wanted to know about me ..er...my former employee...ahem. They had no way of knowing or really verifying anything so they just took my word for it and it worked. Good friends or family members can do this for ya too. Even a former-coworker can pretend to have been your manager. As they know the company they will sound authentic enough.

Not trying to be deceptive or condone lying, but in order to be considered, I felt forced into that. If you have a real reference, then great, offer it up. Otherwise people start getting "resourceful".
Good job Jackyfrost01m, that's what they deserve!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:12 AM

364 posts, read 1,568,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv View Post
djkkt6, could you PLEASE explain me how is the recruiter job to find people better then the HR work ? I'm pretty stupid and don;t understand here, plus in my experience I was not able to find any difference !!!
I'm sorry, but... what?

Jackyfrost01 -- good, smart recruiters only accept work phone numbers for references in order to avoid getting duped by shady people like you.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
I'm sorry, but... what?

Jackyfrost01 -- good, smart recruiters only accept work phone numbers for references in order to avoid getting duped by shady people like you.
What what? You said in your prev comment that the companies should always count on staffing companies instead of their own HR, because using their own HR they hire bad people.
So, I was asking what's the diff between HR work and recruiter in the hiring process ?

Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,799 times
I tried once to ask my former manager for her cell and/or personal email address just to use as a reference in case I needed to in the future. She looked at me as if I was crazy!!! I only have one very good reference and he is the general council, Sr. VP and secretary for the company. All of my other references have flown the coop. Hope the only one I have is staying put for a while to come. If I decided to use a recruiters I would most certainly use more than one especially with the economy the way it is. You need as many options as possible to find work, and then do a lot of praying.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 11,907 times
^^^
On the flip side of the coin, I've heard of an instance in which a recruiter was specifically told to call a job seeker's references on their cell phones. The references didn't want their employers to think someone was trying to lure them away. The recruiter called their work numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search