Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 PM

14 posts, read 40,418 times

Advertisements

I have been working at a call center for a couple of years, was actually the first person hired, I hold a college degree in communications. I have been asked to perform and I not stretching every position there from workforce to taking phone calls. My career goal within ten years is to be a operations manager, but I feel that the current operations manager may not like me personally which I feel may be holding me back from the next step in my goal process. I have been applying to be a Team Leader everytime that there is an opening and we currently have 19 openings. They have hired almost half, and I feel defeated that again I will be passed over. I actually really enjoy my job because I am dedicated and loyal to my employer and LOVE interacting with the public. I know I have my flaws and am a worry wart. I guess my question is if passed over again what is the best way to deal with it while in my current position. Do I withdraw and stop interacting as much with co workers, do I confront as to why passed over, do I look for new employment......confused and concerned and looking for answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Just a thought, but you could be too good at your current position. In other words, you're educated and good at what you do--you're a steal where you are right now. Where are they gonna find someone to do what you do at the rate they pay you? Honestly, this happens way more often than you'd think.

Alternatively, they could have a reason for not promoting you. Either way, I'd be looking for another job.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Keep doing your best at the current job AND start actively networking to uncover your next opportunity... remember two things: (1) the best time to be looking for a job is while you are employed and (2) most of the best jobs are never posted, they are opportunities that are uncovered, thus the active networking.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Default networking

are there any free networking sites that anyone could assist with....

Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
This may not be good advice, but it's what I would do. I would set up a meeting with the operations manager and ask him/her what s/he thinks you can do to improve so that you could qualify as a team leader. If that meeting doesn't go well, and since you've been with them for a couple of years, than it would seem fishy to me. Perhaps there are other co's that are currently hiring team leaders where you could apply. Maybe you could get an interview and an offer, and return to your mgr with some bargaining chips.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Default helpful

so if denied, what kind of frame of mind should i take back to current position, should I own the turndown and stay to my self and not offer additional assistance unless asked and just keep working hard, what should i do

Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrroselacrosse View Post
so if denied, what kind of frame of mind should i take back to current position, should I own the turndown and stay to my self and not offer additional assistance unless asked and just keep working hard, what should i do
Well, you're going to be hurt if they're not doing right by you and that definately sucks. Ideally, you will do your best at your job. Keep in mind that your mgr and/or colleagues can be used as excellent referances for your next position. If you deserve a promotion and aren't getting one due to a relationship issue with your mgr, than I would look to moving on or transferring. It's tough. Smart co's should treat their employees happy. period.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, you're going to be hurt if they're not doing right by you and that definately sucks. Ideally, you will do your best at your job. Keep in mind that your mgr and/or colleagues can be used as excellent referances for your next position. If you deserve a promotion and aren't getting one due to a relationship issue with your mgr, than I would look to moving on or transferring. It's tough. Smart co's should treat their employees happy. period.
something to think about but i really enjoy working there, do i go above to his/her manager and push for promotion, or let actions speak for themselves......yes i have made mistakes but it takes one to come back from one....

Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 PM

412 posts, read 939,371 times
You say that you really like your current job, and not many people can say that! Worst case, you stay in a job that you really enjoy while looking for a job with more opportunities.

In the meantime, I'd keep working and interacting with your coworkers as usual. You can still be proud of doing a good job.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrroselacrosse View Post
are there any free networking sites that anyone could assist with....
Networking is not just an online exercise, in fact that's a small part of it... but, for the online part, the first thing I would do is build a "professional" profile on LinkedIn... its a social networking site for professionals - really work it to build out your professional network. Think of your LinkedIn profile as an online resume - make sure they two support each other and no conflicting information. Professional, professional, professional - NO slang or stupid stuff like you would find on MySpace or FaceBook!

Besides that... actively network within the physical world... don't discount places where you know a wide variety of people, such as church, community events, professional organizations, volunteer opportunities... get out and about in a number of places with a variety of people AND then do two things... (1) be ready to help them and (2) share what you are looking for... the importance of GENUINLY helping others is they then want to help you - when they hear of an opportunity then you might come to mind because they already like you and have a connection with you....

Every professional person you connect to in the physical world then be sure to connect with them in LinkedIn.... that will help build and connect both your virtual and real worlds....

Really work to understand what your ideal situation is and get that down into an "elevator speech"... if you were on the elevator with the CEO of a company and he asked you what you wanted - what would your articulate answer be (and you only have 3 floors to tell him)... practice and practive that so its natural... its this little talk that you use in your networking....

Another niche area for networking is with recruiters and placement firms: Connect with a handful of executive recruiters in your area... NEVER pay to work with one... the reputible ones are paid by the companies when someone is placed, but the recruiters need a good pool of good people to draw from - so, they love to talk to potential candidates.... this discussions will also help you refine your elevator speech and your resume. fyi - each on you have a good discussion with be sure to connect with them on LinkedIn.

Build a good resume and be sure to register with (do NOT pay), Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, and Indeed.com... Then be sure to build a search agent for the things you are interested in... this option should be a lower priority then the above things, but still important...

The reason the monster,career,indeed.com are lower priority is these are only for actual positions that have already been posted... most positions are filled before being posted (thus the critical importance of active networking).

If you are looking for a real opportunity (via networking) and not just another job (via postings), then that takes work and time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment