Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,617,108 times

Advertisements

1) Archaeologist ( not working due to long term illness)
2) Archaeologist !
But If I can't do my job any more Travel writer or Marine biologist would do !

I am taking a degree in translation at the moment so I can work from home if I can't return to Archaeology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,186,471 times
1. "dotcom" Entrepreneur and Horse Farmer
2. "dotcom" Entrepreneur and Horse Farmer

I suppose I'm living the American Dream, or at least my rendition of it.

Sean

Old 05-21-2007, 06:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,496,744 times
current occupation-----------domestic engineer

would like to be -----------20

Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,152,886 times
For most of my professional career, I've been working as an accountant, primarily for nonprofits. It pays the bills alright but I'm not really interested in any of the responsibility that the managers above me deal with. So I wouldn't mind moving on in one way or another.

My "realistic" dream job would be either:

1) A budget analyst. What can I say? I like the idea of putting a budget together and monitoring its progress. It probably sounds boring to most but there is actually a lot of competition (at least in the DC metro) for this type of job. However, I caught in the catch-22 of needing the experience to get the job and vice-versa.

Or;

2) A travel agent. I love travelling... or at least the idea of doing so. Whenever I'm not hanging out on this site , I'm often on a similar travel forum picking up ideas for my favorite destinations. Despite my reserved personality, I think I would be successful at making recommendations and setting up itineraries. The challenge would be trying to match my current salary in the age of consolidation and online travel sites.

My "fantasy" dream jobs would be:

1) A translator of international languages. I enjoyed studying French and Spanish in school and sometimes wonder if I should had been a language major in college. Although I could probably put my Spanish to good use sooner, I am in the process of relearning French as I enjoy it more. Eventually I hope to do the same for Spanish as well as a few other languages. The market for translators as well as interpreters is pretty tight, though. Then again, being a mulitlingual accountant (or travel agent! ) might not hurt my career prospects.

Or:

2) A songwriter. I have a lot of musical ideas but a limited way to express them. However, I am on my second stint of taking piano lessons (for about a year, this time) and I hope to set a PC at my place that I can devote to composing in the not-too-distant future. I know enough about the music business to realize that I'd be more successful promoting myself online than trekking off to NY or LA. I also realize that although songwriters can make more than the artists that they compose for, the competition is steep, to say the least.

I'm glad I found this thread; it's been very therapeutic for me!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:29 PM

143 posts, read 577,375 times
Operations manager for large property managment company 25 years and totally burnt out tried of dealing with everyone problems

Would like to try anything that makes people happy at the end of day

Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 AM

44 posts, read 235,965 times
Mortgage Broker
Mortgage Broker

Old 05-23-2007, 12:58 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,784,426 times
Smile WOW Tone509, I absolutely 'love' your answer

IF only I was younger and you weren't married..... Just teasing, but thanks for sharing and much success!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
For most of my professional career, I've been working as an accountant, primarily for nonprofits. It pays the bills alright but I'm not really interested in any of the responsibility that the managers above me deal with. So I wouldn't mind moving on in one way or another.

My "realistic" dream job would be either:

1) A budget analyst. What can I say? I like the idea of putting a budget together and monitoring its progress. It probably sounds boring to most but there is actually a lot of competition (at least in the DC metro) for this type of job. However, I caught in the catch-22 of needing the experience to get the job and vice-versa.

Or;

2) A travel agent. I love travelling... or at least the idea of doing so. Whenever I'm not hanging out on this site , I'm often on a similar travel forum picking up ideas for my favorite destinations. Despite my reserved personality, I think I would be successful at making recommendations and setting up itineraries. The challenge would be trying to match my current salary in the age of consolidation and online travel sites.

My "fantasy" dream jobs would be:

1) A translator of international languages. I enjoyed studying French and Spanish in school and sometimes wonder if I should had been a language major in college. Although I could probably put my Spanish to good use sooner, I am in the process of relearning French as I enjoy it more. Eventually I hope to do the same for Spanish as well as a few other languages. The market for translators as well as interpreters is pretty tight, though. Then again, being a mulitlingual accountant (or travel agent! ) might not hurt my career prospects.

Or:

2) A songwriter. I have a lot of musical ideas but a limited way to express them. However, I am on my second stint of taking piano lessons (for about a year, this time) and I hope to set a PC at my place that I can devote to composing in the not-too-distant future. I know enough about the music business to realize that I'd be more successful promoting myself online than trekking off to NY or LA. I also realize that although songwriters can make more than the artists that they compose for, the competition is steep, to say the least.

I'm glad I found this thread; it's been very therapeutic for me!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 AM

989 posts, read 2,761,185 times
Current occupation: House flipper

Goal occupation: Teacher

Old 05-23-2007, 07:41 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,152,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
IF only I was younger and you weren't married..... Just teasing, but thanks for sharing and much success!!!
LOL Thanks for the kudos! I really didn't set out to write that much but it just spilled out of me. Thanks for coming up with the thread!

Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,784,426 times
Cool WOW elvis, I'm impressed!!!

You must be pretty strong to flip houses ?! Please do tell us what you plan on teaching? Rep Points 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
Current occupation: House flipper

Goal occupation: Teacher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment