Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,428,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If your employer is a creep, I would not give any notice. On your last day just simply tell them at 5PM you will not be back and give them the address to mail your last paycheck. Make sure you spend the week before cleaning out your desk or locker.
If however your employer is honourable, it is right for you to give as much notice as you can. In my last job, because it was a union job, I did not have to worry about beling fired when I gave notice so I gave a 30 day notice in writing and I even added "I will be happy to assist in the selection and training of my replacement in any way I can and will be available via telephone after my separation should my replacement have a need to consult with me about anything."
But if you are in a non union job remember that the boss can fire you at anytime for any reason or for no reason at all and some bosses get offended when employees quit. So the question becomes can you do without 2 weeks of pay should you tell the boss man "I quit" and he tell you "you're fired" and you say "you can't fire me, I quit" and he say "you can't quit, I fired you".
Yes, this thought is crossing my mind. I have never walked off a job, but it's looking very tempting. Still it's not my style to not be responsible. I try to do the right thing and expect the same in kind, but then I've never dealt with an employer like this either. All in all, I would just love to walk off this job, but it's not good in terms of future references to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 01:04 PM

926 posts, read 2,741,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
not fired but....

my last job I gave my 2 week notice as per company policy. The next day I was told that since work was scarce to not even come in again.
Ive seen that happen alot in the call center and its just because people are so easily replaceable there. Unfortunatly it can happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If your employer is a creep, I would not give any notice. On your last day just simply tell them at 5PM you will not be back and give them the address to mail your last paycheck. Make sure you spend the week before cleaning out your desk or locker.
I wouldnt recommend this just because you dont want to burn any bridges, if another employer calls your job to get a recommendation or hear about your work ethic, the first thing they will say is that you didnt give a two week notice, you just quit. And because of that your future employer may not want to hire you because you may just up and leave them with no notice when you really need them. Two of my friends have done this with a few of their jobs and they are basically blacklisted in cincinnati- they are non hireable...

Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,811,892 times
If you give notice also do it in writing and date it and keep a copy. I had a employer do it when I gave two week notice and the next day I was layed off. The cool part of it. I was just sick of the job. And when they layed me off I became elegible for Unemployment. So I had money coming in while I looked for another job.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:54 PM

983 posts, read 4,432,984 times
What kind of company is this? I resigned from a city job and they have forms for everything. You just go to HR forms and print it out, fill it out and turn it in to yr immediate supervisor. Then he/she has to sign it and turn it into HR. No big deal.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 PM

702 posts, read 2,290,412 times
No, but a reversed scenario happened to me once and has probably happened to others. In my early 20s I worked as a sales clerk for the Circle K company (convenience store/gas station). The job description states the duties as serving customers, running the cash register, stocking the shelves, etc. It's a minimum wage job (was then, probably still is). Nonetheless, that was my job and I worked hard and was honest.

I worked an evening shift, and our list of duties left by the manager kept growing and growing. Eventually it evolved into parking lot maintenance services - scraping up car oil on the parking lot, cleaning gas pumps and signs with a bucket and sponge, landscaping. Give me a break. I refused to do such tasks while at the same time being responsible to run back into the store to serve the customers - I told them that and I passively resisted the orders. It wasn't long before my 40-hour shift was down to 24, then 16, then 8 - ONE DAY A WEEK.

I was effectively demoted to to part time so they would not be liable for a firing or unemployment benefits. Naturally, I just walked out of that place without notice and never looked back.

I guess my point is if you're unhappy with your job and it's a "lack of production" scenario...just keep doing your job as you put in your resignation and do it the right way. It's their loss.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,808,781 times
"movin'on"
I feel very strange about asking my boss to initial it. To do so is to say "I don't trust you!" IMHO. What kind of exit is that?

My plan is to give a verbal resignation, face to face, and follow it up with an email. A hard copy can be tossed. An email cannot. There's a record of it. Plus, I will think of some way to cc HR.
IMO"
The "creepiness" from previous employers is a problem. If you could get a letter of reference while still there, great.
To, "Newcastle" if you have a written policy, handbook, which gives an employee vacation time, and it is due to an employee, it is rightfully theirs. For an employer to add a clause in the handbook, "requiring" an employee to give 2 weeks notice otherwise they forfeit their earned vacation time is not right. If you read the handbook, if the company has one, the wording is most likely, "requests" the two week notice. There have been several cases in Texas where employees that have been seperated from past employers that have earned vacation pay for previous years work, ergo, 2 weeks due for work finished on or before 12/31/08, and then quit 1/2/09. That work was finished and completed on 12/31/08, therefore that vacation time was in a contract that was finished and earned. They can't add a stipulation and tie it to something that might happen sometime in 2009. That is a scare tactic, any employment office in any state will get the money paid if an employer doesnt want to pay it. Just file the claim for unpaid wages. If you have a handbook saying vacation is earned in such a way, ie, 2 weeks for every year worked, then that is a contract.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times
No matter what you do give them two weeks notice. That is standard with many companies including some you might be trying to go to work for. Just because you don't like the way your company does business does mean you have to be the same way. That way they can not just say that you Left without notice and you have no defense with another employer.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:12 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,428,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No matter what you do give them two weeks notice. That is standard with many companies including some you might be trying to go to work for. Just because you don't like the way your company does business does mean you have to be the same way. That way they can not just say that you Left without notice and you have no defense with another employer.
Yes, but this crazy company has a policy where each week you don't "meet the numbers" you are put on progressive discipline. I've received one warning and am about to receive another for this past week. They will expect me to meet their numbers in these next two weeks and go so far as to move me further on the path to termination even though I've quit. I've never seen such a thing. I am doing them a favor and the right thing by giving a two week notice but they are going to still keep on with their nonsense, which is the whole reason I am leaving in the first place. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment