U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:59 AM

90 posts, read 293,579 times

Advertisements

I do not understand the importance of a 6.7% unemployment rate. That is a national figure that describes only those people who are only in the job market and are not working currently. Even in the boom years in the late 1990s there was unemployment.

Just because a factory worker in Phoenix or Miami has a hard time finding work, does not mean that an Accountant in Minneapolis or Baltimore will. The impact of unemployment and a tough job market mostly depends on where you live, your education, skills and abilities and what type of work you do.

I believe the 6.7% unemployment rate really means nothing to the average person. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,410,008 times
Disagree most emphatically.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,115,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I also disagree. Unemployment has a trickle down effect that is scary to see.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:24 AM

90 posts, read 293,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Can I get you to agree that the job market and unemployment is stronger and weaker in some communities than others? And that the job market and your success in it varies depending on your skills, education and experience and the type of job you are applying for.

For example, if you are a autoworker who has been building cars in Detroit for years and have been laid off, things are not good for you. But if you are a scientist in Washington DC with a Top Secret Clearance the unemployment rate for factory workers in Detroit has little impact on you.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:47 AM

1,667 posts, read 8,379,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I also disagree. Unemployment has a trickle down effect that is scary to see.
If you are a scientist, you may be working on a 100-mpg fuel, whereas your Top Secret Clearance is used as it is a political interest in D.C. So, the autoworkers being laid off will have an affect on you, as the fuel-efficient cars are now low on the list of priorities. Back to making the Pinto.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:01 PM

248 posts, read 694,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
I do not understand the importance of a 6.7% unemployment rate. That is a national figure that describes only those people who are only in the job market and are not working currently. Even in the boom years in the late 1990s there was unemployment.

Just because a factory worker in Phoenix or Miami has a hard time finding work, does not mean that an Accountant in Minneapolis or Baltimore will. The impact of unemployment and a tough job market mostly depends on where you live, your education, skills and abilities and what type of work you do.

I believe the 6.7% unemployment rate really means nothing to the average person. Do you agree?
i disagree. the reason i say this because it's good to know what's going on in our country. so many people today don't care and with this, it might give those people a reality check as to what is going on.

yes, we've always had unemployment but with the technological advances we've had, 6.7% is considered high and shows that unemployment can be universal.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,866,740 times
There are jobs here in Texas. I see Help Wanted signs everywhere I go. Saw one at Starbucks this morning. I hear employers advertising on the radio for workers. Heard one yesterday for truck drivers for that JB Hunt company. The Dallas Business Journal this week said there would always be jobs for 2-5 year staff accountants. It also said law firms were still hiring lateral attorneys. There are layoffs, too. EDS was taken over by HP and the EDS workers were laid off last week. Course the GM plant is being idled for 3 weeks. JC Penney had a lay off. So, I don't know what to think about the employment numbers. Locally our unemployment rate is better than the national rate.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:14 PM

180 posts, read 325,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
For example, if you are a autoworker who has been building cars in Detroit for years and have been laid off, things are not good for you. But if you are a scientist in Washington DC with a Top Secret Clearance the unemployment rate for factory workers in Detroit has little impact on you.
what a strawman!

comparing a known industry in trouble and gov't work which never goes out of style are 2 polar extremes. How many ppl have cushy jobs in gov't?

there are alot of ppl who work for a myriad of companies that supply parts and technology to auto manf. in this country that have already been affected and will continue to be.

your example is absurd.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 AM

470 posts, read 1,054,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
There are jobs here in Texas. I see Help Wanted signs everywhere I go. Saw one at Starbucks this morning. I hear employers advertising on the radio for workers. Heard one yesterday for truck drivers for that JB Hunt company. The Dallas Business Journal this week said there would always be jobs for 2-5 year staff accountants. It also said law firms were still hiring lateral attorneys. There are layoffs, too. EDS was taken over by HP and the EDS workers were laid off last week. Course the GM plant is being idled for 3 weeks. JC Penney had a lay off. So, I don't know what to think about the employment numbers. Locally our unemployment rate is better than the national rate.
Ive had no luck trying to break into a staff accountant role with no experience

Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,761,570 times
There are ALWAYS crap jobs. (working in a store or fast food place).

There is plenty of underemployment here in Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment