U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,972,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Who agrees with me and whose workplace has gotten a LOT more hellish in the past few months? Share your stories here. Misery loves company.
No, my company is great. They work hard to promote work-life balance...although of course we all have a lot of work and we're worrying that next year might be a tougher year for us financially. So...we deal with that by trying to innovate and drill new markets. We're still hiring and filling positions, so we're not feeling that pinch of being understaffed. (If you're an industrial engineer and looking for a job, especially within the healthcare industry, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of my company's website.) We've got decent medical benefits (plus dental and vision) and good vacation/holiday/sick time, a pension, 401(k) matching. We're still on for bonuses this year, and everyone below the director level is still up for a merit increase.

My company doesn't micromanage. Employees don't punch a clock, and nobody stands over their shoulder. Managers are great about flex time (4-day weeks) and working remotely. Upper management makes an effort to keep us apprised of major decisions and even solicits our opinions on a lot of big issues. (We had one of those meetings today, as a matter of fact.)

So no...no hellish stories from me. I work for a great company *knock on wood* and I know how lucky I am. I'm sure there are probably people in the company who have their gripes, but in general I think it's a great company and they try really hard to select the right people and KEEP those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,839,252 times
We will probably see more people just taking a gun to work and blowing the bosses away. And I won't shed any tears for them.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
I don't know. I am an employer and I do not think I take advantage of my staff. I expect them to do their job and do it right. If they don't there are other people out their willing to do their job, and do it right.
That is what they all SAY but when you get in there, more times than not, you get no direction, unclear orders, bad methods of procedure and 2 people telling you to do something 2 different ways. And then when it all goes south, they ALL try to throw you under the bus for it. I have little regard for managers today. Most of them are dumb as a goose. Not necessarily you but I have seen enough to know most of them are.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 AM

24,006 posts, read 32,379,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We will probably see more people just taking a gun to work and blowing the bosses away. And I won't shed any tears for them.
And people wonder why more an more companies are doing personality testing as part of the interview process...

Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And people wonder why more an more companies are doing personality testing as part of the interview process...
Any human being will break if you stress them enough.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:57 AM
FBJ

35,146 posts, read 24,398,853 times
Quote:

You don't very employable sir, you need to fix your personality.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You don't very employable sir, you need to fix your personality.
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 AM

709 posts, read 1,214,170 times
Quote:
What an utter load of crap. Sure that's true. Like if someone holds a gun to your family's head or rapes your wife in front of you or something. Get a grip, man.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 AM
FBJ

35,146 posts, read 24,398,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Pot, meet kettle.

Get up off me and the floor

Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Get up off me and the floor
In your dreams, Fruit Loop Boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment