Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:44 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Smelly jobs suddenly a lot more attractive - St. Petersburg Times

Sounds like it's rough in Pinellas county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 AM

331 posts, read 1,384,879 times
jobs are hard to come by nowadays. A lot of good paying jobs are being shifted overseas, leaving people to fight for 'table scraps'

Before i was hired at my current job, i went 3 months without a job. I had applied anywhere and everywhere i could.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
jobs are hard to come by nowadays. A lot of good paying jobs are being shifted overseas, leaving people to fight for 'table scraps'

Before i was hired at my current job, i went 3 months without a job. I had applied anywhere and everywhere i could.
no kidding. Times have changed. There are still people out there who think that anyone can get a job. Even minimum wage jobs are competitive now! No wonder everyone is shaking in their boots about losing their jobs. It will take the average joe 6 months at least to find ANY work.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:33 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Are you warm and breathing?

Are you willing to work?

If you can answer yes to both of the above, Wyoming awaits you. In the oil patch, starters can earn at least twenty per hour.

State unemployment is 3.2%. Some counties are worse; but some are better, e.g., Sublette at 1.5%. That's not a typo.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Are you warm and breathing?

Are you willing to work?

If you can answer yes to both of the above, Wyoming awaits you. In the oil patch, starters can earn at least twenty per hour.

State unemployment is 3.2%. Some counties are worse; but some are better, e.g., Sublette at 1.5%. That's not a typo.
Isn't the cost of living pretty high in Wyoming though? Even relative to the average income? I was casually looking at real estate in the great white north and I remember a trailer home and a quarter acre of land going for around 100k. Maybe it was Alaska...

I'd love to live in Wyoming. Hell I'd dig for some oil for 20 bucks as long as I am wrong about the high cost of living thing..

Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Shute I've worked willingly for alot less than that...granted not in a landfill though

Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I don't think oil work is something you can just walk into because you happen to arrive there ready to work. And it's very dangerous work if you don't know what you're doing.
Maybe you could post on the Wyoming board to see if people know more about the possibilities (and downsides).

Old 12-18-2008, 04:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Heck,
Let's all become ice truckers (wow, the romance of the open road) or snowcrab fishermen (the romance of the frozen sea).

No offense meant to the OP but it's hard to just pick up and get a job like this when you are unskilled.

Most places just want a person who can do a job running, no training.

There is a REASON this job pays $20 an hour.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Wyoming is even trashier than Kentucky. I went in a Long John Silvers there in Gillette and after ordering my food went to the john. The toilet and urinal were both backed up and there was urine and water all over the floor. When I went back to the line I got my money back rather than the food but what's really interesting is that when I informed the other customers still waiting for their food about the mess in the john they had no reaction, just continued waiting in line--- no big deal. Business as usual I reckon.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Wyoming is even trashier than Kentucky. I went in a Long John Silvers there in Gillette and after ordering my food went to the john. The toilet and urinal were both backed up and there was urine and water all over the floor. When I went back to the line I got my money back rather than the food but what's really interesting is that when I informed the other customers still waiting for their food about the mess in the john they had no reaction, just continued waiting in line--- no big deal. Business as usual I reckon.
Probably because there are so many 'nature' people out there that just having an indoor john is a bonus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment