Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,021 times

Advertisements

My company will be relocating to another location and they have a very generous relocation plan. They pay for all closing costs of selling my current house and buy down 1point off my new loan. I don't want to sell my house because with the current market, I will lose money on it. Instead I want to request my company to give me an interest free bridge loan to purchase a new house that I don't have to pay any monthly payment for another 3-5 yrs on it. I was also thinking of asking them to pay $60000 towards the down payment of this new house that I want to pay to compensate for the closing cost that they had offered to pay for my current house if I wanted to sell it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
I'd say with those demands you must be pretty high up in the chain. Let us know how that works out for you. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:43 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
I don't have a good answer for you, but let's do a little math. You want a bridge loan for, presumably, a $300K home assuming you're asking for the $60K because you're putting 20% down. That's $60K. Further, you want a 3-5year bridge loan at 0%. Just to use a number, I'll put your mortgage payment at $1500. So your asking for an additional $54-90K. Is this money that you intend to pay back to the company? You're up to $114-150K in relocation money. Probably, you'll add the additional moving expenses associated with a relo so tack on another $15K or so for moving and shipping expenses.

That's a pretty steep ask that is typically reserved for Sr. Execs, one of which you may be. You're basically asking them to pay the mortgage on your existing home for 3-5 years with the hope of building equity to enable you to sell it for a profit. I wouldn't think it was outrageous if you were contractually obligated to repay your bridge loan by a specified date.

A quick google search for "negotiating a relocation package" may give you some good information. One article listed these as a general, mid-level, relo package:
  • Costs to sell the old home and buy a new one
  • A 1% origination fee
  • One six-day home-hunting trip
  • For renters, the cost to break a lease and rent a new apartment and a four-day apartment-hunting trip
  • Shipping for household goods, including packing, shipping and partial unpacking and temporary living expenses for a month or two (plus storage for your stuff), for those who can't get into the new home right away
Here's another CD thread about negotiating relocation

In any event, good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment