Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,848 times

Advertisements

Well most of these are singular. I'm in a bigger scale. The floor crews and carpet crews where I work have had their jobs changed in the last year. Carpets were told to just do entryway in buildings and not the rotating areas they were usually doing. Floor crew learned a new way to do terrazzo and cement floors with the cement floor taking 13 steps to complete and could not be a rushed job. They were stripping and refinishing classroom and hallway floors. We worked hard watched our breaks but not good enough so they say. This is the employer setting employees up to outsource their jobs. They make the employees feel like it is their fault. It is a sad day indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,099,452 times
many many have set me up (and failed) i can always tell who is on my side when i win
their heads hang and they look so sad.
but then again people call me names, like paranoid.
see film "red #2 with bruce willis.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
A previous boss "set me up to fail" at a job. He determined after I started that he did not care for my personality and how I talked to him. (I tried to be nice but we just had different personalities).

The company policies and human resources procedures would not let him fire me without warning or due process, so the boss had to give me a formal warning and performance improvement plan. The standards they set up though were incredibly strict and impossible for anyone to accomplish. In fact I was set up to fail.

I wonder how common this is in corporate America. Where a boss decides he does not like you and then does everything he can to make you look bad and eventually fires you even though you are supposed to be protected by a due process system.
Yes. It was a horrible experience.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
At any rate, to the OP, yes does happen. Most likely the boss just doesn't like you.
Or, the boss is threatened by you for whatever reason, and does not want you to even get the CHANCE to outshine him or her.

Also, managers who have something to hide really don't like employees who shine the light on them.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,734,032 times
Pretty much without a true warning. It was merely "verbal" and I was fired within the probationary period but I was pretty much the fall guy for my trainer who was "untouchable" and nothing but a royal ***** who never did anything wrong but complained about little things others did and even insinuated that I was retarded when she was acting assistant manager.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,442,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I really think if you have a job where your personality clashes with your supervisor, if you can't find a way to change it, the best idea is to find another position with the same company or seek employment elsewhere. If you stay there, you will only be miserable and worry all the time.
I just learned that if I stuck it out for another 2.5 years, the miserable boss' son would've left for another company..... yeah too long, I would've been long out one way or another.

I've seen things as petty as political preferences, saying you think the Samsung Galaxy s3 is better than the Iphone, or how insulting someone's beloved PS3 video game console has tainted relationships when they had nothing to do with work performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I agree with the previous poster. Performance Improvement plans or formal written warnings are usually a strong signal to start looking for a new job quickly. I have seen few people overcome them.
That's been my observations.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,758,054 times
Oh yes, this has happened to me. Basically I had a bad performance review based on items that I was not solely responsible for. However, since my manager did not manage these people, but she had to be pulled into it to "fix" the issue, she decided to give me a bad performance review. I came very, very close to not signing off on it; because I felt that on paper, it did not accurately represent what had occurred. However, in considering the battle...I decided not to fight it. #1, I was close to finishing my Master's degree, so I didn't want to deal with a job search AND graduation. #2, it gave 90 days to "improve my performance" so it's not like they were kicking me out the door right then and there. I eventually ended up quitting on my own accord anyway. Good riddance! I've moved on....and life is that much better because of it!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,734,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I just learned that if I stuck it out for another 2.5 years, the miserable boss' son would've left for another company..... yeah too long, I would've been long out one way or another.

I've seen things as petty as political preferences, saying you think the Samsung Galaxy s3 is better than the Iphone, or how insulting someone's beloved PS3 video game console has tainted relationships when they had nothing to do with work performance.

That's been my observations.
As you see on CD, politics discussions between people is not exactly petty. What is though, is movies, cell phone, video game and other preferences.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 PM

50 posts, read 77,862 times
This thread is old, but reading the stories makes me feel like I'm not alone.
It's like these managers have a modus operandi when they want to get rid of people, specifically lie, exaggerate, belittle, criticize, write them up and kick them out.

The great thing about life is that change is constant. These people will not always be in power forever. Layoffs can happen to them too. Plus, we the belittled can rise. Every dog will have its day

Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,001,487 times
How about setting you up to fail AFTER HIRING YOU?!

Tales from corporate America, stupid small business edition #478:

The company in question is a local, failing machine shop. While they weren't failing when they hired me, the culture at the time was still rotten to the core, but I didn't know that and I needed a job.

Well, the company hired me as a CAM programmer. I had no experience in CAM, though I had 10 years of CAD and engineering experience at the time. The company, to their credit, was willing to train me - which was probably the last thing they did right since late summer of 2012.

So, I received some training and am eventually moved back to the Programming Department to officially join the group. And what happens? I am immediately ostracized by my so-called coworkers, accused of being a "management spy" put there to "sabotage" them, and otherwise shunned and given a hard time by the 2 old farts that basically dominate the show back there. Months go by as I learn what I can with the 2 old farts doing everything to keep me in the dark and give me sh*t. They actually spent more time trying to come up with insulting nicknames for me than finishing my training as they were instructed to do.

After some time, I discover from these 2 cranks that management told them that I was a "CAM guru" and "was going to show them how do their job the RIGHT way!"

Keep in mind, I flat-out admitted to having no CAM skills when the place interviewed and hired me, so one of two things is possible:

1) Management flat-out lied to the Programming Department and set me up to fail by making me out to be some sort of "CAM guru" who was going to "shake things up" and antagonize the whole department.

2) The senior Programmers are lying about why they gave me no end of grief, shunned me on 1st contact, and generally ostracized me.

Either way, it speaks to a sick corporate culture, and while I grew to despise both of those bigoted old farts who passed as "coworkers" - believe me, they deserve no less - I suspect in this case they were right and management did lie to them, especially since such lies were commonplace.

I have no idea what was supposed to be gained from this lie, but they set me up to fail WHEN HIRING ME?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment