U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,456,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Who cares if you do not need skills people have to do that job and should be payed a fair wage. Just because a lot of people can do it does not make it not valuable. What an idiot.
without getting into the merits of TSA, I can't agree with this at all

what is a "fair wage"?

to me it aligns with skill, experience, available labor force, etc.

Jobs that require high skill and a good amount of experience often have the lowest available labor force therefore they pay more.

Jobs that require less skill and experience often have the highest available job pool and will therefore pay less - it's more competative.

A lot of people being able to do a job may not make it less valuable in the service provided - but it will make it less competative as far as wages to the labor pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:07 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,566,314 times
How does an armed security guard make less than a screener??? And even a security officer(assuming they have no gun)....??? Pretty stupid.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:44 PM

15,514 posts, read 15,154,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
You don't need any damn skills for that job. You just sit there or stand there hassling people all day. Minimum wage is more than enough!

I am sure they have no shortage of people wanting that job, especially in this economy of 7%+ unemployment. People are going to take whatever they can get!
I agree with this post. It is a position that does not require a college education or a vocational skill. As a frequent flier, these folks can be a pain in the tail. It wouldn't bother me as much if I thought the screening process was really helping things. Scanning carry-ons is a good idea, but taking my shoes off, shampoo in a separate bag, no nail clippers etc is it really doing anything. Any nutjob determined to cause a problem will still be able to.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM

983 posts, read 2,985,973 times
OP it is a federal govt job so go to www.opm.gov and click on the link for wages and salary. Then go to gen schedule and locality pay tables. Click on annual or hourly rate for the area you will be working in. Then go to the grade and step. For example GS-04 or GS-03, etc. That will give you the entry step all the way up to the last step.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,716,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Hopefully, finding a weapon is easier!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 PM

49,278 posts, read 45,802,045 times
whatever it is its not enough.
a thankless job with high turnover.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 PM

794 posts, read 1,407,886 times
Default Take a minute..

If you all would take a minute and look at the link provided it states TSA screeners start out at about 14 dollars a hour. Not the best but not shabby for a starting wage.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 PM

1,541 posts, read 991,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterland View Post
ha! i applied for a tsa screening position about 6 months ago and those *******s finally got around to sending me a follow up e-mail. good thing i'm already working for a private company, get paid twice what they make, and don't have to submit to any bg checks or nazi ass drug screenings, just to hassel people at the airport and make flying more difficult than it already is. Go **** yourself tsa.
I agree with your sentiments about the TSA but for entirely different reasons. All they do is create an illusion of security, not real security.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,952,676 times
Quote:
ha! i applied for a tsa screening position about 6 months ago and those *******s finally got around to sending me a follow up e-mail. good thing i'm already working for a private company, get paid twice what they make, and don't have to submit to any bg checks or nazi ass drug screenings, just to hassel people at the airport and make flying more difficult than it already is. Go **** yourself tsa.
I take it your current employer didn't require "nazi ass drug screenings?"

Old 06-04-2010, 04:47 PM

17,580 posts, read 19,955,756 times
Quote:
Yeah, makes no sense for someone that screens luggage to have to take drug tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment