Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think it will be easier the longer you are there and the more time they have to get used to you. My daughter is in school and will be going into business management and I have already told her she has to be prepared for people not to like her at work because they will resent her because she's younger than they are and in a higher position, they will resent that she makes more money, they will resent that she is attractive. Especially in an office full of women they can tend to be very catty. She is a very kind and gentle person and I think once they get to know her they will love her, but that takes time, same as it will with you. I have worked in offices full of women before and I know what it is like.
You are correct...it is difficult to work with a team filled with women.

Sinsativ, I will remember your 11th Commendment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 02:12 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Well, I can see how it would be upsetting the way you are being treated. However, and this is nothing personal against you, a lot of Americans don't like the fact that people from India come here (US) on H1B visas and take away jobs from the people who live in this country. I know you are in Toronto but I can't see that place being terribly different. I could be wrong, however on that.

And I am in the situation where I am 49 reporting to a 27 year old and I don't like it either. She is inexperienced in terms of a work history unlike me and this does get to me when she tries to exert her authority. I sort of just shrug. She cannot help it as she hasn't worked many places whereas I have. Still, I am the one who switched careers and this meant starting at the bottom.

Best luck to you. I would just do the job and try not to take things personally.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:32 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,918 times
Movin'on,

I am not too familiar with H1B's and all, so I will not comment on that. I must assure you that I was prepared for "not-so-friendly" environment but not a RUDE behaviour which triggered this venting.
There is a difference between just shrugging and being rude to a point that you are offending the other person.

And I agree that being in 20's i might not have the invaluable experience like you all do, but I should be given a chance (which my VP is giving me if not the team).

I am over it now in any case. I am feeling much better lately and I keep to myself at work. I talk to them when needed and am usually firm if not stern. That seems to work for the team as well as for me.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:37 AM

186 posts, read 549,453 times
I was hired in at 21 as a lead tech, the other guys (Just Techs) have been at the plant for 12+ years all in their mid 40s. Sense I worked for a city government everyone knows each others get paid. Long story short I was not MR. Popular. I got called into my supervisors office and he asked why everyone (Just 2 guys really) complained about me and i wasn't complaining about them. I told him he had to ask those guys. After over 4 years I quit and HR asked why, I just told them "I don't wake up every day to deal with this crap. If you don't know whats going on you will never know". I planned when I was leaving and it was on my terms not an employer. Did I want to leave? not really but as a guy in a highly skilled field I know the ball is in my court. After 3 years leaving that organization I now make 3xs the amount I use to and on my terms. Maybe the I have the attitude as some youth today that I will never be a slave to an organization. Point being your not alone, The ball will always be in your court and if it's not you do have problems. Something that did help was the employee assistance program were you talk to this lady. I didn't talk much except to tell her what I think the problem is. lol she just said why are you still with this company then I realized I don't have to be a slave. I started to plan and 10 months later I jumped ship. It was kind of funny when I was being questioned why my use of sick leave went through the roof. I was thinking man they have to know I'm outta here.

Best of Luck

Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
SactoBankerGirl,
Yes, thats why they they brought me it. But honestly speaking, I was totally up-prepared for the hostility which runs to this extent. Again Yes, they had been together as a team for over 20 to 25 years and NOW its obvious that they have been hoping to get my role. When they didnt get this role, they are taking the anger out on me.
Worst thing is that I have to learn everything by myself. No help around...when I ask an explanation for a problem they just say "I dont know". Not at all a pleasant situation to be in. But then again, given some time, when I learn how the concepts work, it will be much much easier for me. isnt it?
It's not for someone that works under you to teach you how to do the job you were hired to do. Your employer is probably paying you less than they would have had to pay someone that had been with the company for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment