Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

DETROIT – A federal judge says a Detroit city employee can proceed with a civil suit claiming she couldn't work because of a co-worker's strong perfume.

The Detroit News says U.S. District Judge Lawrence Zatkoff determined Susan McBride has a potential claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Judge allows civil suit over co-worker's perfume - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081127/ap_on_fe_st/odd_perfume_lawsuit;_ylt=AiGtEKkmRGHOHOamaWL_z_bti BIF - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 12:28 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
The signs of impending doom are everywhere. There's a thread in the "General U.S." forum about a school kid in Florida who was actually arrested for farting. What's next?

Old 11-27-2008, 02:16 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,419,826 times
Actually, I think there is something to be said for this, even though I do wear perfume. The other day at work there was this woman with this perfume and it affected my asthma.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,113,372 times
it's about time this issue is addressed. Smoking was banned everywhere for health reasons and those who are allergic or sensitive to perfumes should have the same rights as though who complained about second hand smoke. I always tell an employer when I hire in that I canNOT be around perfumes. It's then the responsibility of said employer to insure my health is not jepardized and to inform other employees not to wear the crap.
I should sue the ex biotch I worked for because she would never tell new employees not to wear perfumes; therefore I had to!.

Last edited by Élan vital; 11-30-2008 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-30-2008, 01:45 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,113,372 times
trust me on this-if you had to go home often enough (or ever!!!) and lose pay, end up at the ER due to raging migraine, throwing up, etc you might understand.
I confess to not understanding the whole perfume thing. I don't wanna smell anything, any odor/scent on anyone ever. For someone to subject others to their choice of scents is beyond ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The signs of impending doom are everywhere. There's a thread in the "General U.S." forum about a school kid in Florida who was actually arrested for farting. What's next?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
The problem is that some people don't understand moderation. I wear perfume now and then, but I apply it very lightly so you have to be within a foot or two of me to smell it--verified by asking people as I don't want to offend. Frankly if you are that close you are in my personal space, so back off and you won't have the problem.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:02 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,104,357 times
The whiff of some perfumes will send me into an asthma attack. It doesn't have to be strong smelling either. If the employer has been made aware that the employee has asthma and that certain things can start an attack then they should be to see that he/she is not exposed to them.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
The whiff of some perfumes will send me into an asthma attack. It doesn't have to be strong smelling either. If the employer has been made aware that the employee has asthma and that certain things can start an attack then they should be to see that he/she is not exposed to them.
As an asthmatic I agree--to an extent. I don't think it's appropriate to tell employees that they must wear no perfumes, no hairspray, unscented deoderant, etc. At some point the line becomes crossed between a reasonable accomodation and insanity.

Instead of banning all scented items, it is more prudent to have a written policy asking employees to avoid overuse of these items, and to not apply any aerosal based perfume, cologne, or hairspray in the workplace. HR can address any issues on a case-by-case basis as they arise.

I have allergies, asthma, and get migraines from certain perfumes, but I don't expect the world to revolve around me. While I feel it's highly inappropriate for a costmetic person to randomly spritz me with perfume as I walk through the door of a department store, I also feel that I have a personal responsibility to simply use another door if it's that much of a problem.

Same thing with the workplace. I simply found a job that allows me to work from home so I don't have to expect my co-workers to change their habits. I'm an administrative assistant to an executive, and I work 100% remotely.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,104,357 times
I agree with you about not banning all scented items. However, if someone has on a product which is causing a problem for someone else, the workplace should have a policy to deal with it. I have as much right to work in an environment which is safe for me as anyone else. I tried to say that the employer should only be involved after being made aware of a problem. Most scents do not bother me and I have no objection to them, only the ones which cause me trouble. I also understand that other people will not know if scents bother me unless I make them aware of it and that they cannot remove it immediately. I once had a boss who wore a scent that I could not tolerate. She stayed away from me for the rest of the day and did not wear the scent again. Another time, I was in an assigned seating classroom situation. My assigned seat was changed and everything was fine. As you can see, there are simple solutions to this problem, if only the are sought and implimented. I do not expect the world to revolve around me and stay away from situations which may be harmful to me, but it isn't always possible.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Scents bother me but I really think the courts have much better thongs to do which they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment