Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times

Advertisements

hahah zednem, we all have our bad days!!!!

Today is my good day as her bosses have laid on the work. No more chirping as she actually has to do some work!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
She surely will not receive employee of the month...

Usually those types are related to someone or know someone upstairs, that is why they are so bold.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Emmm, not sure if the coworker in this situation is at least fulfilling her/his basic responsibilities or dumping EVERYTHING on others. I had this guy in my team about 2 years ago whom everyone in my team used to hate. He hardly used to work and the basic small trades had also need to be allocated to someone else.

It took me about 14 months to get rid of him. There were numerous reason behind this delay.

1. Firstly, we had to PROVE that he is incompetant (Else we might be sued for not filing reasons before letting him go). To gather evidence it took time.

2. Once we had solid evidence against him, we had to give 3 verbal warnings, 3 written warnings before we could send him away. This again takes time.

3. And then we had to hire someone new who fits in this role. And also identify who woud train them. (Our work involved trading, so the new joiner needed fulltime on-job training for at least 4 weeks before we can let him sit on the trading desk).

4. There is a lot of cost involved in this as well. Apart from the training, we had to do the back-ground check...which these days has become expensive. Specially if the person we are hiring has a lot of experience...

usually all these things are not discussed with the team. So thats why maybe some of you are feeling that management is not doing anything...but they might be doing something which you dont know yet?....

This is just my side of the story why I coulldnt get rid of an in-efficient person in my team soon enough.

Where do you live?

In a "At will" state, they can get rid of someone without any reason at all. Usually, the "reasons" are put in writing so some boss doesn't look petty. They usually fire someone before they qualify for unemployment.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Trust me there is NOTHING that management is not aware of. They know about everything that goes around in the office, who works, who doesn't, who is a jerk, who is not, etc, etc. Managers choose to look the other way on purpose because there is something (not work-related) they are getting from the jerk. You just don't know about their activities outside of the office. Maybe she is supplying them with something that they cannot do without. Have you heard the saying "there is no such thing as a permanent friendship, only permanent interests"?

As long as the management is getting something they need out of the jerk, they could care less about the other employees which they just see as numbers. I have a disgusting jerk in my office too who is a pain to deal with, does not work, has a terrible attitude, talks to herself loudly all day, talks to her kids on the phone every 10 minutes, gossips about everyone in the office, etc but management love her to death and is very overprotective of her. They not only pay her regular pay but also overtime for doing what?!!!!!

I am not kidding here...I think some imply they will give out sex.
Others know the boss' family or friends.

No company is going to keep on dead weight, not in THIS economy, unless there is a string, and a big one.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Ya know The Target Lady character on Saturday Night Live? That's my co-worker. Just add chain smoking, a thick southern accent and exaggerated inhaling of air before speaking.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I am not kidding here...I think some imply they will give out sex.
Others know the boss' family or friends.

No company is going to keep on dead weight, not in THIS economy, unless there is a string, and a big one.
You're right. No company (with decent management) will keep on dead weight in ANY economy unless they are getting something. In my company, no one dares to speak against her anymore. There were two employees who did that but they were quickly fired.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Get over it. Maybe she hates her job and the supervisor. Use empathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Is anyone else sick of their stupid stupid coworker who not only sits around all day doing NOTHING, but also screws up everything so that YOU get to fix it??

She talks to herself, talks to her sons (grown ups but she sounds like she's talking to a baby), talks talks talks. Then spends the day reviewing Entertainment Weekly.

oh gawd. I'm the sort who believes people will hang themselves in work, but this time karma has left me alone.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Where do you live?

In a "At will" state, they can get rid of someone without any reason at all. Usually, the "reasons" are put in writing so some boss doesn't look petty. They usually fire someone before they qualify for unemployment.

I used to live in London (UK), not sure if thats relevant.

As I said, I was refering to ONLY my "companies Policy". Any FYI, Its one of the biggest Financial institutions (now a bank too) still surviving in this present markets (after the sub-prime mess) with relatively less losses. Don't rule out the option that "getting rid of" will take time.

And also, it need not ALWAYS be associated with perks from the in-efficient employees. (Just my opinion).

Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,820 times
try what this guy does:

YouTube - Angry man at work

Old 11-21-2008, 09:04 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Here is the new low cost, company approved solution to cope with multiple priorities and assignments!

Each employee will be supplied 2 paper clips and rubber bands. (See Fig 1.)

Fig 1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fig1.bmp
Views:	238
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	31146

Assemble items as shown in Fig 2.

Fig 2.

Name:	fig 2.bmp
Views:	297
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	31147

Apply as shown in Fig 3.
Fig 3.

Name:	fig 3.bmp
Views:	379
Size:	729.1 KB
ID:	31148
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment