Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
This is the first day of my last semester of college.
I was a non-trad student as well. I began in my late 20's. I'm now putting my husband through school, and he's 40. He is a chem major. If we can afford it, he'll finish his MS. I recommend the same for any science major. The MS will put you over the edge when starting out.

Quote:
The only problem I may encounter in job seeking is age discrimination, but I can't do too much about that.
Everyone at my job thinks I'm 25 lol. I certainly pass for my age (mid-late 30's) but we're so ingrained with tradition that it's completely overlooked. Of course, none of them know how old I am, not even my lab mgr. Only HR knows and they exist in some black hole I'm not privy to enter lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
If you have a weak, soft major like theatre, which is a laughable major anyways, of course you won't be able to find work.

Human development? Another soft, easy major people breeze through. It's worthless.

The point being, if you take these BS majors of course you won't be able to find work. Last but not least, you need a graduate degree to be worth something these days.

It's the way of the world. Too many people are going to college when college is not for everyone.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The point being, if you take these BS majors of course you won't be able to find work. Last but not least, you need a graduate degree to be worth something these days.
Hey! I resent that remark!

Er, wait, you're not talking about Bachelor of Science.

Never mind

Old 01-21-2009, 01:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I've heard of people having a graduate degree and it not being worth much.

Quote:
If you have a weak, soft major like theatre, which is a laughable major anyways, of course you won't be able to find work.

Human development? Another soft, easy major people breeze through. It's worthless.

It's the way of the world. Too many people are going to college when college is not for everyone.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,322 times
Quote:
I've heard of people having a graduate degree and it not being worth much.
It depends what and where the degree comes from....

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
An undergraduate degree is really like a high school diploma - it does not require much thought. Now, back in the day when I got my MBA, I had to think. Therein lies the difference. One has to learn how to critically think in an area of interest in order to make it count.
I strongly disagree with this statement...you get out of your degree what was put into it, such as life. There are those who skated through college who didn't deserve to be there, thus they are the ones that bring the very stigma of "useless college grads" to the table, and there are those who lead the world with the education they obtained. If someone thought their undergrad was useless or "too easy", they most likely did not pursue it with much thought to begin with.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM

275 posts, read 469,861 times
i will be happy if i can get any somewhat decent paying job when i graduate in may with my grad degree...and its in accounting

Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,322 times
Quote:
An undergraduate degree is really like a high school diploma - it does not require much thought. Now, back in the day when I got my MBA, I had to think. Therein lies the difference. One has to learn how to critically think in an area of interest in order to make it count.
LOL... try getting your undergrad degree in any engineering... then we'll talk.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:

I have a friend who graduated with a BA in Theatre from UCSB and she makes a ton of money and travels all over the world (she just got back from an 8 month stint in South Africa), so that's not necessarily true, but I know she's not the norm. Plus, I don't have my graduate degree and I'm in a job I love and make enough money to live very comfortably. I have never thought college was the end all be all for success.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
Ugh! All these posts are so discouraging. We just sent my oldest child off to college. We have another one starting college next year. Their dad did great with a two year degree at a trade school. Now he is managing 35-40 people in Fortune 50 company. I don't think that would be possible today with an AA. There are higher standards for young people today. We live in a very competetive world.
I do believe a college degree is important if all it does is get your foot in the door. Having one can be a cofindence booster as well. You feel like you have achieved something and that is important.
It's not all about the college degree though. Good people skills are so important. They will help you maintain a job. At least that is what I have seen with my spouse. He practices the Golden Rule and generally cares about people. Having a good reputation and work ethic goes far in the business world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment