Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,503 times

Advertisements

In California when an early retirement package is offered, can an employer ask you to sign a waiver of rights to file for unemploymnt once that package runs out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
I will be laid of by March 2012 after working with my company for 12yrs. My company will give me a severance package after i signed a form not to sue the company(maryland). According to the package after signing the release form, there is a waiting period for seven days before they pay the lump some. Can i apply for unemployment and when will it be effective. thanks. Rankin

Old 06-13-2013, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 29,560 times
I am new to FL but heard that from 2011 in FL, even if you got a severance pay in lump sum, they use some kind of formula to calc how much you got on weekly basis comparing to what benefits you entitled. If that's less, then they pay you the difference between 275$(maximum) and what you got! (i.e. you got from the company 200$ (not sure how it's calculated, simply dividing your amount by weeks?), unemployment 275, your check will be 75$) .
Then, let's say you had 80K, and got 12 weeks severance, means that you are not eligible to receive unemployment benefits for the whole year since you got enough??? The severance pay is a benefit company offers, should be nothing to do with unemployment benefits that paid out of taxes company already paid...my opinion

Again, that's from someone's experience, but here is the link...Anyone from FL who had an experience?

Frequently Asked Questions - FloridaJobs.org

Last edited by elle414; 06-13-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,390,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle414 View Post
I am new to FL but heard that from 2011 in FL, even if you got a severance pay in lump sum, they use some kind of formula to calc how much you got on weekly basis comparing to what benefits you entitled. If that's less, then they pay you the difference between 275$(maximum) and what you got! (i.e. you got from the company 200$ (not sure how it's calculated, simply dividing your amount by weeks?), unemployment 275, your check will be 75$) .
Then, let's say you had 80K, and got 12 weeks severance, means that you are not eligible to receive unemployment benefits for the whole year since you got enough??? The severance pay is a benefit company offers, should be nothing to do with unemployment benefits that paid out of taxes company already paid...my opinion

Again, that's from someone's experience, but here is the link...Anyone from FL who had an experience?

Frequently Asked Questions - FloridaJobs.org

After reading the link, I think you can still collect unemployment if your severance was paid as a lump sum on your last day or work. Some companies cut one big check with all weeks of severance rolled into it.

Other companies pay your severance a week at a time. In this scenario, it seems that FL won't allow you to collect unemployment compensation until all these weekly payments are completed.

Disclaimer. This is my interpretation after reading the above link. I could be wrong.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM

16 posts, read 29,560 times
Thank you. I have a friend of mine going to the unemployment office to get it explained to her. It's not for me. She got a lump sum a long time ago and was collecting benefits from another state. Now they told her that she is eligible for some from FL, and FL says YES but does not pay due to the fact that she got severance a few month ago. It is just so weird, waiting to see what she can find out.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 819 times
In Maryland they call collecting severance and unemployment "double dipping" therefore not allowed until severance runs out.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,723,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunhater View Post
In Maryland they call collecting severance and unemployment "double dipping" therefore not allowed until severance runs out.
I was just laid off in November. Because of the number of people being laid off I was given 60 days notice. I was told on Nov 15 but my last working day was to be Dec 26 and my last non-working day was Jan 15. In addition I was given about 4 weeks of salary as my severance. For unemployment they took my severance amount into consideration when calculating when I could start to receive benefits but they counted it from my last working day and as a result I was eligible for benefits until Feb 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment