Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,442,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I also hate the ones that are always saying they can get XYZ for cheaper with RST. Go there then, I can't change the prices my company charges, I'm just a retail worker. I reside on the bottom of the chain.
Yet we're on the front line for taking all the abuse!
I used to joke with people that we should have targets on us and behind us

Quote:
Just one more thing, and this isn't directed at customers, but the stores. Please please please please stop playing Christmas music from November 1st until Jan 1st. Or at least play a large variety or better yet, play regular songs mixed in as well. Listening to the same 5 Christmas songs over and over and over again while I'm doing my gift shopping, makes me want to scream!
And that's only bad for the time you're shopping in there...think about the workers there that have to listen to it all day long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,992,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Yet we're on the front line for taking all the abuse!
I used to joke with people that we should have targets on us and behind us

And that's only bad for the time you're shopping in there...think about the workers there that have to listen to it all day long!
Oh I know, I work (well not now because of disability) in a Mall that plays 7 songs for Christmas and 2 of them are the same song, just sung by different people.

Our selection includes: Winter wonderland, Drummer Boy, Feliz Navidad, Jingle Bells and one other that I can't remember right now. By about the 2nd day I'm sooooo sick of Christmas music. Of course it is the only time our mall plays music with words, otherwise we just get the elevator music blaring from the speakers.

I've often wondered why we don't have targets painted on our uniforms.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Oh I know, I work (well not now because of disability) in a Mall that plays 7 songs for Christmas and 2 of them are the same song, just sung by different people.

Our selection includes: Winter wonderland, Drummer Boy, Feliz Navidad, Jingle Bells and one other that I can't remember right now. By about the 2nd day I'm sooooo sick of Christmas music. Of course it is the only time our mall plays music with words, otherwise we just get the elevator music blaring from the speakers.

I've often wondered why we don't have targets painted on our uniforms.
Well if you work at Target I guess there's no excuse

As for the Christmas music,nowadays most places have satellite music which usually offers more of a selection than a store that just has an old fashioned player in the back with like 1 CD...

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 AM

535 posts, read 1,737,234 times
I worked for a PC shop once that was in a strip mall. We had blizzard warnings, the manager and I were the only ones left. It starting snowing at 2, by 6 there was 6" of snow on the ground and no one on the roads. We normally closed at 8. The manager called his boss, who said "stay open". At 7:55pm some moron drives up in his PU, gets out, enters the store. His wife, who is behind him, says "you don't even own a computer". I look up, he looks at me and says "I'm a shoppin'". 8pm hit, I told him that we were closing. He had a fit. "I didn't drive all the way here from ______ to leave". I got the manager, who couldn't get the guy to leave. Finally he says "you're scared about driving in the snow? if you had a proper 4x4 you wouldn't have to worry about it, ain't my problem". What a ****bag. He finally left when we locked the door and started turning off the lights. Took me 2.5 hours to drive home 2 miles.

For all of those idiots there are the good people. I took a hotel job after I left the PC shop (then went belly up). Client came in once, guy was on a corporate rate. Said he'd never been to Asheville before. I gave him some not so touristy info and sent him on his way. A year later he comes back with is family in tow. I greet him by his name, the look on his face - he was shocked. After they checked in they went out to eat and brought me back something - for 5 nights in a row. Then I can a letter from some guy up the food chain in Nortel thanking me for taking care of this guy. Of course the hotel manager got upset because I gave the guy the corporate rate.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM

612 posts, read 1,838,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Well if you work at Target I guess there's no excuse

As for the Christmas music,nowadays most places have satellite music which usually offers more of a selection than a store that just has an old fashioned player in the back with like 1 CD...
No one at my Target wears a Target logo... Just a red shirt...

Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 PM

167 posts, read 451,819 times
Gee, I love this thread. I was in retail in the 70's. Store policies were different. People seemed different back then. In the 90's I worked in customer service on the phone. Wow, people really changed. For the most part, Americans are demanding and rude and customer service at most stores really is lacking. I don't shop alot anymore but gocery store. What infuriates me is the checker will talk to the customer about their kids, about their problems, etc. They actually stop and talk and I am wanting to check out my groceries and leave. Or visa versa, where the customer is telling their whole life story to the grocery checker. And of course, I become irratated and I am the customer that complains, makes loud noises to get to the attention of these people, but they don't care.
For those people shopping at grocery stores, please just check out your groceries without telling your life story or troubles to grocery clerk, save it for your beautician.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
I worked for a PC shop once that was in a strip mall. We had blizzard warnings, the manager and I were the only ones left. It starting snowing at 2, by 6 there was 6" of snow on the ground and no one on the roads. We normally closed at 8. The manager called his boss, who said "stay open". At 7:55pm some moron drives up in his PU, gets out, enters the store. His wife, who is behind him, says "you don't even own a computer". I look up, he looks at me and says "I'm a shoppin'". 8pm hit, I told him that we were closing. He had a fit. "I didn't drive all the way here from ______ to leave". I got the manager, who couldn't get the guy to leave. Finally he says "you're scared about driving in the snow? if you had a proper 4x4 you wouldn't have to worry about it, ain't my problem". What a ****bag. He finally left when we locked the door and started turning off the lights. Took me 2.5 hours to drive home 2 miles.

For all of those idiots there are the good people.
Not enough of them to keep me going

As far as the snow thing,that can vary. Our 'corporate' store was in another area so they sometimes had rules that only if the local mall started to close b/c of snow then we could close.

Even worse than that were holiday hours! I now feel for any retail employees that have to work on holidays! I think there should be some sort of rules instituted that any 'non-essential' store should not have to be open on holidays like Christmas. I worked at a vitamin store for cryan out loud...how many people are going to drop everything on Christmas because they need vitamins? Our corporate genius managers didn't think about that...in fact it was apparent they didn't think much at all

Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM

612 posts, read 1,838,993 times
My bosses at Target say to strike up a conversation with the guest who is at your lane to provide a pleasant experience. Seriously, can you really have a conversation in 1 minute? No. I limit it to: "How are you?" "I'm good" "Find everything OK?" Always it's a "Yes". I am the fastest checker in my store and I don't even cashier that much. I'm usually on the floor busting my arse even more than cashiering.

I personally do not care about your children or your problems while I'm at work. I'm not being paid to be a therapist or to listen about what you are planning for Thanksgiving.

If the person was to ask me my plans for Christmas, I will just say "Oh, working. Nothing much" "Oh, that's too bad"

Anyway, my stepdad worked in retail back in the 70s in Western NY (Rochester I believe) and he said it wasn't as bad as today. He witnessed first hand a customer or "guest" yelling at me last week for something small.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasulady View Post
Gee, I love this thread. I was in retail in the 70's. Store policies were different. People seemed different back then. In the 90's I worked in customer service on the phone. Wow, people really changed. For the most part, Americans are demanding and rude and customer service at most stores really is lacking.
I think it's because of all this p.c. 'time out' junk parents of this generation are teaching to their kids,which in turn makes them just not care due to lack of discipline. When I was growing up,we had the right amount of fears or at least respect instilled in us.
I think we ought to revert back to this and either properly train customer service people to deal with unruly customers or simply lift the rules regarding taking their crap and allow the customer service people to give it right back and put them in their place!

Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,024,370 times
Here is one difference I noted when I lived in England.

Clerks at stores GET TO SIT DOWN!!! Yes, they have chairs and sit all day.
In the USA you stand up and have to deal with it.

Today we were at Walmart and they have Dunkin Donuts in there. One person was working the counter. ONE person. Took her 10 or 15 minutes to help each customer.

Hire more help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment