Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 04:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times

Advertisements

What is your opinions on temp-to-hire positions? I am starting one tomorrow for the state government in IT and after six weeks, Ill be eligible for full-time status. I am a bit nervous about it because last time I did a temp-to-hire I got a call stating my "assignment has ended" after only two days. Is this a regular occurrence with a temp-to-hire position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I've done 2 temp jobs. One was years ago, and it was strictly supposed to be a temp job but they were willing to take me on after a few months (I was moving away from the area but it would have been a job.)

The other one was recently and I was told when hired that 'we have several positions coming open in the end of your assignment.' It was a lie because nothing came of it. It was a mess and in the end, I left (I asked them several times over the course of 5 months if there was a job for me or not and was directly lied to..)

I'd go for it but keep your eyes open--if it seems like nothing is happening then be wary. Some companies do test you out by doing temp to perm (like my first example).

Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What is your opinions on temp-to-hire positions? I am starting one tomorrow for the state government in IT and after six weeks, Ill be eligible for full-time status. I am a bit nervous about it because last time I did a temp-to-hire I got a call stating my "assignment has ended" after only two days. Is this a regular occurrence with a temp-to-hire position?
My first two jobs were "temp-to-hire", the first one didn't work out and I left after my contract was up. The next one led to two promotions and two raises in 1.5 years. My sister started her career as a temp-to-hire and ended up working almost a decade with that organization. It's an easier way to hire because it allows the employer to test you out first.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:41 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Temp to hire is fine; it depends on the company and your manager though. One of the best jobs I ever had (Nokia) was a temp to hire position and they followed through with all of their promises.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:46 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,411 times
Temp-to-hire is incredibly common in IT. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I've worked at almost half a dozen temp to hire positioins over the years. One I wasn't hired after they led me on for over a year. Three I quit before they hired me as I found a better opportunity, and one I was released after two days as the agency had grossly exagerated my skillset and I wasn't qualified for the job. I have no doubt that had I stayed on at the three positions that I left before I was hired on that I would have been hired and in two of the three cases, I would have had a nice tenure with that particular company. (The other one I would have quit either way--they had rats in the building, uh, no thanks.)

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
When I was 19 with no solid experience but great skills, Temp to hire got my foot in the door at a Fortune 500 company, which gave me the corporate experience to get better and better jobs. I say go for it! I've had temp-hire spots that seemed to be going nowhere as well, what I did in those cases was look for a better permanent position while working the temp to hire.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 PM

43 posts, read 154,913 times
Whether or not your t-t-h position works out depends on three things. The integrity of the staffing co that placed you, how forthcoming the client company (where you work) was with the service and how well you do on the job.

If everyone has been completely honest about the situation you will meet their expectations and they will meet yours, If the honesty chain broke down somewhere, either you or the employer may opt out of the situation before you reach the 6 week mark. (If you decide it's not for you, opt out with notice. That should preserve your relationship with the service.)

I have 17 yrs experience in hiring and recruiting the last 5 of which as a staffing agency owner. Our t-t-h time frame was an agreement between us and the client company. Once the time frame expired the company could hire the employee without owing us any more money. But they didn't have a contractural obligation to hire. Just because they could hire doesn't mean they did. That's where a break down in honesty or communication will hurt the most.

That said however, my experience is in administrative and accounting placement. I'm not sure what the norm is in IT. My advice would be to ask your recruiter exactly how it works with them. You might also ask how many other people they've placed with this company. If there's a history there the service will have a good idea of the client company's track record. And thery should be willing to share that info with you.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:08 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,918 times
I got one of the best jobs I have ever had through a temp agency. I like them because both you and the company can evaluate each other on a temp basis and part ways with no problem if it doesn't work out. Downside is it doesn't pay as much.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM

295 posts, read 1,178,916 times
Hi there,

I work as an IT Recruiter and I can tell you that in the industry, temp to hire is quite normal these days. It is really a win win situation in that it gives you and them a chance to "try before you buy".

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment