Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

I saw the Help Wanted sign on the front of a FedEx store as I was going in to drop off mail.

So when I got in I talked with the manager (young white guy with liberal rock star appearance) he blurted out "We aren't really needing anyone". Then I said "So there isn't a position available?" Then he said "Yes but it depends on what my other stores need or don't need" and then I said "So what are the tasks?" and then he said in a sad tone of voice "just doing work with the packages is all". Then he tried to change the subject to something else so that I would stop probing in interest for the job.

I was like WTH and pretty irritated with this low life that was giving me the run around. I felt like I had to pull teeth in order to get any answers out of him and I also felt like I was discriminated against.

Your thoughts!

Last edited by artsyguy; 12-10-2008 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
We have help wanted signs in a lot of our locations, even though we aren't actually hiring. We constantly take applications, it's called keeping the bench full. It might have been a stuation like that, or maybe there was something about your appearance or demeanor that he didn't like--that had nothing to do with race, color, religion, etc.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 PM

So it is ok to discriminate against appearance and demeanor? I have a bachelor of science and I am getting a masters degree at a very much respected university, so what does appearance or demeanor have to do with hiring at a Fedex? Everybody there looked liberal. I didn't see any conservative people in suit and ties working there.

I came into the store and asked kindly about the job. My hair is fashionable and clean, my body is clean, my clothes are clean, my finger nails are clean, and I am physically fit. I don't see what the problem is here???? You seem to be very defensive for no reason????

Also his attitude was rude and unprofessional. You don't treat paying customers like that. I will never give him my money again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We have help wanted signs in a lot of our locations, even though we aren't actually hiring. We constantly take applications, it's called keeping the bench full. It might have been a stuation like that, or maybe there was something about your appearance or demeanor that he didn't like--that had nothing to do with race, color, religion, etc.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
It could very well be that you came across as too aggressive. Personality is not a protected class. As a hiring manager part of the process is making sure that all of the personalities will be able to work together.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 PM

218 posts, read 755,711 times
ArtsyGuy You probably should have put an earring in your nose or eyebrow first.

In my area, prerequisites seem to be -around 20 years old
very, very "laid back" (because they don't want to pay anything)
Make your hair a mess.
Look and act utterly clueless.
Wear bell-botton pants-jeans that drag big-time on the ground and make sure they are below the hip. Do NOT wear a belt!
Insist on fiilling out an application and make sure you put an apostrophe on every single plural!!
Race does not matter as long as these are met.
The piercings are a biggie, though! And wrist tattos help.

It's true you have to fit in. Can't have professional misfits going around treating customers with courtesy. Sad but true in these parts.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So it is ok to discriminate against appearance and demeanor? I have a bachelor of science and I am getting a masters degree at a very much respected university, so what does appearance or demeanor have to do with hiring at a Fedex? Everybody there looked liberal. I didn't see any conservative people in suit and ties working there.

I came into the store and asked kindly about the job. My hair is fashionable and clean, my body is clean, my clothes are clean, my finger nails are clean, and I am physically fit. I don't see what the problem is here???? You seem to be very defensive for no reason????

Also his attitude was rude and unprofessional. You don't treat paying customers like that. I will never give him my money again.
But of course it is ok to discrminate against appearance and demeanor!! What does appearance and demeanor have to do with hiring at Fedex? The same it has to do with hiring for virtually any job! I worked at Blockbuster while I was going to college, and I took that interview just as seriously as any I've ever had. And prior to that, I had been turned down at Barnes & Noble twice, even during the holiday season--and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why--I did a great interview, I lived in the neighborhood, I was a college student, yet I got nowhere. YOU are the one getting defensive, and you call the guy a lowlife! You seem to have a short fuse! Maybe that is what the guy detected!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM

That doesn't mean he can withhold application information. He can refuse an interview obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
But of course it is ok to discrminate against appearance and demeanor!! What does appearance and demeanor have to do with hiring at Fedex? The same it has to do with hiring for virtually any job! I worked at Blockbuster while I was going to college, and I took that interview just as seriously as any I've ever had. And prior to that, I had been turned down at Barnes & Noble twice, even during the holiday season--and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why--I did a great interview, I lived in the neighborhood, I was a college student, yet I got nowhere. YOU are the one getting defensive! You seem to have a short fuse! Maybe that is what the guy detected!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 PM

You are right. I should have looked like an ignorant idiot and spoke with caveman level communication skills. That seems to be what they want.

I was really upfront with the guy and just requested information about the help they needed in plain old fashioned English. Maybe he is not used to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
You probably should have put an earring in your nose or eyebrow first.

In my area, prerequisites seem to be -around 20 years old
very, very "laid back" (because they don't want to pay anything)
Make your hair a mess.
Look and act utterly clueless.
Wear bell-botton pants-jeans that drag big-time on the ground and make sure they are below the hip. Do NOT wear a belt!
Insist on fiilling out an application and make sure you put an apostrophe on every single plural!!
Race does not matter as long as these are met.
The piercings are a biggie, though!

Last edited by artsyguy; 12-10-2008 at 08:43 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 08:43 PM

How was I too aggressive?? What is are examples of too aggressive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
It could very well be that you came across as too aggressive. Personality is not a protected class. As a hiring manager part of the process is making sure that all of the personalities will be able to work together.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That doesn't mean he can withhold application information. He can refuse an interview obviously.

You are right. I should have looked like an ignorant idiot and spoke with caveman level communication skills. That seems to be what they want.
If he didn't want to hire you, he's not required to hand you an application. Let's not make this stuff up as we go along. Maybe there was discrimination here. I'm not saying you are wrong. But if that's the case, wouldn't it have been just as easy to let you fill out an application, then toss it in the waste can after you left? And your sarcasm does you no credit. Why would anyone want to hire you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment