Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:07 PM

144 posts, read 158,725 times

Advertisements

Could this be for a person in their forties to start a new career in massage therapy? What are the opportunities like, do majority prefer a female over a male massaging them, and what do they earn.
Just always seem like an interesting line of work.
Any feedback is helpful.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 06:57 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Check your state laws, I think most have to attend so many hours and get licensed. Someone in their 40's could easily get into the business. My only concern is right now with the economy, I am sure massages are the first thing to go. Another thing to consider, even in Spa's they only have limited masseuses that work there.

I am not sure how they are paid but I would say that it would be a commision based as with hairstylist, so lets say the massage cost $100.00 you would get 40 or 50 percent of that.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 AM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
There's a licensed massage person on every corner in the Boston area, due to schools being here. And yes, it's the first thing you stop doing when budgeting.
I know one woman who got into that, then into being a chiropractor, but unfortunately her hands became arthritic and she can't do it anymore. It's very physical overall, and specifically for the hands. It's something to consider as you get older.
That said, I pay $70/hr for a deep muscle massage. The woman runs her business out of her home (New Hampshire) and has to meet certain codes and sanitary/lighting, etc. for that one additional room.
It helps to have a spouse with a steady job and health insurance. Best wishes.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 14,924 times
I changed careers at 45 and went to massage school. I now have a thriving business for nearly 4 years and I have not seen a lack due to the economy. I charge competing rates my overhead is low since I rent a small space in an existing compatable business. The profits can range from $20 per massage to $100 depending on what the client needs or can afford. The key is to target your advertising to the people it fits. I do yellowpages, network groups, leave my card with chiropractors and I have had enormous success with my referral program.

In the scheme of things my initial cost was about $15K for training and materials all of which I am still using most of. ie. Sheets, massage table, blankets, bplsters, heated clay packs and the device to store them heating, music, furnishings. Monthly costs can include: rent, consumables like oils, aromatherapy, linens, advertising, water, housekeeping, laundry....you get my drift. Keeping these in mind most of your expense is tax deductable. Dont forget that there are yearly dues for insurance (highly recomended), fees, and keeping up on your education. I spend a few hundred $s a year on education alone. This is required to renew your license.

I practiced at home for a while but I find that it complicates the experience as well as being hard on the household routines. As mentioned in the post from brightdoglover there are certain codes you should meet with cleanliness and sanitation. Treating new clients at home is always a risk and I just wont put myself in that situation anymore.

Another thing to remember, to do this very physical work you need to maintain a good routine of self care. Exercise and good eating and sleeping habits are crucial to perfomance. I also find meditation and yoga practice benificial for my well being and keeps me grounded after working on so many bodies.

Most schools offer an introductory 1 day class to see if it is a good fit. You should check out what there is available in the area you plan to study. Or consider traveling to a good school and renting a room while you attend. Your required hours of practice to become licensed can vary from state to state and is not always transferable so find a school that give you the best of training.

I find that someone that is familiar with getting massage is aware of the benifits and in many cases is not concerned whether the practitioner is male or female, however they usually have a therapist and go there. Creating your own customer base is something that will depend on your skill as well as several other factors; hygeine, services offered, payment options, hours, location (x3 this matters), overall just how the first time with your technique can make or break a repeat client.

Make friends with a local therapist and pick their brain. Get some massages and learn what you like and dont like. The best thing I did was to have regular massage sessions before I ever made the leap. It is a way of life, it changes you. If it is a choice of income then think twice. I traded high stress and great income for OK income but the quality of life that I have now is unbeatable.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,095 times
BalancingAct, thanks for sharing! I am also considering a new career as an LMT and enjoyed your input.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 PM

176 posts, read 522,658 times
Default have you considered?

sure, you can do it but you have to remember that many people who do this suffer carpal tunnel pain and joint pain. It's really hard on you physically.

then, you have to find touching the not so nice bodies of perfect strangers not repulsive. I couldn't do it but it takes all kinds.

then you have to consider how you will work, on your own, with others?
How much can you actually make?

good luck

Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,380 times
I thought message therapy was a legal scam to get women working in brothels? Where I live most massage shops offer sexual services if requested. They just busted 7 shops.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:52 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I thought message therapy was a legal scam to get women working in brothels? Where I live most massage shops offer sexual services if requested. They just busted 7 shops.
That's why police depts have Vice to bust those illegal businesses!!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
The woman who does my deep muscle massage said that she gets few calls thinking it's a sex service. Her sign says "Appointment only" so that cuts out walk-ins. I'm not sure how else she keeps out the sex people, but certainly massage is a very legitimate business/service, and is not just a scam to pull people into sex working.
One key would be how it's advertised. If there's any hint of scanty clothing, beautiful girls, etc., that's a tipoff. Real massage places/people go out of their way to sound therapeutic, have RN after their names or other licensed credentials, no mention of "full body massage" (meaning 'hand job place') and so on. If it sounds more medical and professional, that's it. If it sounds like "Calgon take me away," be suspicious.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,095 times
This line of discussion just shows how the field of therapeutic massage is still in it's infancy. Talk about room for growth, wow !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment