Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 34,748 times

Advertisements

I'm living this Hell now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:51 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
I have never been on warning or fired. This is extremely common though. Once you are put on warning it would be time to look for a new job. Lots of big corporations make it difficult for managers to fire people. When they put you on warning, they have likely decided that they dont want to keep you around.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
This is very common. I would start applying elsewhere, if you get a PIP. I was written up twice at a job paying $12/hr for performance issues.

At my next job which was much higher difficulty, I made $50k/yr and the highest review possible with a merit raise and a $7k/bonus. The position wasn't even eligible for a bonus, the boss had to get it signed off by senior management.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Find yourself a boss that values you.

Last edited by move4ward; 02-07-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 12:38 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Agreed at many places in the private sector being cool and fun to hang out with is the number one qualification. A performance warning is a popularity warning meaning they don't care if you are a rock-star employee they just don't like having you around and are getting together a paper trail to terminate you. Many companies are just dysfunctional and employees management that shallow.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Agreed at many places in the private sector being cool and fun to hang out with is the number one qualification. A performance warning is a popularity warning meaning they don't care if you are a rock-star employee they just don't like having you around and are getting together a paper trail to terminate you. Many companies are just dysfunctional and employees management that shallow.
This can happen. But I'm still here and he's gone. No one wants to work for a sociopath.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 AM

332 posts, read 868,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
This is very common. I would start applying elsewhere, if you get a PIP. I was written up twice at a job paying $12/hr for performance issues.

At my next job which was much higher difficulty, I made $50k/yr and the highest review possible with a merit raise and a $7k/bonus. The position wasn't even eligible for a bonus, the boss had to get it signed off by senior management.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Find yourself a boss that values you.
Exactly! Companies may say they practice open door policy and will listen to your concerns hell I work IN HR and my ex boss disliked me from day one for NO REASON just because her lapdog (supervisor) went away for a few months and I had to take on the pregnant *****'s work over mine. I don't fully trust ANY company. I just believe in having the right skills and education to move forward if anything should not work out.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,215 times
Default Encouraging but sad this is a fairly common issue

I started at a new facility and quickly was able to move up to a better position, one I absolutely loved and received excellent feedback for, from clients and coworkers, as well as managers in several departments. However, a new manager decided she did not like me, or the fact that I was well liked. I was hauled into her office and given a chastising and "improvement plan" which made no sense for my position. She also told me "this job isn't for you and I can terminate you at any time". I was in complete shock. I went to the director who told me basically to hush and not say anything. I finally quit as i was so worried about coming in one morning to a termination notice. I have always loved every job I've had, gleaning positive aspects and working to do my best. The manager was later fired, and I was asked if I felt vindicated. My reply was that no, I felt unemployed. Now I am working to find a job but at 53, I'm finding this a difficult task.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 PM

142 posts, read 294,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassillis View Post
I started at a new facility and quickly was able to move up to a better position, one I absolutely loved and received excellent feedback for, from clients and coworkers, as well as managers in several departments. However, a new manager decided she did not like me, or the fact that I was well liked. I was hauled into her office and given a chastising and "improvement plan" which made no sense for my position. She also told me "this job isn't for you and I can terminate you at any time". I was in complete shock. I went to the director who told me basically to hush and not say anything. I finally quit as i was so worried about coming in one morning to a termination notice. I have always loved every job I've had, gleaning positive aspects and working to do my best. The manager was later fired, and I was asked if I felt vindicated. My reply was that no, I felt unemployed. Now I am working to find a job but at 53, I'm finding this a difficult task.
Why don't you just go back to the company and see if they'll rehire you? You can explain everything exactly as you did here.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 PM

142 posts, read 294,206 times
I've had situations occur like this before. One job the owner wanted to find her grandson a position so she was on everyone's back trying to get someone to quit. Another job, since day one a fellow employee had been on my back. It seems she was trying to get me to quit. I later found out that she was upset that I replaced a friend of hers that used to work there but who was fired for poor performance. When all that she tried to do to get me to quit failed she set me up. She had friends of hers (2 seedy shyteballs, I might add) come into the business and had them complain to my boss that I had a 'bad attitude'. I was totally shocked. I am a super-friendly person and would never be rude to a customer. I never had a problem with her 'friends' and one of them even thanked me profusely for my service. Totally amazing the subterfuge some people will use to achieve their ends. I've never been anything but nice to this woman but she wanted me out. Maybe she was hoping our boss would rehire her friend. It didn't work though. I met another employer through my job and was offered a great position at twice what I was making. I made sure to heavily advertise that fact throughout the business. Boy, was her nose out of joint.

Last edited by Anamandy; 07-24-2015 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-26-2015, 08:58 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I have never been on warning or fired. This is extremely common though. Once you are put on warning it would be time to look for a new job. Lots of big corporations make it difficult for managers to fire people. When they put you on warning, they have likely decided that they dont want to keep you around.
Exactly, they're just building a case to get rid of you (rightly or wrongly) once that bad performance review has been issued. Start looking for a new job ASAP so you can leave on your own terms rather than getting fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment