U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-23-2008, 01:09 AM

6,270 posts, read 12,499,131 times

Advertisements

does anyone know the laws regarding former employer mailing a last check? According to the wage and labor board if an employee is terminated the employer has only 3 days to pay the former employee. Not sure about when one quits though and couldn't find specifics on that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 04:35 AM

259 posts, read 630,504 times
A friend of mine quit his job and was told by the labor board that his former employer must pay him on the next scheduled pay day.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,164,312 times
I had this issue once. The employers were such fumbling baboons that they never sent my last check to me...for 3 weeks. When I finally called they said "we didn't know what to do with it."

I said, "you customarily send it home. You have my address on file."

Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 PM

7,405 posts, read 11,982,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
A friend of mine quit his job and was told by the labor board that his former employer must pay him on the next scheduled pay day.
Next scheduled payday is correct....

Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,955,347 times
I worked one day at a waitress job and I just could not handle it. I told the owner/manager that night it was not for me. I was being honest.

He failed to send me my paycheck. I called the board of labor and I emailed him several times. He was clueless *right* and said he did not know my address (lie). Eventually he sent it.

Funny, I have seen that job advertised about 10 times in the last year...

Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 PM

13,779 posts, read 17,016,507 times
Yes, next scheduled pay day...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM

have called and emailed former employer; the response was, "I'll probably get your check in the mail in a few days". My response was-I'll most definitely be filing a complaint with the Wage and Labor board and BBB and making some calls to some others to relate to them activities going on in your business and you know what I'm talking about! And so the dance begins.......

Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM

140 posts, read 514,518 times
I worked at one place were I was paid a bi-weekly salary and monthly commision (% of profit after expenses). I had quit and they mailed me my salary check. I knew commision checks didn't get printed until the payday that was on the 15th of the month or after. So I waited for about 7 days after that payday and still no commision check. I called the office manager several times she was not avaliable. I was also told by one of the office staff (on my third try to reach her) that she said that I needed to have an "exit interview" before I could get my check. I would also have to talk to the owner to set this up. Back to trying to talk to the office manager to get to the owner to set this up to get my commision check.
It's not like it was a small check either ($1300.) After many phone calls and no returned calls (now almost 60 days later), I decided to send an email to the owner that if I didn't not get my check that I was owed by the end of the month ( a week left) I was going to get the dept.of labor involved. I recieved a phone call from the office manager on my answering machine the next day saying my check would be mailed that day, I recieved it 2 days later.
I think they were having sour grapes over my quiting, they had a hard time finding a replacement ( took 5 months to find one)

Last edited by BOBBB17037; 11-24-2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,522,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
does anyone know the laws regarding former employer mailing a last check? According to the wage and labor board if an employee is terminated the employer has only 3 days to pay the former employee. Not sure about when one quits though and couldn't find specifics on that.
Depends on the state. In California, if you're terminated your check is due immediately. If you resign, they have 72 hours. More than likely by the time your complaint is reviewed, your check would have been received and the matter closed by the Wage & Labor board. You could choose to take the company to court to see if they would pay a penalty if you have the time and money to do so but if we're only talking about a few days, you may find you're out more money than what you were fighting for plus you would be leaving a bad taste with an employer who could give you a bad reference (whether formally or informally). I always try not to burn my bridges. You never know who you might need. I found it quite interesting when one of my former co-workers who could give a rats behind for how she treated others was doing some major kissing up when she found out I was the boss of her future boss.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM

this biotch gives bad references(I heard her numerous times) regardless of anything. She is a vindictive, evil and I think deranged individual who should be on meds or in a mental facility. However and even given my opinion of her; I am willing to go the distance and dance the dance because I want my money and because I'm stubborn .

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
plus you would be leaving a bad taste with an employer who could give you a bad reference (whether formally or informally). I always try not to burn my bridges. You never know who you might need. I found it quite interesting when one of my former co-workers who could give a rats behind for how she treated others was doing some major kissing up when she found out I was the boss of her future boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment